Let's take a look back at everything that went down on MLBTradeRumors last week as we get set for the Winter Meetings..
- The Mets and David Wright reached agreement on the largest contract in franchise history. The ACES client got seven years and $122MM in new money, which makes the deal worth $138MM over eight years when factoring in his 2013 club option. With that included, Wright passes Johan Santana's $137.5MM deal from February 2008.
- The Braves signed B.J. Upton to a five-year, $75.25MM contract. The 28-year-old ranked fifth on MLBTR’s list of the offseason’s top 50 free agents. Upton hit 28 home runs and posted a .246/.298/.454 batting line for the Rays this past season and should add balance to the Braves' lefty-heavy lineup. The Phillies were the runners up in the bidding for Upton.
- For the second time in four years, the Rays signed Evan Longoria to a long-term contract extension that will keep the third baseman in Tampa Bay for the foreseeable future. Longoria was signed for an additional six seasons by guaranteeing three club options on his previous deal and adding $100MM in new money to the contract. Longoria will now earn $136MM from 2013-22 under his contract, which includes a club option for 2023.
- We kept track of all of the non-tenders in the National League and the American League. You can also look at all the players to avoid arbitration here.
- The Cubs reached agreement with Japanese closer Kyuji Fujikawa on a two-year deal with a vesting option for year three. Including the buyout on that third year, Fuijkawa will get a guaranteed $9.5MM with the opportunity to earn $2MM each year through incentives.
- Marvin Miller, the first executive director of the MLB Players Association, died at the age of 95.
- The Pirates signed free agent catcher Russell Martin to a two-year, $17MM contract. Martin will get a $2MM signing bonus, a $6.5MM salary in 2013, and an $8.5MM salary in 2014.
- The Yankees agreed with closer Mariano Rivera on a one-year, $10MM contract for 2013. The for Rivera, who celebrated his 43rd birthday this week, includes extra performance and awards incentives.
- More from the Yankees who also re-signed Andy Pettitte to a one-year, major league deal. The pact is worth $12MM with $2.5MM in awards bonuses. Pettitte made 12 regular season starts and had two quality starts in the postseason. In those regular season outings he posted a 2.87 ERA with 8.2 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, and a 56.3% ground ball rate in 75 1/3 regular season innings in 2012.
- The Nationals acquired center fielder Denard Span from the Twins for minor league right-hander Alex Meyer. Span, 28, will earn $4.75MM in 2013 and $6.5MM in 2014. The deal could affect the Nats in a number of ways and it may prompt them to trade Michael Morse.
- The Angels acquired Tommy Hanson from the Braves in exchange for Jordan Walden in a one-for-one trade. Hanson, 26, pitched to a 4.48 ERA with 8.3 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9 in 174 2/3 innings this year and missed time with shoulder tendinitis last season. Walden, 25, also missed time with a biceps strain and pitched to 3.46 ERA with 11.1 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9 in 39 innings.
- The Angels signed Ryan Madson to a one-year deal with $3.5MM in guaranteed money. The Boras client can also earn $2.5MM in roster bonuses and $1MM in incentives for games finished.
- The Reds and Jonathan Broxton have reached agreement on a three-year deal worth $21MM. If the Reds trade Broxton, the guarantee increases to $22MM, with the 2016 option becoming a mutual option with a $2MM buyout.
- Dodgers execs met with Zack Greinke in Los Angeles on Thursday but they'll have to contend with the likes of the Nationals, Angels, and Rangers to land him. If the Halos can't retain Greinke, they may instead look to spend that money on the bullpen.
- The Dodgers have interest in Kyle Lohse.
- The Cubs have interest in Michael Bourn but the Nationals may also jump back into the mix. Don't expect the Giants to be in on the outfielder.
- The Marlins won't move Giancarlo Stanton and will focus on acquiring power.
- The Brewers, Red Sox, and Angels are showing interest in Ryan Dempster.
- Mike Napoli met with the Red Sox over the weekend and appears to be at the top of their wish list.
- The Cubs agreed to sign right-hander Scott Feldman to a one-year contract. Feldman, a client of agent Matt Brown, obtains a base salary of $6MM with $1MM in incentives.
- The Indians, Rangers, Yankees, Giants, Rays, Red Sox, and Reds all have interest in free agent center fielder Shane Victorino.
- The Pirates announced that they acquired right-hander Vin Mazzaro and first baseman Clint Robinson from the Royals for minor league pitchers Luis Rico and Luis Santos. They also acquired Zach Stewart from the Red Sox.
- The Mariners officially released Chone Figgins.
- The Phillies are pursuing Angel Pagan after missing out on Upton.
- The Orioles acquired infielder Danny Valencia from the Red Sox for cash considerations. The Red Sox also shipped right-hander Sandy Rosario to the A's for a PTBNL or cash.
- Ichiro Suzuki isn't waiting on the Yankees.
- Reliever Sean Burnett says that he isn't seeking a four-year deal, despite rumblings to the contrary.
- The Royals have talked to the Mets about R.A. Dickey as they look to bolster their rotation. Meanwhile, KC is "calling everyone" to find a partner to take Luke Hochevar and Bruce Chen.
- The Phillies appeared to have a trade with the Astros for Wilton Lopez but it was called off.
- The Dodgers could potentially make a play for free agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
- The Rockies aren't likely to move Dexter Fowler.
- The Reds re-signed Todd Redmond.
- The Yankees DFA'd Jayson Nix.
- The Pirates want to retain Jason Grilli but they'll have competition for him.
- The Orioles acquired Yamaico Navarro from the Pirates in a trade for Jhondaniel Medina. To make room on the 40-man roster, Stuart Pomeranz was designated for assignment.
- The Diamondbacks released right-hander Brad Bergesen.
- The Astros claimed Phil Humber off waivers.
Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
The Best Spring Training Additions Of 2013 Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke Mets Links: Davis, Wheeler, Bargain Signings Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson Red Sox Sign Rafael Perez Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment White Sox Place Angel Sanchez On Waivers Jocketty Discusses Choo Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Cherington On Ellsbury, Masterson, Theo Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors