With the non-waiver trading deadline quickly approaching, let's catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR...
- MLB upheld the $4.5MM contract between the Rangers and Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras. However, MLB suspended Beras for one year after determining that the prospect lied about his age.
- The Blue Jays signed Edwin Encarnacion to a three-year, $27MM contract extension. Encarnacion, who was set to hit free agency this offseason, added a multi-homer game over the weekend and now has 25 homers on the season.
- With minutes remaining before the deadline to sign draft picks, the Orioles agreed to sign first round selection Kevin Gausman to a deal that includes a $4.3MM bonus.
- Meanwhile, the Pirates failed to reach a deal with first round pick Mark Appel, as the right-hander will return to Stanford for his senior season. Appel was the only first round selection who didn't sign.
- The Cubs agreed to sign first round selection Albert Almora for $3.9MM; the Marlins agreed to sign first round selection Andrew Heaney for $2.6MM; first round selection Lucas Giolito agreed to sign with the Nationals for $2.925MM; first round selection Richie Shaffer agreed to sign with the Rays for $1.7125MM; and first-round draft pick Ty Hensley signed with the Yankees for $1.2MM.
- The Cardinals signed Brian Fuentes to a minor league contract after the Athletics released the Beverly Hills Sports Council client earlier last week.
- The Yankees signed Kosuke Fukudome to a minor league contract and is expected to report to New York's Triple-A affiliate.
- Some AL teams added pitching depth, as the Blue Jays signed right-hander Chris Jakubauskas to a minor league deal and the Athletics signed right-hander Chris Ray and assigned him to Triple-A.
- The Mariners signed David Pauley to a minor league deal. This is the right-hander's second stint with the M's, after being dealt from Seattle to Detroit as part of the Doug Fister trade last July.
- Jay Gibbons announced his retirement from baseball after playing nine season in the big leagues with the Orioles and Dodgers.
- Left-hander J.C. Romero opted out of his deal with the Orioles and elected free agency.
- The Dodgers acquired minor league infielder Osvaldo Martinez from the White Sox for cash considerations.
- The Orioles designated Dana Eveland for assignment and outrighted Ronny Paulino to Triple-A.
- The Red Sox designated Justin Germano for assignment in order to clear roster space for the return of Jacoby Ellsbury from the disabled list.
By Daniel Seco with Ben Nicholson-Smith.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors