On this date in 2007, the Rays officially signed Troy Percival to a two-year contract worth $8MM. The veteran right-hander pitched to a 4.89 ERA with 34 saves in 57 innings for Tampa. As our Transaction Tracker shows, Percival was the only free agent pitcher signed to a multiyear contract under Andrew Friedman prior to Joel Peralta's recent two-year pact. Here's the latest from around the web…
- MLB Injury News says the Rays set the standard with Evan Longoria's extension.
- Capitol Avenue Club analyzed B.J. Upton's contract with the Braves.
- Puckett's Pond likes the Denard Span-Alex Meyer trade for the Twins.
- The True Fan's Sports Blog wrote about Michael Bourn in the wake of the Span and Upton moves.
- Know Hitter says Torii Hunter will have a big impact for the Tigers.
- Over the Monster says there are reasons for the Red Sox to trade and keep Jon Lester.
- I-70 Baseball wrote about the Wil Myers trade rumors.
- Seedlings to Stars thinks Myers is being undervalued.
- Kings of Kauffman and Rany on the Royals wrote about recent payroll comments made by Royals owner David Glass.
- Pro Ball NW makes a case for the Mariners to sign Nick Swisher.
- Cole on L.A. thinks Asdrubal Cabrera could be a fit for the Dodgers.
- Yanks Go Yard muses about the Yankees and Josh Hamilton.
- Call to the Pen isn't a fan of Jonathan Broxton's new contract.
- Halo Hangout wonders if the Angels should pursue R.A. Dickey.
- Shutdown Inning wrote about Scott Feldman's time with the Rangers.
- Talkin' Sox with Dan covered some recent Red Sox moves and rumors.
- Blogging Mets analyzed the 2013 Hall of Fame ballot.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.