It's time for a look back at the week that was, including a pair of monster contract extensions..
- Joey Votto and the Reds agreed to a ten-year, $225MM contract extension in a deal that includes full no-trade protection. With this new deal, he is now under contract for the next 12 years at a total price of $251.5MM. In 2011, Votto followed up his MVP season with a .309/.416/.531 line, 29 homers, and 40 doubles.
- The Giants agreed to a five-year extension with Matt Cain which guarantees him $112.5MM in new money through 2017. The deal, which establishes a record for right-handed pitchers, includes a club/vesting player option for 2018.
- The Indians signed shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to a two-year extension for 2013-14. The deal is worth $16.5MM and will delay Cabrera's free agency by one year. The 26-year-old enjoyed a breakout season in 2011, batting .273/.332/.460 with a career-high 25 home runs.
- The Mets signed left-hander Jonathon Niese to a five-year extension with two club options. The deal is worth $25.5MM and the two options could push the total value to $46MM. Niese will earn $1.02MM this year, $3MM next year, $5MM in 2014, $7MM in 2015, and $9MM in 2016.
- Casey Close of Excel Sports Management will represent Zack Greinke as the right-hander embarks on the final season of his contract with the Brewers.
- Red Sox president Larry Lucchino says he's willing to add payroll to improve the pitching staff even if it takes them over the luxury tax threshold.
- The Reds offered Brandon Phillips a five-year, $60MM contract extension for the 2012-16 seasons. One Reds source believes Phillips would sign if the Reds offer a sixth guaranteed season.
- Ian Kinsler and the Rangers are close but haven't hammered out a new deal just yet.
- Carlos Lee agreed to waive his 10-and-5 rights in exchange for full no-trade protection during the first four years of his contract though he can still block trades to 14 unknown teams this year.
- Details of the Dodgers sale came to light and the new ownership group has agreed to assume $412MM of the club's debt.
- The Cubs inquired about Nats pitcher John Lannan this week. The left-hander requested a trade and made it known to the public on Wednesday.
- Agent Scott Boras says that client Johnny Damon will sign somewhere by May 1st.
- The Braves announced that they signed right-hander Chad Durbin to a Major League contract after he opted out of his deal with Washington.
- Free agent Vladimir Guerrero changed agencies from SFX to Proformance, Tim reported.
- The cutoff for super two players after the 2012 season will be two years and 134 days of service time, according to preliminary internal studies by CAA.
- The Yankees signed right-hander Ramon Ortiz and traded for catcher Chris Stewart on Wednesday. They also DFA'd Justin Maxwell and saw Bill Hall elect free agency.
- The Reds claimed Alfredo Simon off of waivers from the Orioles.
- The Cardinals acquired Cedric Hunter from the Athletics for future considerations.
- With Chase Utley on the shelf for the foreseeable future, the Phillies have shown interest in Mike Fontenot.
- The Braves acquired Juan Francisco from the Reds.
- The Indians designated Thomas Neal for assignment and released Felix Pie.
- The Rangers signed right-hander Aaron Heilman to a minor league contract.
- The Orioles released right-hander Armando Galarraga.
- The Rangers re-signed Brad Hawpe to a minor league contract.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors