This week's original analysis and reporting from the MLBTR team..
- Tim Dierkes and Ben Nicholson-Smith were the first to report that Joey Votto and the Reds were nearing agreement on a long-term extension. The first baseman inked a ten-year, $225MM deal with Cincinnati.
- Ben spoke with John Smoltz about National League pitchers coming back from injury this year.
- Tim was the first to learn that free agent designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero changed agencies from SFX to Proformance. MLBTR's Agency Database offers a complete, updated look at Proformance's client list.
- We wrapped up the Offseason In Review series with examinations of the Rangers, Twins, White Sox, and the Dodgers.
- The 30 Opening Day starters aren't the 30 best pitchers in the game, but their managers do consider them the best arms currently available. Ben put together a list of the pitchers who got the nod on Opening Day and how they got there.
- Five MLBTR writers gave their predictions for 2012. We'll check back in November and see who comes out on top.
- On this week nine years ago, the Red Sox picked up Pedro Martinez's option well before they had to.
- Mike Axisa's Baseball Blogs Weigh In features pieces on Joey Votto, Matt Cain, and Alex Gordon.
- Nearly 30% of MLBTR readers agree that the Angels are baseball's most improved team.
- Mike updated the list of the largest contracts in draft history. Stephen Strasburg, of course, has the most lucrative major league contract.
- Ben updated the list of record contracts by position.
- MLBTR is increasing efforts to enforce our commenting policy. You can get reacquainted with the rules here.
- Ben ran our weekly chat this week - if you missed out on it, you can take a look back at the transcript.
- Phil Hughes is still only 25 years old but this is a Make Or Break Year for the Yankees' right-hander, Mike writes.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors