As Boston says goodbye to one former All-Star and Baltimore welcomes another, let's catch up on the week that was here on MLBTR...
- The White Sox acquired Kevin Youkilis and cash from the Red Sox in exchange for pitcher Zach Stewart and utility player Brent Lillibridge. Youkilis was hitting .225/.311/.359 in 41 games with Boston this season while appearing in 32 games at third base and 13 at first base.
- Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler officially signed a nine-year, $30MM contract with the Cubs.
- The Orioles acquired Jim Thome from the Phillies in exchange for two minor league prospects. Baltimore designated Zach Phillips for assignment to create room on the 40-man roster for Thome.
- Cuban outfielder Yasel Puig signed a seven-year, $42MM contract with the Dodgers.
- The White Sox designated left-hander Will Ohman for assignment. The 34-year-old has a 5.84 ERA with 4.4 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9 in 24.2 innings of work this year.
- Ryan Doumit's solid start to the season netted him a two-year, $7MM extension with the Twins.
- The Cubs designated Randy Wells for assignment and then outrighted the right-hander to Triple-A after he cleared waivers.
- The Yankees claimed right-hander Chris Schwinden off waivers from the Indians and designated Danny Farquhar for assignment in a corresponding move.
- First round pick Corey Seager reached an agreement with the Dodgers on a $2.35MM bonus.
- The Brewers claimed shortstop Hector Gomez off waivers from the Rockies and designated right-hander Brandon Kintzler for assignment in a corresponding move.
- Taiwanese shortstop Tzu-Wei Lin signed with the Red Sox and received a $2.05MM bonus.
- The Red Sox designated Darnell McDonald for assignment to clear space for Josh Beckett's activation.
- Travis Buck is headed to Triple-A as the Astros outrighted the outfielder to Oklahoma City after he posted a .216/.284/.311 batting line in 81 plate appearances for Houston.
- The Diamondbacks agreed to terms with right-hander David Hernandez on a two-year contract extension.
- The Reds signed supplemental first round pick Jeff Gelalich for $825K.
- Kosuke Fukudome's tenure with the White Sox came to an end as Chicago released the veteran outfielder.
- The Phillies designated right-hander Chad Qualls for assignment. The 33-year-old reliever posted a 4.60 ERA with 5.5 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 and a 54.5% ground ball rate in 31 1/3 innings.
- Supplemental first round pick Travis Jankowski signed with the Padres for $975K.
- The Pirates claimed infielder/outfielder Oscar Tejeda off waivers from the Red Sox. To make room for Tejeda, Pittsburgh designated left-hander Doug Slaten for assignment.
- The Indians claimed infielder Vinny Rottino off outright waivers from the Mets. Rottino owns a career .188/.282/.319 slash line in 44 big league games.
- Veteran Jamie Moyer signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays as the 49-year-old looks to continue his career with his third different team this season.
- The Royals designated Humberto Quintero for assignment. Quintero, 32, hit .232/.257/.341 in 144 plate appearances for Kansas City this season.
- The Pirates designated Daniel Moskos for assignment. Moskos had pitched to a 3.86 ERA in 14 Triple-A innings this season while battling elbow problems.
- First-round pick Brian Johnson signed with the Red Sox for $1.575MM.
- The Pirates claimed infielder Drew Sutton off of waivers from the Rays.
- Willie Harris is headed to Triple-A as the Reds outrighted the outfielder to Louisville after he posted a .114/.170/.205 batting line in 48 plate appearances for Cincinnati.
- The Nationals released Brad Lidge after the right-hander appeared in just 9.1 innings this year, allowing ten runs with ten strikeouts and 11 walks.
- The Cardinals signed first round selection James Ramsey for $1.6MM.
- Miguel Tejada sought and was given his release by the Orioles after hitting .260/.327/.290 in 147 plate appearances at Triple-A.
- The Royals outrighted Roman Colon to Triple-A after the 32-year-old appeared in three games for Kansas City and allowed six runs in eight relief innings.
- The Padres claimed right-hander Mark Hamburger off waivers from the Rangers and optioned him to Triple-A.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors