Baseball Prospectus Rumors
Before you fire up the grill, check out these links.
- Dayn Perry has an enjoyable series at Baseball Prospectus called Mock Blockbuster. He proposes trades that would benefit both teams. His latest: Greg Maddux and Brian Giles for Jordan Schafer.
- Rays Index wonders whether Eric Hinske or Gabe Gross could be expendable once Willy Aybar returns.
- Joe Capozzi remembers Mike Piazza's five game stint as a Marlin.
- Pokey Reese sighting!
- Ned Colletti told struggling free-agent-to-be Derek Lowe the Dodgers aren't slamming the door on him coming back.
- The Red Sox signed an Australian teen named Boss Moanaroa.
- Athletics Nation chats with Billy Beane.
- Jerry Reinsdorf hasn't ruled out re-signing Joe Crede after the season.
- R.I.P. Geremi Gonzalez. I remember him as a bright spot on the '97 Cubs. I mailed him a baseball card for an autograph, and it came back signed.
Always interesting when Baseball Prospectus uses their PECOTA system to project the standings. Click here to take a look, and consider subscribing if you haven't.
PECOTA sees the Yankees winning the AL East and the Angels taking the AL West. They have the Indians and Tigers playing a tiebreaker for the AL Central and the Red Sox as the league's wild card entry.
As for the NL, the Mets take the East. The Cubs win the Central, while the D'Backs and Dodgers tie for the West. The wild card would be the Brewers. BP's Nate Silver discusses the standings a bit more here.
Will Carroll and I recently chatted it up on Baseball Prospectus radio. As you might imagine, we talked hot stove and things of that nature. You can get the mp3 here.
Click here to download previous editions of BP Radio.