There was plenty of original analysis and reporting published at MLBTR last week. Here's a look back ...
- Tim Dierkes learned that the Orioles were in on Hisashi Iwakuma before the Japanese right-hander eventually signed with the Mariners.
- In the midst of an interesting offseason for the White Sox, Zach Links polled our readers on whether the South Siders should rebuild, try to win now, or do both.
- Sean Marshall's yet-to-be-defined role in the Reds' bullpen could lead to an interesting extension negotiation, I explained.
- Indians right-hander Justin Masterson could be in line for an extension, as Tim wrote.
- One-year starters can provide plenty of value. Here's Tim's list of remaining free agent starters who can be had on one-year pacts.
- Which moves have surprised you most so far this offseason? Compare your list to Tim's.
- The Blue Jays are rumored to be seeking a top-of-the-rotation starter, so Ben Nicholson-Smith had a look at who could fit the bill for Toronto.
- Tim examined a potential extension for Asdrubal Cabrera on the heels of a breakout 2011 for the Indians shortstop.
- You can never have too much starting pitching, as the baseball axiom goes. Tim looked at which teams are in the hunt for a starter.
- Last week, Ben broke down Phillies lefty Cole Hamels' extension candidacy. This week, it was Phightin's outfielder Hunter Pence's turn, with Tim doing the honors.
- Tim conducted the weekly MLBTR chat. Click here for the transcript.
- Padres center fielder Cameron Maybin could be in line for an extension, a possibility Ben explored.
- Prince Fielder is the big fish among the remaining first basemen on the market, but Ben checked in on some of the others still available.
- Mike Axisa rounded up some of the best pieces from baseball's many blogs. Among the hot topics: Carlos Zambrano, Carlos Quentin, and Matt Garza.
- Which teams remain in the market for a designated hitter? Ben had a look.
- Mark Polishuk examined Howard Kendrick's extension candidacy just a day before a deal came to fruition. Props to Mark, who accurately projected that Kendrick would receive a four-year extension and was only a few millions dollars off the total value of the deal.
- With the Angels logjammed at first base, Mike polled our readers on whether the Halos should trade Mark Trumbo, Kendrys Morales, both or neither.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Fasano, Matsui, Orioles Twins Claim Sam Fuld, Designate Darin Mastroianni Yankees Designate Matt Daley For Assignment Tigers Release Alex Gonzalez Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors