As we gladly welcome pitchers and catchers reporting to camp in the coming days, let's take a look back at the week that was here at MLBTR...
- The Mariners and Felix Hernandez agreed to terms on a five-year, $135.5MM contract extension that will run from 2015-2019. The successful completion of the deal remains uncertain due to the condition of his throwing elbow. Hernandez will take a physical on Tuesday when he reports to Spring Training as workouts begin on Wednesday.
- The Astros sent shortstop Jed Lowrie to the Athletics in a five-player trade. The Astros acquired first baseman Chris Carter, starting pitcher Brad Peacock and catching prospect Max Stassi from the A's in the deal, which sent right-handed reliever Fernando Rodriguez to Oakland along with Lowrie.
- The Diamondbacks extended second baseman Aaron Hill through 2016 with a deal valued at $35MM.
- The Giants avoided arbitration with closer Sergio Romo by agreeing to a two-year deal worth $9MM.
- The Tigers avoided arbitration with right-hander Max Scherzer by agreeing on a one-year contract worth $6.725MM.
- The Brewers signed free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez to a one-year, Major League contract worth $1.5MM plus $1MM in incentives.
- The Rays signed second baseman Kelly Johnson to a one-year deal worth $2.45MM.
- The Indians signed slugger Jason Giambi to a minor league contract with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Rays signed free agent reliever Kyle Farnsworth to a one-year, Major League contract worth $1.25MM with a chance to double his salary through incentives.
- The Rays designated Reid Brignac and Elliot Johnson for assignment to clear roster space for Kyle Farnsworth and Kelly Johnson.
- Francisco Liriano's deal with the Pirates became official after the left-hander passed his physical with the organization.
- The Angels finalized their two-year, $8.975MM contract with Alberto Callaspo.
- The Mariners signed Jon Garland to a minor league contract with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Orioles avoided arbitration with Jason Hammel by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $6.75MM.
- The Orioles and closer Jim Johnson avoided arbitration with a one-year contract for $6.5MM.
- The Cardinals agreed to a one-year deal with David Freese worth $3.15MM, avoiding arbitration.
- The Mariners agreed to a one-year deal worth $6.5MM plus $1MM in incentives with free agent left-hander Joe Saunders.
- The Mets signed free agent right-hander Brandon Lyon to a one-year contract with a base salary between $750K to $900K.
- The Dodgers agreed to sign right-handed reliever Mark Lowe to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Mariners designated right-hander Shawn Kelley for assignment. The move creates roster space for Kelly Shoppach, whose one-year deal is now official.
- The Indians avoided arbitration with Mike Aviles, agreeing to a two-year contract worth $6MM.
- The Rays designated Dane De La Rosa for assignment to create room on the 40-man roster for Luke Scott after his one-year, $2.75MM deal was finalized.
- The Padres designated infielder Jeudy Valdez for assignment to allow the club to make room for Fautino De Los Santos, who was claimed off of waivers.
- The Mets signed outfielders Corey Patterson and Mike Wilson to minor league deals.
- Left-hander Jonathan Sanchez signed a minor league contract with the Pirates that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Marlins signed free agent right-hander Jon Rauch to a one-year deal worth $1MM plus up to $750K in incentives.
- The Nationals signed right-hander Jeremy Accardo to a minor league contract that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Yankees agreed to sign Juan Rivera to a minor league deal worth $1.2MM plus up to $800K in incentives.
- Ramon Ramirez signed a minor league contract with the Giants that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Nationals agreed to sign catcher Chris Snyder to a minor league deal with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- Former National League Cy Young winner Brandon Webb retired from baseball after injuries curtailed his career.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors