- Epstein says there was strong mutual interest between the Cubs and David Price, but that the Red Sox made a bigger offer, Rogers tweets. Rogers adds that he hears the Cubs were not especially interested in Jordan Zimmermann, who ultimately signed with the Tigers.
- The Cubs will, however, continue to look for pitching depth, as Miles tweets.
- Javier Baez will play at least some center field during winter ball, Miles tweets. Given the Cubs’ crowded infield, the ability to play center might provide Baez with a path to more playing time in the big leagues. (To this point, Baez has never played the outfield, either in the Majors or the minors.) Epstein says a platoon in center could be an option, as Rogers notes.
- Epstein says the Cubs’ discussions with Jeff Samardzija “tastes great and is less filling,” Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times tweets. Earlier today, ESPN’s Jayson Stark wrote that the Cubs might be becoming uncomfortable with Samardzija’s price.
- Along with starting pitching and and a center fielder / leadoff hitter type, Epstein didn’t discount the possibility of adding relievers, Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune tweets.