We're into the first week of February, and just three of MLBTR's Top 50 free agents remain unsigned. Let's take a look back at the past seven days:
- Probably the biggest news of the week was Edwin Jackson agreeing to terms on a one-year, $11MM deal with the Nationals. Most thought Jackson would sign for four years, but it looks like he'll re-enter the market next offseason in hopes of that big payday.
- Casey Kotchman found a new home this week, signing with the Indians on a one-year, $3MM deal following up his surprisingly strong 2011 season. The Tribe also acquired Russ Canzler from the Rays for $100K. Canzler, a 25-year-old outfielder, had a monster season at Triple-A and won the International League MVP.
- The Cubs signed Cuban left-hander Gerardo Concepcion for $7MM. The highly-touted youngster received offers from as many as 10 clubs.
- Matt Belisle signed a one-year contract extension with the Rockies that tacks on an additional year at $4.35MM. The Rox worked out a similar extension with Rafael Betancourt last offseason.
- Todd Coffey signed a one-year deal with the Dodgers that contains a club option. His contract will guarantee him $1.3MM.
- The Brewers avoided arbitration with Shaun Marcum by agreeing to a one-year, $7.725MM deal with the right-hander.
- The Nationals beat John Lannan in arbitration, and will pay him $5MM in 2012, though they're reported to be aggressively shopping the southpaw in the wake of the Jackson signing.
- Washington wasn't the only team to beat a pitcher in arbitration. The Rays beat Jeff Niemann and will pay him $2.75MM rather than $3.2MM in 2012.
- Micah Owings signed a one-year, Major League deal with the Padres with a $1MM base. San Diego also avoided arbitration with Dustin Moseley, agreeing on a $2.0125MM salary.
- The Phillies added to their bullpen by signing Chad Qualls to a one-year deal worth $1.15MM.
- The Diamondbacks avoided arbitration with Miguel Montero by agreeing to a one-year, $5.9MM contract, and also avoided arb with Ryan Roberts by agreeing to a $2.0125MM salary.
- Yoenis Cespedes' agent, Adam Katz, is hopeful that his client will be with a team in time for Spring training. In that same piece, we find that Jim Callis of Baseball America would rank Cespedes in the 7-15 range of BA's annual Top 100 prospect list.
- Both Johnny Damon and Vladimir Guerrero are said to be seeking deals worth $5MM, though it seems unlikely that they'll be able to find that kind of coin to me.
- The Rangers signed Ron Washington to a two-year extension.
- Former Cubs GM Jim Hendry was hired by the Yankees as a special assignment scout.
- Zack Greinke, who still doesn't have an agent after parting ways with his representatives at CAA, is open to an extension with the Brewers.
- Josh Hamilton and the Rangers have tabled their extension talks for now.
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi is hoping his club adds one more bat.
- Manny Ramirez is currently deciding between the Athletics, Blue Jays, and Orioles.
- Tim Wakefield is considering retirement, and Pat Burrell has already made up his mind to do just that; the former No. 1 overall pick called it a career this week.
- Some notable minor league deals this week included Pat Neshek and Ronny Paulino signing with the Orioles, Livan Hernandez latching on with the Astros, and Trever Miller landing with the Cubs.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors