Andy Sisco Rumors
The latest from Ken Rosenthal...
- The Mariners and Giants are interested in Bobby Abreu, if the price is right. Yesterday Buster Olney suggested that Abreu is willing to take a one-year deal. The A's and Nationals have other targets, while the Mets, White Sox, and Braves are seen as long shots.
- Rosenthal examines the nuances of Jon Garland's December 7th decision to reject arbitration, saying that it wasn't an obvious mistake at the time.
- Tom Glavine's agent Gregg Clifton did not attend yesterday's meeting with Frank Wren; it was a health update and not a contract negotiation. Rosenthal says Glavine figures to seek a Freddy Garcia-like deal. The Braves need to save money to add an outfielder, with Nick Swisher atop their list. The Yankees' goal in moving Swisher or Xavier Nady would be to recoup prospects.
- The Brewers are not interested in projects such as Kris Benson, Jason Jennings, Mark Redman, and Victor Zambrano. They're just lukewarm on Mark Mulder. Benson is drawing interest from the Dodgers, Rangers, and Cardinals; one exec reviewed his audition as "so-so."
- Rosenthal doesn't seem to buy the idea that Jason Varitek and Scott Boras feared the Red Sox could cut him if he accepted arbitration, noting that Boras client Travis Lee was advised to accept years ago.
- The Braves have reservations about re-signing Andruw Jones, who could be a Spring Training cut.
- The A's deal for Russ Springer will be worth more than $3MM plus incentives. They're also eyeing Brian Shouse and Andrew Sisco as possible pen additions. Sisco, recovering from Tommy John, has also auditioned for the Rockies and Giants.
This winter, Kenny Williams may shop three hard-throwing, recently acquired White Sox pitchers. Nick Masset, David Aardsma, and Andy Sisco have disappointed the Sox in their first seasons in the organization, and none earned September call-ups. Aardsma and Masset are out of options, so the Sox will probably lose them if they fail to earn spots with the big club next spring. Once a player is out of options he must clear waivers before he can be sent to the minors.
Masset will turn 26 next season. He came over from Texas in the Brandon McCarthy trade. The right has good command and can touch 96 on the gun. Masset struggled as a reliever with the Sox, and has been working as a starter in Triple A since July. He hasn't impressed in that role either.
Aardsma was acquired from the Cubs in November for Neal Cotts, a trade that worked out for neither team. Aardsma turns 26 in December; he's posted massive strikeout rates at both Triple A and the Majors this year. He was lights out for the Sox in April, whiffing 23 in 15.2 innings before it all fell apart. He's been closing for Charlotte. I'm surprised the Sox soured on him so easily, especially after since they've fallen out of contention.
Sisco, a southpaw, will turn 25 in January. He's among the tallest men ever to take a big league mound at 6-9. Like Masset, he failed in the Major League pen and was switched to starting this summer. His control has been a problem so far. "Wild Thing" came up in the Cubs' system, gaining notoriety when he broke his left hand punching a clubhouse wall in anger in '03. The Royals pilfered him in the Rule 5 draft in December of '04. He made the jump from A ball to the bigs in '05 and did a respectable job despite too many walks. But he bombed in '06 and the Royals saw fit to ship him to Chicago for Ross Gload.
Masset, Aardsma, and Sisco form an interesting albeit disappointing trio. I imagine many teams will be willing to take a shot on them.
Seems like a big win for the Sox. Sisco, a big lefty, turns 24 in January. Since jumping from A ball to the Majors in '05 as a Rule 5 pick from the Cubs, Sisco has been in over his head. The White Sox could fix him up as a lights out reliever like they did with Matt Thornton, or else switch him back to starting.
How does Gload help the Royals? He'll turn 31 next season and the club has absolutely no room for another 1B/OF. Shouldn't Dayton Moore be stockpiling young arms instead of guys like Gload?