As we head to Kansas City for the All-Star break, let's catch up on the week that was here on MLBTR...
- The Marlins acquired first baseman Carlos Lee from the Astros for third baseman Matt Dominguez and left-hander Rob Rasmussen. The move provides the Marlins with an instant upgrade in their lineup and gives the Astros young talent as they continue to rebuild.
- The Mariners signed third overall pick Mike Zunino, who obtained a $4MM bonus. The former University of Florida catcher projects to be an above-average hitter for his position and has intangibles similar to those of Jason Varitek.
- Former Marlins sensation Dontrelle Willis announced his retirement after spending the majority of the season in the Orioles organization.
- The Royals claimed Adam Moore on waivers after the catcher was designated for assignment by the Mariners last week.
- The Indians granted right-hander Chris Ray his release from Triple-A Columbus. Ray, 30, posted a 2.75 ERA with 7.5 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9.
- After being released by the Indians late last month, Andy LaRoche signed with the Red Sox and joined the organization's Triple-A affiliate.
- The Pirates outrighted Doug Slaten and Chris Leroux to Triple-A after the duo cleared waivers.
- The White Sox claimed left-hander Daniel Moskos off of waivers from the Pirates and optioned him to Triple-A.
- Jamie Moyer's future as a Major League pitcher took a hit as the Blue Jays became the third team to part ways with the veteran this season.
- The Cubs agreed to sign second round pick Duane Underwood for $1.05MM.
- The Reds released right-hander Michael Wuertz after signing him to a minor league contract in May.
- Matt Young is headed back to Toledo after the Tigers outrighted the utility player to Triple-A.
- The Orioles outrighted left-hander Zach Philips to Triple-A after he cleared waivers.
- The Royals requested unconditional release waivers on catcher Humberto Quintero.
- Chris Schwinden's whirlwind season continues as the Mets claimed the right-hander off of waivers from the Yankees and optioned him to Triple-A Buffalo.
- The Braves released right-hander D.J. Carrasco as the veteran now faces having to find a third team to call home this season.
- The Blue Jays designated David Pauley for assignment as the right-hander struggled to get outs in five appearances with Toronto..
- First round selection Marcus Stroman signed a contract with the Blue Jays for $1.8MM.
- The Royals designated outfielder Mitch Maier for assignment as the former first round pick collected more strikeouts than hits and walks combined this season.
- The Yankees claimed outfielder Darnell McDonald off of waivers from the Red Sox to provide New York with depth off the bench.
- Xavier Paul opted out of his contract with the Nationals and elected free agency in hopes of catching on with a team willing to give him an opportunity at the big league level.
- The White Sox released left-hander Will Ohman after designating the veteran for assignment late last month.
- The Mets designated left-hander Justin Hampson for assignment. Hampson, 32, appeared in three games and faced eight batters for New York.
- Bobby Jenks reached a contract termination settlement with the Red Sox and was placed on unconditional release waivers by Boston.
- The Padres signed supplemental first-rounder Walker Weickel for $2MM.
- The Athletics designated left-hander Brian Fuentes for assignment. In 25 innings for the Athletics this year Fuentes posted a 6.84 ERA with 6.5 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9.
- In a flurry of international signings from across the league, the Mets signed shortstop Amed Rosario to a $1.75MM bonus.
- The Indians signed 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Hector Caro to a deal worth $1.1MM.
- The Yankees signed Venezuelan catcher Luis Torrens for $1.3MM.
- Venezuelan right-hander Jose Mujica signed with the Rays for $1MM.
- The Twins signed Dominican infielder Amaurys Minier for $1.4MM.
- The Giants signed Dominican center fielder Gustavo Cabrera for $1.3MM.
- Venezuelan left-hander Jose Castillo signed with the Rays for $1.55MM.
- The Blue Jays signed Venezuelan shortstop/centerfielder Franklin Barreto, who obtained a $1.45MM bonus.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Minor Moves: Rafael Perez, Adam Loewen, Matt Neil Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors