A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the past seven days:
- Jeff Todd analyzed how the free agent spending this offseason compares to the previous six years. With the Winter Meetings beginning tomorrow, Jeff notes almost half of MLBTR's 2014 Top 50 Free Agents remain on the open market, which will further increase the overall free agent spending levels.
- MLBTR was the first to learn more than 15 teams have expressed interest in right-handed reliever Andrew Bailey, who was non-tendered Monday.
- Tim Dierkes was the first to report the two-year deal Scott Kazmir signed with the A's did not include any options.
- MLBTR was first with the details of the one-year contract right-hander Fernando Rodriguez signed with the A's to avoid arbitration: $600K plus award bonuses.
- Tim examined the free agent signings of Kazmir and Phil Hughes.
- Tim also weighed in on the moves the Tigers have made to reshape their bullpen.
- Jeff opined the Tigers sold short on Doug Fister by obtaining a collection of relatively non-scarce pieces from the Nationals.
- Scott Feldman spoke with Zach Links about his reasons for signing with the Astros and his optimism for the future of the franchise which has posted baseball's worst record three years running.
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers told Zach the financial flexibility obtained in the three-way trade with the Rays and Reds will be used to add starting rotation and bench depth and to acquire a corner outfield bat.
- With the flurry of free agent signings this week, Jeff updated the status of the players who are tied to draft pick compensation after declining a qualifying offer.
- Tim imagined Luke Gregerson would have fetched more for the Padres than Seth Smith.
- MLBTR has released its 2014 Arbitration Tracker displaying all arbitration eligible players, with fields for team, service time, player and team submissions, the midpoint, and the settlement amount. The 2014 Arbitration Tracker can also be filtered by team, signing status, service time, Super Two status, and whether a hearing occurred.
- MLBTR has a separate tender/non-tender tracker with the results from Monday's non-tender deadline.
- Steve Adams explained how the non-tender system works.
- Charlie Wilmoth profiled John Axford as a non-tender candidate who could obtain a two-year deal on the open market. Axford will now have that opportunity as the Cardinals did indeed non-tender the right-handed reliever.
- Steve hosted the MLBTR live chat this week.
- Zach put together the best of the baseball blogosphere in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors