Casey Fossum Rumors
James P. McCoy of the Buffalo News is reporting the Mets have signed Casey Fossum to a minor-league deal. Fossum, 31, was 3-1 with a 5.66 ERA for the Tigers in 2008.
The Mets also gave a minor-league deal to outfielder Jason Cooper, Buffalo's modern-era leader in games played.
Some random tidbits for today...
- USA Today has an in-depth look at high school first baseman Eric Hosmer, who will likely be advised by Scott Boras. He's a likely top-ten pick this June unless his asking price causes him to drop. Baseball America looks at another first-round first baseman, Yonder Alonso. Here's a reminder of which teams pick when.
- The Tigers inked oft-injured pitcher Casey Fossum, who is not likely to help them at the big league level this year.
- Rays Index wonders whether the Rays might seek compensation from the Twins for Matt Garza's injury.
We have a bunch of rumor-related tidbits today, and for now I'll put them into one post.
- There's a mini-controversy afoot regarding Cubs lefty Will Ohman. Ohman has indicated that the Cubs have been letting him pitch while hurt, and the Cubs contend that he never visited the trainer. No matter who you side with, Ohman's days in the organization are numbered.
- The Cubs indeed won the Scott Podsednik claim, but the White Sox want a legitimate prospect in return. I've heard Sean Gallagher mentioned. There's not much time for posturing here as the teams probably have until today or tomorrow to make a trade. The White Sox were considered nontendering Pods last offseason, and he didn't do anything this year that should've changed their mind. Ozzie Guillen even called him "unreliable" publicly. Kenny Williams should take what he can get and give the playing time to someone else.
- Casey Fossum's been released by the Devil Rays; he'll hook on somewhere. The little lefty used to throw in the mid-90s with Boston. Not so much anymore, but he does boast one of the slowest curveballs you'll find (slower than 50 mph). Back in '03, the Red Sox offered him to Toronto for Kelvim Escobar, unwilling to give up Trot Nixon. He eventually went to Arizona in the Curt Schilling deal and later was traded to the Devil Rays for Jose Cruz Jr. Fossum's battled shoulder woes for most of his career, having labrum surgery in '06. He's still only 29.
- The Rockies signed Elmer Dessens to a minor-league deal. They might have to throw the 34 year-old into the rotation for lack of better options.
- Carlos Silva wants to stay in Minnesota, and would sign at a discount before hitting the open market if the Twins are interested. Unfortunately, a discount for a Silva-type these days might be three years, $18MM. Jason Marquis's contract was something of a benchmark. If Silva backs it up to two years, $10MM, I can see the Twins going for it.
- Victor Zambrano now finds himself toiling for the Pirates' Triple A affiliate.