A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR this past week, as yet another non-waiver trade deadline comes and goes:
- Only four teams failed to make a trade before the deadline (Mets, Nationals, Padres, and Orioles). So, Ben Nicholson-Smith asked MLBTR readers which of those four teams should have made a move. Over 41% of you thought the Orioles needed to make a deal.
- Tim Dierkes asked MLBTR readers who would be the biggest name changing teams on the final day of the trade deadline. Nearly 19% of you correctly predicted the Cubs would move Ryan Dempster. However, just under 17% of you erred in thinking Cliff Lee would be dealt by the Phillies.
- Ben then asked MLBTR readers if Lee would be claimed on waivers. More than 60% correctly predicted he would.
- Zach Links followed up by asking MLBTR readers if the Phillies should let Lee go on the waiver claim. Nearly 68% of you would let Lee wear the Dodger Blue. Ruben Amaro Jr., however, disagreed.
- Ben listed the other trade candidates who weren't traded.
- One of those players was Alfonso Soriano. Ben asked MLBTR readers whether the Cubs will move Soriano to another team this month. Almost 59% of you believe they will.
- Yes, trades can still be completed in August. Ben chronicled some of the more noteworthy deals from August of 2011.
- How is a trade made after July 31st? MLBTR has this primer on the rules for August swaps.
- Ben hosted the weekly live chat.
- Ben gave a mid-season update on the converted relievers now starting and on baseball's new managers.
- MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz provided his 2013 projected salaries for some arbitration eligible trade candidates.
- Ben examined the possibility of the Twins non-tendering Alexi Casilla this offseason.
- Mike Axisa gathered the best the baseball corner of the web had to offer in Baseball Blogs Weigh In. This week's edition featured posts on three of the biggest names traded before the deadline: Zack Greinke, Hunter Pence, and Shane Victorino.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors