A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the past seven days:
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman told Zach Links the Masahiro Tanaka signing demonstrates the Steinbrenners "intend to put a team on the field that can compete on a yearly basis" and the goal to remain under the $189MM luxury tax threshold "wouldn't come at the expense of putting together a championship team." Cashman also told Zach "much of the heavy lifting" has now been completed in regards to their offseason upgrades.
- Grady Sizemore told Zach he chose to sign with Boston because of his familiarity with some members of the coaching staff, their medical game plan for him, and "I thought the Red Sox gave me the best opportunity to succeed and that's why I went with these guys."
- Steve Adams posits the Brewers' status as a team not desperate for starting pitching allowed them to sit on the periphery of the free agent market and act quickly on Matt Garza following the resolution of the Masahiro Tanaka saga.
- Tim Dierkes was the first to report the financial details of Scott Kazmir's contract with the A's: $7MM in 2014, $11MM in 2015, a $4MM signing bonus, and a $500K bonus, if traded.
- Zach learned Ben Revere's one-year pact with the Phillies contains bonuses for being named an All-Star, Gold Glove, MVP, and World Series MVP.
- Zach also had the terms of Jose Mijares' minor league deal with the Red Sox: $1MM base, $1MM in incentives based on apperances, and a March opt-out.
- Steve broke the story of the Hanwha Eagles of the Korea Baseball Organization acquiring the rights to Twins left-hander Andrew Albers.
- Zach was the first to learn Jayson Nix's minor league deal with the Rays grants him a June 1 unconditional opt-out and allows him to seek a MLB job with another team, if he is not on Tampa Bay's 25-man roster.
- Zach was first with reliever Jon Rauch nearing a deal with a MLB club. The next day, the right-hander came to terms with the Royals on a minor league contract.
- Steve asked MLBTR readers what the outcome will be in the Braves' arbitration cases with Craig Kimbrel, Freddie Freeman, and Jason Heyward. You see Kimbrel (63%) and Freeman (57%) winning their arbitration hearings and Heyward losing his (46%).
- Zach spoke with right-hander Brett Tomko about trying a MLB comeback at age 40, his new perspective on the game, how long he envisions himself playing, and his post-career plans.
- Steve hosted this week's chat.
- Zach compiled the latest edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors