Here's a look back at the original reporting and analysis produced by MLBTR's writing staff this week..
- We're always looking ahead here at MLBTR and this week Tim rolled out his early analysis of the 2013-14 free agent class.
- Some questioned the Nats' decision to take a closer so early in the draft, but Drew Storen hasn't disappointed on the promise he flashed as an amateur, writes Dan Mennella. Dan gave his thoughts on what it might take for Washington to extend Storen.
- For all of the hype generated by Craig Kimbrel and Jonny Venters last year, many overlooked the impressive numbers posted by Braves left-hander Eric O'Flaherty. Mark Polishuk took notice, however, and believes that a three-year, $12MM deal would be appropriate for the 27-year-old.
- This week's installment of Baseball Blogs Weigh In from Mike Axisa covers Andrew McCutchen's extension and Yu Darvish's spring debut.
- Speaking of McCutchen's deal, the Pirates are now set focus their attention on a new deal for second baseman Neil Walker. Tim examined what that contract might look like.
- The Red Sox have Jacoby Ellsbury under team control through 2013, but they might want to start thinking about a contract extension for him, Mark writes.
- This week's Sloan Sports Analytics Conference featured some of the brightest minds in baseball and many of the panelists gave their thoughts on the next frontier in the game.
- The Padres didn't get a discount on Cameron Maybin's arbitration years, Tim writes.
- The Yankees are looking to get under the $189MM threshold by 2014, but Mike's poll shows that roughly 72% of MLBTR readers aren't buying it.
- Tim conducted the weekly chat on Wednesday. If you missed out on it, you can check out the transcript right here.
- The Nationals' glut of starting pitching makes John Lannan a great trade candidate.
- Tim outlined some big money players who stand a chance of being cut at some point in 2012. Among those on the list are Vernon Wells, Barry Zito, and Jason Bay.
- What was the biggest surprise of the offseason? According to MLBTR readers, it was the Halos signing both Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson. A majority (26.4%) of MLBTR readers also picked the Angels as the American League team poised to make the biggest turnaround.
- Five players can lock in 2013 contract options with their play in 2012.
- Looking for a list of all of MLBTR's weekly features? Check out this post. It even includes MLBTR Originals, which is kind of meta, or something.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors