With the non-waiver trading deadline quickly approaching, let's catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR...
- MLB upheld the $4.5MM contract between the Rangers and Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras. However, MLB suspended Beras for one year after determining that the prospect lied about his age.
- The Blue Jays signed Edwin Encarnacion to a three-year, $27MM contract extension. Encarnacion, who was set to hit free agency this offseason, added a multi-homer game over the weekend and now has 25 homers on the season.
- With minutes remaining before the deadline to sign draft picks, the Orioles agreed to sign first round selection Kevin Gausman to a deal that includes a $4.3MM bonus.
- Meanwhile, the Pirates failed to reach a deal with first round pick Mark Appel, as the right-hander will return to Stanford for his senior season. Appel was the only first round selection who didn't sign.
- The Cubs agreed to sign first round selection Albert Almora for $3.9MM; the Marlins agreed to sign first round selection Andrew Heaney for $2.6MM; first round selection Lucas Giolito agreed to sign with the Nationals for $2.925MM; first round selection Richie Shaffer agreed to sign with the Rays for $1.7125MM; and first-round draft pick Ty Hensley signed with the Yankees for $1.2MM.
- The Cardinals signed Brian Fuentes to a minor league contract after the Athletics released the Beverly Hills Sports Council client earlier last week.
- The Yankees signed Kosuke Fukudome to a minor league contract and is expected to report to New York's Triple-A affiliate.
- Some AL teams added pitching depth, as the Blue Jays signed right-hander Chris Jakubauskas to a minor league deal and the Athletics signed right-hander Chris Ray and assigned him to Triple-A.
- The Mariners signed David Pauley to a minor league deal. This is the right-hander's second stint with the M's, after being dealt from Seattle to Detroit as part of the Doug Fister trade last July.
- Jay Gibbons announced his retirement from baseball after playing nine season in the big leagues with the Orioles and Dodgers.
- Left-hander J.C. Romero opted out of his deal with the Orioles and elected free agency.
- The Dodgers acquired minor league infielder Osvaldo Martinez from the White Sox for cash considerations.
- The Orioles designated Dana Eveland for assignment and outrighted Ronny Paulino to Triple-A.
- The Red Sox designated Justin Germano for assignment in order to clear roster space for the return of Jacoby Ellsbury from the disabled list.
By Daniel Seco with Ben Nicholson-Smith.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors