A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR this past week:
- MLBTR continued its six-week series examining the arbitration process from the player's persepective with B.J. Rains' profile of Jeff Mathis' experience with the Angels.
- Steve Adams inaugurated a new MLBTR series called Transaction Retrospection with his look at last year's Andrew Bailey-Josh Reddick trade.
- The Why I Chose My Agency series continued with Tim Dierkes discussing Matt Sosnick and Sosnick Cobbe Sports with Jay Bruce, B.J. Rains speaking with David Wright about the Levinson brothers and ACES, and Dave Pond doing likewise with Jeremy Affeldt about Mike Moye and Moye Sports Associates, Inc.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith reviewed the offseason of the Rays, Orioles, Yankees.
- Tim asked 17 top front office executives what one piece of advice they would give a high school student hoping for a career in baseball operations.
- MLBTR was the first to learn Bobby Cassevah elected free agency after being outrighted by the Angels and was the first to report the right-hander signed a minor league deal with the Rockies and will report to Major League Spring Training.
- Tim updated the list of 2015 MLB free agents and provided his analysis of the class.
- Zach Links examined the players with 2014 vesting options and how they can be exercised.
- Ben asked MLBTR readers which of the seven teams with fewer than 70 wins in 2012 will improve the most in 2013. Nearly 39% of you believe the Indians will be this year's bounceback team. None received more votes than the Marlins, Astros, and Rockies combined.
- Five players signed nine-figure contracts this offseason and Mark Polishuk asked MLBTR readers which one will best live up to the investment. You were split between Evan Longoria (36%) and Felix Hernandez (34%).
- Zach asked MLBTR readers whether the Yankees will be able to lower their payroll to avoid the luxury tax in 2014. More than 63% of you believe they will exceed the $189MM threshold.
- Tim outlined the various options available to the Yankees in their quest to replace Curtis Granderson.
- Ben listed the teams with open 40-man roster spots.
- Zach revisted the notable transactions from March 2012.
- Ben hosted the MLBTR live chat this week.
- Zach put together the best of the baseball blogosphere in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors