- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Michael Saunders To Miss 5-6 Weeks After Knee Surgery
- Blue Jays, Athletics Talking With Dayan Viciedo
- Doug Melvin On Papelbon Trade Talks, K-Rod Signing
- Brewers To Re-Sign Francisco Rodriguez
- Juan Pierre Officially Retires
- Aramis Ramirez Likely To Retire After 2015 Season
- Blue Jays Sign Johan Santana To Minors Deal
- Brady Aiken Enrolls At IMG Academy
- Francisco Rodriguez Agrees To Terms With Unidentified Team
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- East Notes: Hart, Hardy, Belisario
- Glenn Flesig On Tommy John Incidence
- Phillies Notes: Rollins, Herrera, Oliver, Aumont
- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Scherzer On Signing With The Nationals
- AL Notes: Rodon, Hamilton, Zito
- Quick Hits: Japanese Signees, Phillies, McCutchen
- Minor Moves: Jesus Pirela
- Central Notes: Sale, Cubs, Floyd
- AL East Notes: Moncada, Beckham, Duquette
- Team Payroll Restrictions Could Be Issue In Next Round Of CBA Talks
- Week In Review: 2/21/15 – 2/28/15
- Looking At Landing Spots For Rafael Soriano
- Minor Moves: Hill, Gillies, Sale, Tigers, Dbacks, Dodgers
- NL Notes: Upton, Brewers, Dodgers
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Blake DeWitt Rumors
Today was hectic, but imagine how much wilder it would have been if these two deals had gone through:
- Via Twitter, Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Padres almost dealt Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers for James Loney, Russell Martin, Blake DeWitt, James McDonald and Ivan Dejesus. Wow.
- Danny Knobler of CBS Sports confirms that the division rivals considered a blockbuster deal involving those players.
- Knobler also says the Rangers and Angels both pursued Heath Bell aggressively this afternoon. The Angels and Padres were discussing Jose Arredondo, Sean O'Sullivan and Sean Rodriguez.
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin says his team was involved in a "big one that didn't happen," according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- The Crew also had interest in Jarrod Washburn and Brian Bannister.
- Melvin says everyone asked the Brewers for Mat Gamel and Alcides Escobar. Since the Brewers didn't want to deal either prospect and don't have the young pitching to offer rival teams, they had limited options.
3:09: Ed Price confirms that the Dodgers acquired Sherrill. Rosenthal and Morosi do, too. Bell is a well-regarded 22 year-old power prospect, though Baseball America is unsure whether he can stick at third base. BA projects Johnson as "a big league reliever or back-end starter."
2:44pm: MLB.com's Ken Gurnick reports that the Dodgers acquired George Sherrill for Josh Bell and righty Steve Johnson.
2:40pm: Yahoo's Gordon Edes says the Orioles are "on the verge of trading Sherrill to the Dodgers for Scott Elbert and Josh Bell." Sherrill, 32, is under team control through 2011. He has a 2.40 ERA with 20 saves in 41.3 innings this year. Fantasy leaguers, time to pick up Jim Johnson.
2:03pm: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse (via Twitter) has a source saying Sherrill's a Dodger, but he is working to confirm the info. ESPN's Jayson Stark's source says there's no agreement, however. The Dodgers are making a push for him this afternoon, but there are at least eight interested clubs.
Stark adds that the Dodgers want two relievers, with Toronto's Jason Frasor on the radar.
THURSDAY, 11:43am: Morosi and Rosenthal say the Dodgers are pursuing both Sherrill and Roy Halladay. They may only be able to acquire one, since some of the same prospects are being discussed in each case. The writers say the O's prefer Josh Bell to Blake DeWitt for Sherrill. Baseball America loves Bell's raw power but wonders if he'll be able to stick at third base.
WEDNESDAY, 7:10pm: Morosi and Rosenthal say that you can count the White Sox in as a team interested in Sherrill, though it's unclear if the teams have made contact. It's speculated that Josh Fields might go to the Orioles in a deal, as they're looking for help at third base pending the departure of Melvin Mora.
2:44pm: As many as eight teams are pursuing George Sherrill, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Two or three of the teams are actively engaging the O's in trade talks.
The Angels are interested, as are the Dodgers, whose prospects appeal to Baltimore. Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the Dodgers are focused on trading for Sherrill now that Cliff Lee's off the market.