Here's a look back at the week that was..
- The Orioles shipped Jeremy Guthrie to the Rockies on Monday for pitchers Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom. Guthrie was set to head to an arbitration hearing with the O's that morning but instead settled with the Rockies at $8.2MM, which is $550K below the midpoint.
- The Yankees and Pirates are discussing a possible A.J. Burnett trade with the Yankees willing to pay a substantial portion of the $33MM remaining on his contract through 2013. The Pirates appear to be willing to absorb $10MM in a trade but the Yanks want them to eat more of the deal. The Yankees have talked with four clubs about a possible deal but the Bucs seem like the most likely destination.
- Yoenis Cespedes met with Marlins brass this week and returned to the Dominican Republic with an offer. Some reports say that the outfielder was offered $40MM over six years, while others say it is less.
- MLBTR learned that the Rangers avoided arbitration with Mike Napoli, agreeing to a one-year, $9.4MM contract for 2012. Napoli, 30, earned $5.8MM in 2011 and obtained the second-highest raise for any third or fourth-time eligible position player.
- MLBTR also reported that Nelson Cruz signed a new two-year deal with the Rangers worth $16MM plus incentives. Cruz, 31, hit .263/.312/.509 with 29 home runs in 513 plate appearances last year, adding eight more homers in 70 postseason PAs.
- The Rangers and shortstop Elvis Andrus officially signed a three-year extension worth $14.4MM. Andrus owns a .271/.340/.343 line with 102 stolen bases (135 attempts) as a Major Leaguer.
- The Angels are unlikely to reach agreement on an extension with Erick Aybar before the start of the season.
- The Dodgers announced that they avoided arbitration with Clayton Kershaw, agreeing to terms on a two-year contract worth $19MM. The contract buys out Kershaw's first two seasons of arbitration eligibility, but doesn't delay his free agency. He will be arbitration eligible for the final time following the 2013 season and eligible for free agency following the 2014 season.
- Owner Lew Wolff announced that GM Billy Beane and president Michael Crowley have agreed to extensions through the 2019 season. The Athletics have made five playoff appearances under Beane, who has been with the team longer than any other American League GM.
- The Indians announced that they avoided arbitration with Asdrubal Cabrera, agreeing to terms on a one-year, $4.55MM deal for 2012.
- The Astros avoided arbitration with infielder Jed Lowrie, signing him to a one-year contract for 2012. Lowrie's deal is worth $1.15MM plus performance bonuses.
- The Phillies considered signing Roy Oswalt but a deal between the two sides is unlikely.
- Pitcher Anibal Sanchez won his arbitration case against the Marlins in what his agent Gene Mato. deems a "historic win for the players going forward." Sanchez received an $8MM salary for 2012 instead of the team's $6.9MM figure.
- Emilio Bonifacio beat the Marlins in their arbitration hearing and the Wasserman Media Group client will be paid $2.2MM in 2012 instead of the Marlins' $1.95MM figure.
- The Mariners signed reliever Shawn Camp to a Major League deal. Camp, 36, posted a 4.21 ERA, 4.3 K/9, 3.0 BB/9, 0.41 HR/9, and 53.5% groundball rate in 66 1/3 innings for the Blue Jays last year.
- The Mariners signed lefty reliever Hong-Chih Kuo to a one-year, Major League contract.
- The Diamondbacks and Craig Breslow avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $1.795MM.
- The Orioles agreed to sign Luis Ayala to a one-year, $925K deal that is pending a physical. The deal includes a $1MM team option for 2013 with a $100K buyout.
- Utility infielder Bill Hall announced his own signing with the Yankees.
- The Royals and Alex Gordon avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract worth $4.775MM. Gordon can earn another $25K in bonuses.
- The Nationals announced that they've signed infielder/outfielder Mark Teahen to a minor league deal. The Nats also signed Rick Ankiel to a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training.
- The Padres signed righty Jeff Suppan to a minor league deal that will be worth $950K if he makes the big league roster.
- The Rangers signed outfielder/first baseman Conor Jackson and left-handed reliever Joe Beimel to minor league contracts. The deals include invitations to big league Spring Training.
- The Cubs claimed Adrian Cardenas off of waivers from the Athletics and designated infielder Blake DeWitt for assignment to create 40-man roster space for him.
- The Orioles agreed to sign Nick Johnson to a minor league deal.
- The Red Sox and Alfredo Aceves avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $1.2MM deal with $100K in bonus incentives.
- The Yankees signed first baseman Russell Branyan to a minor league deal with a spring training invite. The move does not impact the team's pursuit of Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, and Raul Ibanez.
- The Cardinals agreed to a minor league deal with a spring training invite with infielder Alex Cora.
- The Dodgers signed reliever Jamey Wright to a minor league deal with a spring training invite.
- The Twins claimed Darin Mastroianni off of waivers from the Blue Jays and designated Esmerling Vasquez for assignment.
- The Cardinals signed Dominican right-hander Andres Serrano for $750K. Earlier in the week they also signed Scott Linebrink to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to Spring Training.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Poll: Did The Astros Promote George Springer At The Right Time? Quick Hits: Abreu, Thornton, Hicks Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle West Notes: Scutaro, Singleton, Martinez MLBTR Originals Quick Hits: Hardy, Gonzalez, Hanrahan, Davis, Harang Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Fasano, Matsui, Orioles Twins Claim Sam Fuld, Designate Darin Mastroianni Yankees Designate Matt Daley For Assignment Tigers Release Alex Gonzalez Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors