We're through one full day of the Winter Meetings, and several significant free agents have already come off the board. Here's a recap of the top stories from amidst the flurry of action yesterday:
- The Giants kept Angel Pagan in the fold by re-signing their center fielder to a four-year deal worth $40MM.
- Mike Napoli won't be returning to the Rangers, nor will he primarily serve as a catcher anymore. The slugger reached an agreement on a three-year, $39MM contract with the Red Sox to serve as Boston's primary first baseman.
- The Rangers did, however, nab a significant free agent when they landed Joakim Soria on a two-year, $8MM contract. Soria figures to setup for Joe Nathan this year and could inherit the ninth inning in 2014.
- Jason Marquis will be returning to the Padres in 2013 after signing a one-year deal worth $3MM -- the same guarantee he received from the Twins last season.
- The Rangers retained midseason acquisition Geovany Soto by signing him to a one-year deal that guarantees the former NL Rookie of the Year $2.75MM with another $250K of incentives.
- James Loney signed a one-year deal with the Rays that guarantees him $2MM and contains another $1MM worth of incentives.
- The Yankees will be without Alex Rodriguez for the majority of the season's first half in 2013 as the former MVP will undergo left hip surgery this offseason and need 4-6 months of recovery time.
- The Red Sox, Phillies and Brewers were all linked to Josh Hamilton, but it's the Mariners who reportedly met with the market's top position player most recently.
- The Mariners are also discussing Justin Upton with the Diamondbacks. Talks with the Rangers appear to be stalled, as Arizona is still demanding Elvis Andrus be included in any deal. The D-backs are also discussing Jason Kubel trade scenarios.
- Eight teams met with the Mets about R.A. Dickey, but the price is reported to be sky-high.
- The Angels are in on Edwin Jackson and could also re-visit discussions with Dan Haren despite declining his option.
- Shane Victorino has multiple three-year offers on the table and even has a four-year offer to consider. As many as seven teams have been linked to the Flyin' Hawaiian.
- Ryan Dempster is seeking a three-year contract and is expected to draw interest from the Brewers, Diamondbacks, and Twins.
- The Nationals have shown interest in trading for James Shields and have discussed both Danny Espinosa and Mike Morse with the Rays.
- The Nationals also added a pair of lefty relievers when they inked Zach Duke to a Major League contract and added Bill Bray on a minor league deal.
- The Dodgers are shopping Dee Gordon, but they will only part with the promising young shortstop in exchange for a "significant" return.
- The Reds have an offer on the table for Ryan Ludwick and will meet with their former left fielder's agent today.
- The Mariners and Orioles are both very interested in Billy Butler, but the Royals aren't keen on dealing him unless it's for impact Major League pitching.
- The Marlins are shopping Yunel Escobar and several teams -- including the Rays, Athletics, Cubs, and Yankees -- are interested. Ricky Nolasco is also said to want out of Miami.
- Multiple teams have placed calls to the Astros about Bud Norris, who is arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason.
- The Indians are looking for a package of four prospects in return for Asdrubal Cabrera. A deal that would have sent Cabrera out of Cleveland in exchange for an MLB pitcher and two prospects fell apart when the Tribe asked for a third minor leaguer to be included.
- The Yankees are willing to listen to offers for Curtis Granderson.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors