A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR, as we went 24 hours during the Winter Meetings this past week:
- Zach Links and Luke Adams anchored our around-the-clock coverage providing a daily recap (Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3) of the hard news and rumors with Tim Dierkes and Jeff Todd reporting live from Orlando. Steve Adams meanwhile covered the Rule 5 Draft.
- In a preview of the Winter Meetings, Jeff predicted the wheeling and dealing could lead to some interesting and opportunistic maneuvers.
- Jeff attended the joint press conference with the GMs involved the three-team Mark Trumbo trade and posted their reactions to the deal.
- Jeff asked MLBTR readers which team benefitted the most from the four trades engineered during the Winter Meetings. More than 32% of you who responded to the survey believe the Angels helped themselves the most with the aforementioned Trumbo deal.
- Tim was first with the details of Roberto Hernandez's contract with the Phillies: a one-year, $4.5MM guarantee with an additional $1.5MM in incentives based on innings pitched. Tim also heard the Cubs had been competitive on Hernandez.
- MLBTR was the first to report 12 teams have expressed interest in right-hander Jason Hammel and all are exploring one-year deals.
- Tim broke the news 10 teams are in pursuit of infielder Justin Turner and that Astros outfielder L.J. Hoes is now being represented by MVP Sports Group.
- Tim heard the Cubs offered Edward Mujica a one-year contract to be their closer before he signed with the Red Sox and 8-10 teams have inquired about right-hander Jerome Williams.
- Marlins GM Michael Hill told Tim the decision to non-tender reliever Ryan Webb was simply a reallocation of the club's financial resources and the team's top priority is acquiring a third baseman.
- Tigers President/CEO/GM Dave Dombrowski told reporters, including MLBTR's Steve Adams, the perception the franchise needs to slash payroll is not true and the signing of Joba Chamberlain is the last move he's looking to make.
- Jeff opines the impetus for the Tigers' roster reshaping can be traced to the suspension of Jhonny Peralta.
- The Mets will receive value in excess of the $20MM they will pay Bartolo Colon over the next two years and were able to negotiate such a reasonable price because of his age and history, according to Tim.
- Tim wonders if the Pirates still have payroll space for A.J. Burnett after signing Edinson Volquez.
- Jeff examined the market for Kendrys Morales (#28 on MLBTR's 2014 Top 50 Free Agents list).
- Jeff suggests the Nationals' trade for Doug Fister looks even better now than it did at first glance.
- Mike Napoli told Zach there were a lot teams interested in his services, but it ultimately came down to his wanting to return to Boston.
- Charlie Wilmoth listed the best remaining first base options available on the trade market and in free agency.
- Former first round draft choice Brian Anderson, whose switch to pitching was derailed by injuries, told MLBTR, "I'd love to get back on the field again."
- MLBTR was the first to learn infielder Adam Kennedy, who didn't play in 2013, is planning a comeback and will work out for teams during the second week of January.
- Zach gathered the best the baseball corner of the web had to offer in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors