- Phil Mickelson will not be part of the Padres' ownership group, reports Tod Leonard of the San Diego Union-Tribune. The golf star said he isn't "able to make that kind of long-term commitment to the city and to the team."
- It doesn't seem logical for the Rangers to give Edwin Jackson (what would have to be) a four-year, $50MM contract, opines MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. We heard earlier tonight that the Rangers and Cubs were the final two contenders for Jackson's services.
- Major League Baseball has ruled that the $2MM the Angels will donate to Josh Hamilton's charitable foundation will count towards the team's luxury tax payments and be counted as "noncash compensation," reports The Associated Press. FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal noted the charitable portion of Hamilton's contract earlier today.
- It can be difficult for players to mentally adjust to the "baseball limbo" that is the offseason rumor mill, ESPN's Jerry Crasnick writes.
- Money has been no object for Tigers owner Mike Ilitch as he pursues a World Series title, but ESPN's Buster Olney wonders if the Tigers' next owner will be able to keep the club's payroll in the $150MM range given the limitations of Detroit's market. (An ESPN Insider subscription is required to read Olney's column.)
- Nick Swisher will not be visiting the Giants during his tour of potential destinations, tweets Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. With the Giants not having enough payroll space left to pursue Swisher, I think we can finally put this rumor to bed.
- The Twins and Carl Pavano don't appear to be a fit, MLB.com's Rhett Bollinger writes. The two sides met during the Winter Meetings and though Pavano has pitched well in Minnesota, he turns 37 in January and missed most of last season with an injured shoulder. I agree with Bollinger that the Twins would probably want a more reliable option than Pavano given that several other projected members of the Twins rotation are also coming back from injuries.
- Baseball people suggest Trevor Bauer has a better chance of becoming an impact player than Didi Gregorius, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic writes. The Diamondbacks sent Bauer to the Indians last week in the three-team deal that brought Gregorius to Arizona. As Piecoro explains in detail, however, there were some questions about Bauer's personality and his ability to be a team player.
MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith contributed to this post
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Arizona Diamondbacks | Carl Pavano | Cleveland Indians | Detroit Tigers | Didi Gregorius | Edwin Jackson | Josh Hamilton | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Minnesota Twins | Nick Swisher | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Texas Rangers | Trevor Bauer
Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Scott Feldman On Signing With Astros Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Astros Sign Scott Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon White Sox Outright Blake Tekotte, Mike McDade Marlins Nearing Deal With Garrett Jones Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Mariners Could Push For David Price; Still Pursuing Free Agents Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Marlins Exploring Morrison Trades; Interested In Garrett Jones Mike Napoli Talks Reach Critical Stage Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners Close To Deal With Robinson Cano
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors