- Phillies Extend Grady Sizemore For 2015
- Braves Name John Hart President Of Baseball Operations
- Phillies Extend Jerome Williams For 2015
- Brian Roberts To Retire
- Rangers Hire Jeff Banister As Manager
- Dodgers Hire Andrew Friedman As President Of Baseball Operations
- Diamondbacks Hire Chip Hale As Manager
- Orioles Extend J.J. Hardy
- Jeff Bridich Named Rockies GM; O'Dowd, Geivett Step Down
- Josh Beckett To Retire
- Yasmany Tomas Declared Free Agent
- Astros Hire A.J. Hinch As Manager
- Twins Remove Ron Gardenhire From Manager Role
- Reds Extend GM Walt Jocketty
- Diamondbacks Fire Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell
- Diamondbacks Hire Dave Stewart As GM
- Mets To Extend Sandy Alderson, Retain Terry Collins
- Yankees Claim Eury Perez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Introducing The Trade Rumors App
- AL Notes: Provas, Beimel, Correa, Shields, Royals
- NL West Notes: Sandoval, Minniti, Geaney, Rockies
- Phillies Avoid Arbitration With Cesar Jimenez
- Phillies Extend Grady Sizemore For 2015
- Blue Jays Begin Contract Talks With Melky Cabrera
- Minor Moves: Mark Hamburger, Josh Stinson
- Braves Name John Hart President Of Baseball Ops
- NL East Links: Kaneko, Cuddyer, Ricciardi, Braves
- Blue Jays Receiving Calls On Adam Lind
- AL Central Notes: Aviles, Soria, Burton
- Phillies To Sign John Hester
- Twins Sell Kris Johnson To Hiroshima Carp
- Free Agent Profile: Rafael Soriano
- Angels Claim Jackson Williams From Rockies
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Aaron Poreda Rumors
John Perrotto’s Every Given Sunday column is up over at Baseball Prospectus. This week, he takes a look at some of the position battles teams will face entering Spring Training. And, as always, there’s some interesting items in his Rumors & Rumblings section. Let’s take a look:
- Some of the more interesting position battles mentioned: 1B/DH/RF in Oakland (Daric Barton, Jack Cust, Jason Giambi, Aaron Cunningham, and Travis Buck all in the mix), Tampa’s closer if Troy Percival gets hurt or falters (Dan Wheeler, J.P. Howell, Grant Balfour), and the White Sox rotation behind John Danks, Mark Buerhle, and Gavin Floyd (Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Bartolo Colon, Jeff Marquez).
- Brian Roberts still wants a four-year deal before Spring Training starts up, or he’ll cut off negotiations. Does Roberts make more sense as a cornerstone in Baltimore or as a trade chip?
- Perrotto feels Tom Glavine will inevitably re-sign with the Braves.
- The White Sox have minor interest in signing Ivan Rodriguez as a backup for A.J. Pierzynski. I’m sure Pudge would prefer a starting gig, but at this point, it’s tough to be picky.
- We’ve heard a lot about the Orioles having interest in Rich Hill lately, but Perrotto reminds us that the Mariners are interested in the 28-year-old lefty as well.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Cunningham | Aaron Poreda | Atlanta Braves | Baltimore Orioles | Bartolo Colon | Brian Roberts | Chicago White Sox | Dan Wheeler | Daric Barton | Ivan Rodriguez | Jack Cust | Jason Giambi | Jeff Marquez | Oakland Athletics | Rich Hill | Seattle Mariners | Tampa Bay Rays | Tom Glavine | Troy Percival
The Chicago White Sox have announced their Spring Training invitees.
The White Sox invited 18 players: Left-handed pitching prospect Aaron Poreda and infield prospect Gordon Beckham; catchers Tyler Flowers and Donny Lucey; right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal joins fellow White Sox minor leaguers Poreda and Beckham as non-roster invitees.
These 13 signed minor-league deals with the White Sox: Infielders Javier Castillo, Bryan Myrow, Sergio Santos and Eider Torres; catchers Corky Miller and Chris Stewart; outfielders Josh Kroeger and Michael Restovich; right-handed pitchers Ryan Braun, Franklyn German, Brad Salmon and Jon Van Benschoten ; left-handed pitcher Randy Williams.
In an e-mail to Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune, White Sox GM Kenny Williams denied that there’s anything to yesterday’s rumor that the White Sox are talking with the Rangers about a deal that would send Michael Young to Chicago in exchange for Jermaine Dye and Aaron Poreda.
Williams wrote that he "would not waste time" debunking the rumor, implying that there’s nothing to it.
He also denied interest in former Sox starter Jon Garland, who’s now a free agent.
ESPN Radio’s Bruce Levine has some good info tonight.
The White Sox are seeking a top-of-the-order hitter, and they’ve discussed Michael Young with the Rangers. The Rangers asked for Jermaine Dye and Aaron Poreda, and the Sox are unwilling to trade Poreda. The Rangers like Dye, so maybe the two teams will find a match on players. Young is owed roughly $60MM over the next five years.
If the Cubs are to restart their talks for Jake Peavy, the new ownership groups for both the Cubs and Padres will have to be willing. Levine also notes that the Cubs have an eye on Mariners pitcher Aaron Heilman, a player they’ve shown interest in before. Levine speculates that Ronny Cedeno could be a fit for Seattle.
Time to for today’s link collection.
- The Twins signed Bobby Kielty to a minor league deal. The former Twin was released by the Red Sox in July. When he’s going good, he can hit lefties pretty well.
- Peter Magowan is glad the Giants didn’t successfully pull off an attempted trade for Manny Ramirez before the ’07 season. However, as Henry Schulman notes, that might’ve prevented the Barry Zito contract.
- The Reds haven’t talked to the agents for any of their potential free agents, and no decision has been made on Adam Dunn.
- Susan Slusser wonders if the D’Backs will try to acquire second baseman Mark Ellis in the wake of Orlando Hudson‘s season-ending injury, though manager Bob Melvin does not expect an acquisition.
- It’s a moot point since they’re not interested, but Astros manager Cecil Cooper would quit if the team signed Barry Bonds.
- Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune notes that the Rockies asked for ’07 first-rounder Aaron Poreda for Brian Fuentes. Instead, Rogers believes he could get a big-league look.
- Ken Davidoff talks to agent Joe Bick about how Brian Giles went about choosing the teams on his no-trade list.
- The Rangers made their first Korean amateur signing, inking a high school righty named Tae-kyeong Ahn. They also signed Dominican outfielder Esdras Abreu, among others.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Poreda | Adam Dunn | Arizona Diamondbacks | Barry Bonds | Bobby Kielty | Boston Red Sox | Brian Fuentes | Brian Giles | Chicago White Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Colorado Rockies | Houston Astros | Manny Ramirez | Mark Ellis | Minnesota Twins | Oakland Athletics | Orlando Hudson | San Francisco Giants | Texas Rangers