Alex White Rumors
Here are some updates on the draft as we enter its final day...
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians will develop their first round pick, Alex White, as a reliever.
- Astros GM Ed Wade told Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle that the team's selection of shortstop Jiovanni Mier doesn't mean Miguel Tejada's about to be moved. Mier had said a scout told him the Astros would get rid of Tejada.
- MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo points out that more high school arms were selected than usual. Seven of the first 19 picks were prep pitchers.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports "indications" that the D'Backs will be able to sign their second and third highest picks, A.J. Pollock and Matt Davidson, soon.
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says the Brewers could sign first round pick Eric Arnett soon with a bonus of about $1.2MM.
- As Mike Fitzpatrick of the AP reports, Carlos Beltran has high hopes for his cousin, Reymond Fuentes, who was drafted by the Red Sox in the first round.
The Pirates have the fourth pick in the June draft. Who are they considering?
According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, GM Neal Huntington scouted pitcher Alex White, first baseman/outfielder Dustin Ackley, and catcher Tony Sanchez yesterday. White and Ackley are considerations for the Bucs at #4, though Ackley has a good chance of being picked by the Mariners at #2. Scott Boras will be advising Ackley and White.
In yesterday's mock draft, Baseball America projected righty Kyle Gibson as Pittsburgh's pick. ESPN's Jason Churchill linked the Pirates to Ackley as well as pitchers Shelby Miller, Jacob Turner, Aaron Crow, and Tanner Scheppers.