There was plenty of action this week as teams looked to get deals done before the holiday..
- This week, the Nationals further bolstered their rotation by trading for Athletics pitcher Gio Gonzalez. The Nats acquired the 26-year-old and Robert Gilliam for four highly-regarded young players, including three of the Nationals' top ten prospects: right-handers A.J. Cole and Brad Peacock, left-hander Tom Milone and catcher Derek Norris. Gonzalez is under team control through 2015.
- The Cubs shipped Sean Marshall to the Reds this week for for Travis Wood, Dave Sappelt, and Ronald Torreyes. The Reds have been in the market a closer, but it's not clear how they'll use Marshall and how his presence will affect Cincinnati's interest in relievers such as Francisco Cordero. The trade is the Cubs' first step towards a complete rebuilding.
- The Rangers won the rights to Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish with a $51.7MM bid this week. The bid provides the Rangers with a 30-day negotiating window. If the sides don't agree to a deal within the next 30 days, Darvish will stay in Japan and the Nippon Ham Fighters won't obtain any cash from the Rangers. The Blue Jays apparently weren't close to beating out Texas.
- Speaking of the Rangers, they're still eyeing Andrew Bailey.
- The Cardinals agreed to terms with free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran on a two-year, $26MM deal that includes a full no-trade clause. Beltran, who turns 35 in April, hit .300/.385/.525 in 598 plate appearances for the Mets and Giants in 2011.
- John Danks agreed to terms with the White Sox on a five-year, $65MM extension. Danks would have been eligible for free agency following the 2012 season, his final year as an arbitration eligible player. The White Sox are paying roughly $14-15MM for each of the four free agent seasons the deal buys out (Danks' age 28-31 seasons).
- The Diamondbacks signed outfielder Jason Kubel to a two-year, $15MM deal with a mutual option for 2014. The 29-year-old is expected to play in left field for Arizona. Kubel spent his entire career with the Twins after being drafted in the 12th round in 2000.
- Rockies outfielder Seth Smith is drawing interest from the Athletics, Rays, Mariners, Braves, and Mets.
- Both the Yankees and Red Sox are pursuing Hiroki Kuroda now that he's willing to leave California.
- The Orioles are interested in Prince Fielder but not at his current asking price. There's also a broad assumption from baseball execs that the slugger's best offer will come from the Nationals. The Mariners and Cubs remain interested in Fielder but the Rangers are out on him.
- The Marlins are considering free agent southpaw Joe Saunders. Saunders was non-tendered by Arizona a few weeks back.
- The Nationals agreed to sign utility player Mark DeRosa. The CSE client drew interest from at least four teams this offseason.
- There is reportedly divide in both the Yankees' and Marlins' front offices on whether to pursue Yoenis Cespedes. While there have been conflicting reports on the Bombers interest in the outfielder, Miami is regarded by some teams as the favorite for him.
- The Twins agreed to sign right-handed starter Jason Marquis to a one-year, $3MM contract. The Mets also had interest in the New York native this offseason.
- Roy Oswalt is believed to have drawn some interest from the Red Sox, Nationals, Marlins, Blue Jays, Yankees, Rangers and Twins. It doesn't appear that a deal is close just yet, however.
- Bobby Abreu would welcome a trade out of Anaheim, though he reportedly not the type to demand one. Abreu, 38 in March, will earn $9MM in 2012 before becoming a free agent after the season.
- The Rockies continue to seek pitching help but they're unlikely to land either Joe Saunders or Hiroki Kuroda unless their asking prices come way down.
- The Cubs signed right-hander Manny Corpas to a one-year deal.
- The Angels are still exploring bullpen options and have been in touch with Darren Oliver's representatives and had scouts watch Joel Zumaya's recent showcase.
- The Rockies signed Casey Blake to a one-year, non-guaranteed contract worth $2MM plus $1MM in performance bonuses.
- The Royals signed Yuniesky Betancourt to a one-year, Major League contract. Betancourt's base salary is $2MM and he can earn an additional $500K in incentives.
- The Angels signed outfielder Ryan Langerhans, right-hander Eric Hurley, and catcher Robinzon Diaz.
- The Rangers acquired catcher Luis Martinez from the Padres in exchange for right-hander Ryan Kelly.
- The Rays avoided arbitration with right-handed reliever Joel Peralta and agreed to terms on a one-year, Major League contract for 2012 worth $2.175MM.
- The Pirates signed right-handed reliever Ryota Igarashi to a minor league deal. Igarashi, who spent the past two seasons with the Mets, is a Wasserman Media Group client.
- Some baseball people believe the Mariners are willing to trade closer Brandon League.
- Milwaukee signed Cesar Izturis to a minor league deal.
- The Nationals agreed to sign veteran outfielder Mike Cameron to a minor league deal. Cameron, 39 in January, also drew interest from the Indians this offseason.
- The Indians inked Andy LaRoche to a minor league contract.
- The Cubs and Reed Johnson have agreed to terms on a one-year contract.
- The Rockies signed right-hander Carlos Torres to a minor league contract, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes learned.
- The A's designated Jai Miller for assignment along with Landon Powell to get their 40 man roster back to the limit after the Gonzalez trade.
- The Padres reached agreement with outfielder Jeremy Hermida on a minor league deal after non-tendering him last week.
- The Giants signed arbitration eligible infielder Emmanuel Burriss to a one-year Major League contract and also signed left-hander Brian Burres this week.
- The Reds claimed Josh Judy off waivers from the Indians.
Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners Sign Willie Bloomquist
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros Sign Scott Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon White Sox Outright Blake Tekotte, Mike McDade Marlins Nearing Deal With Garrett Jones Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Mariners Could Push For David Price; Still Pursuing Free Agents Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Marlins Exploring Morrison Trades; Interested In Garrett Jones Mike Napoli Talks Reach Critical Stage Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners Close To Deal With Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Mariners Talks With Cano Still Alive After Hitting Snag Yankees Nearing Deal With Hiroki Kuroda
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors