There was no shortage of insightful original work published here at MLBTR during a slow news week. Here's a refresher in case you missed any of it the first time around ...
- The Cubs closed in on a deal with free agent catcher Jason Jaramillo, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes learned.
- The Blue Jays signed left-hander Aaron Laffey to a split contract, Tim learned.
- Luke Adams looked at Giants righty Matt Cain as an extension candidate.
- Tim broke down the combined payrolls of MLB's teams by division. Yes, the AL East is in the front of the pack.
- Tim listed the 10 best remaining free agents and their possible destinations.
- Which agencies and GMs are most prone to hammering out extensions? Tim had a look.
- Tim compiled a list of arbitration eligible players who are candidates to sign extensions.
- Is your team searching for some pop in its lineup? Mike Axisa rounded up a list of a dozen power hitters who are still on the free-agent market.
- The Rays are known for extending their young players and could buy out Matt Joyce's years of arbitration eligibility, explained Mike.
- While the Giants may be focused on extending Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain, Tim explored Madison Bumgarner's candidacy for an extension.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith checked in on the seven clubs that finished between 80-89 wins in 2011.
- With Phillies lefty Cole Hamels only a year away from a potential trip to free agency, Ben had a look at the southpaw's prospects for an extension.
- Ben examined what John Danks' extension could mean for Matt Garza, who is under team control for two more seasons.
- Tim held the weekly MLBTR chat. Here's the transcript.
- What have the teams with the lowest-scoring offenses in 2011 done so far this offseason? Ben checked in.
- Yu Darvish, Andrew Bailey and Michael Pineda were among the many topics covered in this week's batch of links from Baseball Blogs Weigh In, as rounded up by Mike.
- In an interesting thinkpiece, GMs from both the NBA and MLB spoke to Ben about what each sport can learn from the other.
- Mike compiled a list of remaining free agent relievers who have the ability to rack up strikeouts.
- Tyler Clippard has emerged as one of baseball's best relievers the past couple seasons, and he may be in line for an extension, as Mike explained.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors