We're into the first week of February, and just three of MLBTR's Top 50 free agents remain unsigned. Let's take a look back at the past seven days:
- Probably the biggest news of the week was Edwin Jackson agreeing to terms on a one-year, $11MM deal with the Nationals. Most thought Jackson would sign for four years, but it looks like he'll re-enter the market next offseason in hopes of that big payday.
- Casey Kotchman found a new home this week, signing with the Indians on a one-year, $3MM deal following up his surprisingly strong 2011 season. The Tribe also acquired Russ Canzler from the Rays for $100K. Canzler, a 25-year-old outfielder, had a monster season at Triple-A and won the International League MVP.
- The Cubs signed Cuban left-hander Gerardo Concepcion for $7MM. The highly-touted youngster received offers from as many as 10 clubs.
- Matt Belisle signed a one-year contract extension with the Rockies that tacks on an additional year at $4.35MM. The Rox worked out a similar extension with Rafael Betancourt last offseason.
- Todd Coffey signed a one-year deal with the Dodgers that contains a club option. His contract will guarantee him $1.3MM.
- The Brewers avoided arbitration with Shaun Marcum by agreeing to a one-year, $7.725MM deal with the right-hander.
- The Nationals beat John Lannan in arbitration, and will pay him $5MM in 2012, though they're reported to be aggressively shopping the southpaw in the wake of the Jackson signing.
- Washington wasn't the only team to beat a pitcher in arbitration. The Rays beat Jeff Niemann and will pay him $2.75MM rather than $3.2MM in 2012.
- Micah Owings signed a one-year, Major League deal with the Padres with a $1MM base. San Diego also avoided arbitration with Dustin Moseley, agreeing on a $2.0125MM salary.
- The Phillies added to their bullpen by signing Chad Qualls to a one-year deal worth $1.15MM.
- The Diamondbacks avoided arbitration with Miguel Montero by agreeing to a one-year, $5.9MM contract, and also avoided arb with Ryan Roberts by agreeing to a $2.0125MM salary.
- Yoenis Cespedes' agent, Adam Katz, is hopeful that his client will be with a team in time for Spring training. In that same piece, we find that Jim Callis of Baseball America would rank Cespedes in the 7-15 range of BA's annual Top 100 prospect list.
- Both Johnny Damon and Vladimir Guerrero are said to be seeking deals worth $5MM, though it seems unlikely that they'll be able to find that kind of coin to me.
- The Rangers signed Ron Washington to a two-year extension.
- Former Cubs GM Jim Hendry was hired by the Yankees as a special assignment scout.
- Zack Greinke, who still doesn't have an agent after parting ways with his representatives at CAA, is open to an extension with the Brewers.
- Josh Hamilton and the Rangers have tabled their extension talks for now.
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi is hoping his club adds one more bat.
- Manny Ramirez is currently deciding between the Athletics, Blue Jays, and Orioles.
- Tim Wakefield is considering retirement, and Pat Burrell has already made up his mind to do just that; the former No. 1 overall pick called it a career this week.
- Some notable minor league deals this week included Pat Neshek and Ronny Paulino signing with the Orioles, Livan Hernandez latching on with the Astros, and Trever Miller landing with the Cubs.
Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke Mets Links: Davis, Wheeler, Bargain Signings Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson Red Sox Sign Rafael Perez Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment White Sox Place Angel Sanchez On Waivers Jocketty Discusses Choo Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Cherington On Ellsbury, Masterson, Theo Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero Prospect Rumor Roundup: Talking Twins
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors