A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR this past week:
- Tim Dierkes was the first to learn Mike Zagurski cleared waivers and elected free agency over being outrighted to Triple-A by the Pirates. Tim followed up with another Zagurski exclusive: the Yankees signing the left-hander to a minor league contract, which includes an August 15th opt-out date.
- MLBTR's Chris Cotillo learned right-hander Chris Bootcheck became a free agent by refusing the Yankees' outright assignment upon clearing waivers after being designated for assignment. Bootcheck, however, immediately re-signed with the Yankees agreeing to a minor league deal, which includes an August 15th opt-out date.
- Chris was first with the Phillies placing utilityman Michael Martinez on waivers and left-hander Dusty Hughes retiring to become a coach at a private school.
- Chris broke the news of the Reds agreeing to terms with their competitive balance pick Michael Lorenzen to a $1.5MM bonus, $29.5K above the slot recommendation for the 38th overall selection (per Baseball America), and the Angels signing their second-rounder Hunter Green to a $942K deal, which is the slot recommendation for the 59th overall choice.
- Tim was the first to report the Marlins signed their seventh-round draft pick Justin Bohn to a $525K contract, $332K above the slot recommendation for the 202nd overall selection (per Baseball America).
- MLBTR broke the story of the Padres inking their eighth-round draft choice Adrian De Horta to a $425K contract, $269K above the slot recommendation for the 238th overall pick (per Baseball America).
- With less than six weeks remaining before the Trade Deadline, trade candidates are starting to pop up. A pair of right-handed relievers were profiled in MLBTR's Trade Candidate series: Jesse Crain of the White Sox by Charlie Wilmoth and Jose Veras of the Astros by Steve Adams.
- Chris was the first to post right-hander Nelson Figueroa signed with a team in the Chinese Professional Baseball League.
- Steve hosted the MLBTR live chat this week.
- MLBTR contributor Marc Hulet updated the Prospect Rumor Roundup.
- Zach Links put together the best of the baseball blogosphere in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors