We covered the National League earlier, now it’s time to go over the American League’s activity at the winter meetings..
- The Angels are prepared to move on from Zack Greinke and have cast a wide net in their search for another starter. Edwin Jackson and Anibal Sanchez were among some of the names connected to the Halos, who also saw Dan Haren sign elsewhere.
- The Angels agreed to terms with righty Joe Blanton on a two-year, $15MM deal.
- Lefty Sean Burnett signed a two-year, $8MM deal with an option for a third year.
- The Astros landed starter Alex White and minor leaguer Alex Gillingham in exchange for Wilton Lopez.
- Teams called the Astros on Bud Norris.
- Houston has been in touch with Lance Berkman.
- The A’s had discussions about Yunel Escobar before he was traded to Tampa Bay.
- They’re considering two free agent shortstops in Stephen Drew and Hiroyuki Nakajima.
- Toronto is speaking with the Mets about R.A. Dickey.
- The club could make Emilio Bonifacio available.
- The Blue Jays claimed catcher Eli Whiteside off waivers from the Yankees.
- The Indians discussed a multi-team trade that would send Justin Upton to the Rangers.
- Stephen Drew is a possibility if they deal Asdrubal Cabrera. They want four prospects in exchange for the shortstop.
- The Tribe met with Mark Reynolds and are in pursuit of Kevin Youkilis.
- The M’s are making a serious run at Josh Hamilton and are discussing a three-year deal with an average annual value of $20-$25MM.
- Jason Bay agreed to a one-year, $1MM deal. He can earn another $2MM in incentives.
- Seattle is very interested in Dee Gordon of the Dodgers.
- The Mariners were linked to a number of free agents including third baseman Kevin Youkilis and outfielder Raul Ibanez.
- An extension for Felix Hernandez is unlikely.
- The O’s found their leftfielder in Nate McLouth. They offered Nate Schierholtz before inking McLouth to a one-year pact.
- Baltimore signed Adam Russell to a minor league deal.
- The O’s would like to retain Mark Reynolds but there’s tons of competition for him.
- The Rangers are pursuing Zack Greinke and Josh Hamilton but they’re not going to sign both. It would appear that Greinke is their priority at the moment.
- The Rangers signed Joakim Soria to be their set-up man behind Joe Nathan. Soria gets a two-year, $8MM deal with a club option for 2015.
- The Phillies and Rangers are getting closer to a deal involving Michael Young and are waiting on Young to waive his no-trade clause.
- The Rangers worked hard on a multi-team deal that would have them landing Justin Upton, but it hasn’t gone down yet.
- Teams are contacting the Rangers about Derek Holland.
- Texas signed reliever Evan Meek, starter Randy Wells, first baseman Brandon Allen, and starter Jake Brigham to minor league deals.
- The Rays got themselves a shortstop when they traded infield prospect Derek Dietrich to the Marlins for Yunel Escobar.
- The Rays signed first baseman James Loney to a one-year deal.
- They avoided arb with Sean Rodriguez.
- The Rays still have a surplus of starting pitching and a trade is increasingly likely. The Nats are among the teams that like James Shields.
- They discussed Danny Espinosa and Mike Morse with Washington as well, but those talks didn’t amount to a trade.
- Tampa Bay has interest in the Braves’ Juan Francisco.
- Boston made the first big splash at the meetings when they inked Mike Napoli to a three-year, $39MM pact.
- Shane Victorino signed a three-year, $39MM deal with Boston. Victorino had a .255/.321/.383 line for the Dodgers and Phillies last year.
- The Red Sox agreed to a one-year deal with reliever Koji Uehara.
- The Royals want a frontline starter but are looking at Jair Jurrjens and other backup options if they miss out. KC made a two-year, $26MM offer to Ryan Dempster but he turned them down.
- Kansas City is open to moving Billy Butler or Wil Myers for the right deal.
- Minnesota got quite a haul for Ben Revere: starter Vance Worley and prospect Trevor May.
- The Twins called the O’s about Justin Morneau.
- Jared Burton got a two-year, $5.5MM extension with a club option for 2015.