Here's a look back at the week that was at MLBTR.
- The Tigers signed Jose Valverde to a Major League deal and made him their closer.
- MLB commissioner Bud Selig turned down a five-year contract extension because he plans to retire after the 2014 season.
- The Cubs plan to take Stanford's Mark Appel or Oklahoma's Jonathan Gray with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2013 draft.
- The Nationals exercised their 2014 option on GM Mike Rizzo.
- The Marlins claimed pitcher Duane Below, who had been designated for assignment by the Tigers.
- The Nationals claimed pitcher Xavier Cedeno, who had been designated for assignment by the Astros.
- The Phillies designated catcher Humberto Quintero for assignment.
- Days after acquiring outfielder Casper Wells from the Blue Jays for cash, the Athletics were the third team to designate outfielder Casper Wells for assignment this season.
- The Rockies designated infielder Chris Nelson for assignment.
- The Blue Jays designated Aaron Laffey for assignment after claiming him off waivers from the Mets.
- To make space for Laffey earlier in the week, the Blue Jays designated veteran pitcher Ramon Ortiz for assignment.
- The Indians outrighted pitcher Fernando Nieve to Triple-A Columbus after designating him for assignment.
- The Cubs outrighted infielder Alberto Gonzalez to Triple-A Iowa.
- The Marlins outrighted pitcher John Maine to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Pitcher Charlie Leesman rejected his assignment from the Rangers and became a free agent.
- Former Pirates pitcher Chris Leroux signed to pitch with the Yakult Swallows in Japan.
- The Mets signed pitcher D.J. Mitchell.
- The Dodgers signed pitcher Anthony Ortega to a minor-league deal.
- The Brewers released pitcher Jim Hoey.
- The Orioles released pitcher Scott Proctor.
- The Pirates traded pitcher Roman Colon to the Braves for cash considerations.
- The Rays received cash from the Athletics and Rangers for the trades of catchers Stephen Vogt and Robinson Chirinos, respectively.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors