A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the past seven days:
- Tim Dierkes posted the final edition of MLBTR's 2014 Free Agent Power Rankings. Robinson Cano and Jacoby Ellsbury remain the top two while Masahiro Tanaka (who will need to be posted by his NPL team, the Rakuten Golden Eagles) and Mike Napoli break into the top ten.
- The offseason began for 22 of the 30 MLB teams this past week and so did two offseason staples on MLBTR: Offseason Outlook and Arbitration Eligibles.
- Jeff Todd detailed the offseason outlook for the Marlins, Zach Links examined the Astros and Rockies, and Tim summarized the Cubs.
- Tim also kicked off the Arbitration Eligibles series with a look at the Marlins, Mets, Cubs, Astros, Mariners, Blue Jays, Phillies, and Rockies.
- There were four new installments in MLBTR's Free Agent Profile series.
- Tim foresees a team giving Mike Napoli $42MM over three years, Carlos Ruiz a two-year, $14MM contract, and a four-year, $36MM deal to Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
- Steve Adams predicts right-handed reliever Jesse Crain will sign for one-year and $3.5MM with incentives based on innings pitched and, perhaps, games finished.
- Matt Sosnick, the agent for Josh Johnson, told MLBTR the right-hander underwent elbow surgery Tuesday to remove bone spurs and will begin a throwing program in five weeks and will be ready for Spring Training. Johnson enters free agency for the first time this winter.
- Ryan Galla of CAA Baseball told MLBTR a few roster moves made during September has increased his Super Two cutoff calculation by one day. Players will now need two years and 122 days (2.122) of service time to earn an extra year of salary arbitration.
- MLBTR was the first to learn Tim Hudson expects to be fully recovered from ankle surgery by mid-November and the right-hander will seek a Major League contract during free agency.
- Steve hosted this week's chat.
- Zach put together the best of the baseball blogosphere in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- Aaron Steen culminated the week with a Free Agent Faceoff between Masahiro Tanaka (#5 on MLBTR's 2014 Free Agent Power Rankings) and Matt Garza (#7). Nearly two-thirds of you favor the Japanese right-hander.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Minor Moves: Adam Loewen, Matt Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors