Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out there reading this (including my own)! Let's take a look back at the week that was here on MLBTR...
- The Brewers officially announced extensions for both GM Doug Melvin and manager Ron Roenicke. Melvin will be promoted to president of baseball operations, and his contract runs through 2015. Roenicke's new deal runs through 2014 and contains a club option for 2015.
- The Blue Jays signed Vladimir Guerrero to a minor league contract. Vlad will earn the pro-rated portion of $1.3MM if he plays with the big league club, but will report to extended Spring Training for now.
- Elsewhere in the AL East, the Orioles also signed a former AL MVP of their own, inking Miguel Tejada to a minor league deal. Like Guerrero, he reported to extended Spring Training.
- The Rangers are still working to extend Josh Hamilton, who had one of the best weeks you'll ever see out of a Major League hitter. Hamilton clubbed nine homers, including four in one game.
- The Diamondbacks are open to discussing a contract extension with Miguel Montero during the season, though GM Kevin Towers said the talks would be confidential.
- Starlin Castro, on the other hand, will not discuss an extension with the Cubs during the season. Ditto for Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers.
- The Red Sox acquired Scott Podsednik from the Phillies in exchange for cash and assigned him to Triple-A. The BoSox are currently starved for outfield depth thanks to a slew of injuries.
- The Pirates acquired Jeff Larish from the Red Sox, also for cash. Just as the Sox did with Podsednik, the Buccos assigned Larish to Triple-A.
- The Orioles acquired minor league left-hander Mike Belfiore to the Diamondbacks to complete the Josh Bell trade.
- The Yankees claimed lefty reliever Justin Thomas off waivers from the Red Sox.
- Peter Bourjos has seen his playing time disappear after a slow start and the arrival of Mike Trout, but the Angels aren't actively shopping the defensive wizard.
- The Blue Jays contacted the Phillies in regards to Cole Hamels and Shane Victorino. The Phils reportedly called around the league saying they'd entertain offers for the pair of stars.
- Astros GM Jeff Luhnow said the team will consider every possibility when it comes to trades of veteran players this summer. Presently, however, he's not in a rush to move players like Brett Myers, Carlos Lee, Wandy Rodriguez, and Brandon Lyon.
- Dontrelle Willis has dropped his grievance against the Orioles.
- Brad Penny was released by the Softbank Hawks after just one start. Penny is weighing options from Major League teams, some as a reliever and some as a starter.
- After appearing in parts of 13 Major League seasons, Casey Blake has decided to retire. Congratulations on a nice career, Casey.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Diamondbacks Outright Alex Sanabia Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Minor Moves: Perez, Loewen, Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors