As we gladly welcome pitchers and catchers reporting to camp in the coming days, let's take a look back at the week that was here at MLBTR...
- The Mariners and Felix Hernandez agreed to terms on a five-year, $135.5MM contract extension that will run from 2015-2019. The successful completion of the deal remains uncertain due to the condition of his throwing elbow. Hernandez will take a physical on Tuesday when he reports to Spring Training as workouts begin on Wednesday.
- The Astros sent shortstop Jed Lowrie to the Athletics in a five-player trade. The Astros acquired first baseman Chris Carter, starting pitcher Brad Peacock and catching prospect Max Stassi from the A's in the deal, which sent right-handed reliever Fernando Rodriguez to Oakland along with Lowrie.
- The Diamondbacks extended second baseman Aaron Hill through 2016 with a deal valued at $35MM.
- The Giants avoided arbitration with closer Sergio Romo by agreeing to a two-year deal worth $9MM.
- The Tigers avoided arbitration with right-hander Max Scherzer by agreeing on a one-year contract worth $6.725MM.
- The Brewers signed free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez to a one-year, Major League contract worth $1.5MM plus $1MM in incentives.
- The Rays signed second baseman Kelly Johnson to a one-year deal worth $2.45MM.
- The Indians signed slugger Jason Giambi to a minor league contract with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Rays signed free agent reliever Kyle Farnsworth to a one-year, Major League contract worth $1.25MM with a chance to double his salary through incentives.
- The Rays designated Reid Brignac and Elliot Johnson for assignment to clear roster space for Kyle Farnsworth and Kelly Johnson.
- Francisco Liriano's deal with the Pirates became official after the left-hander passed his physical with the organization.
- The Angels finalized their two-year, $8.975MM contract with Alberto Callaspo.
- The Mariners signed Jon Garland to a minor league contract with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Orioles avoided arbitration with Jason Hammel by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $6.75MM.
- The Orioles and closer Jim Johnson avoided arbitration with a one-year contract for $6.5MM.
- The Cardinals agreed to a one-year deal with David Freese worth $3.15MM, avoiding arbitration.
- The Mariners agreed to a one-year deal worth $6.5MM plus $1MM in incentives with free agent left-hander Joe Saunders.
- The Mets signed free agent right-hander Brandon Lyon to a one-year contract with a base salary between $750K to $900K.
- The Dodgers agreed to sign right-handed reliever Mark Lowe to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Mariners designated right-hander Shawn Kelley for assignment. The move creates roster space for Kelly Shoppach, whose one-year deal is now official.
- The Indians avoided arbitration with Mike Aviles, agreeing to a two-year contract worth $6MM.
- The Rays designated Dane De La Rosa for assignment to create room on the 40-man roster for Luke Scott after his one-year, $2.75MM deal was finalized.
- The Padres designated infielder Jeudy Valdez for assignment to allow the club to make room for Fautino De Los Santos, who was claimed off of waivers.
- The Mets signed outfielders Corey Patterson and Mike Wilson to minor league deals.
- Left-hander Jonathan Sanchez signed a minor league contract with the Pirates that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Marlins signed free agent right-hander Jon Rauch to a one-year deal worth $1MM plus up to $750K in incentives.
- The Nationals signed right-hander Jeremy Accardo to a minor league contract that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Yankees agreed to sign Juan Rivera to a minor league deal worth $1.2MM plus up to $800K in incentives.
- Ramon Ramirez signed a minor league contract with the Giants that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Nationals agreed to sign catcher Chris Snyder to a minor league deal with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- Former National League Cy Young winner Brandon Webb retired from baseball after injuries curtailed his career.
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Trumbo Trade Allows Angels To Pursue Pitching Quick Hits: Cubs, Blue Jays, Butler, Cruz, Ackley Tigers Still Successfully Adapting Long After Peralta Suspension David Price Rumors: Tuesday Latest On Matt Kemp Central Notes: Anderson, Cardinals, Ellis, Pirates East Notes: Tanaka, Red Sox, Mets, Braves, Chavez Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight East Notes: Mets, Burnett, Phillies, Benoit Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians Nationals Interested In Justin Wilson, Jerry Blevins West Notes: Gutierrez, Young, Morse, Sizemore, Cruz Mark Trumbo Trade Reactions/Fallout Mark Mulder Making Comeback Bid Four Teams Interested In Jason Hammel
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors