- Red Sox To Sign Rusney Castillo
- Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham
- Garrett Richards Out 6-9 Months
- Indians Extend Scott Atchison
- Rob Manfred Elected As Next Commissioner
- Pirates Acquire John Axford
- Latest On Rusney Castillo
- Royals Acquire Josh Willingham
- Tyler Skaggs Requires Tommy John Surgery
- Dodgers Acquire Kevin Correia
- Cubs Acquire Jacob Turner
- Angels Acquire Vinnie Pestano
- Dodgers Acquire Roberto Hernandez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Mets Notes: Carlos, Quesada, Castillo, Wheeler, Niese
- Red Sox To Sign Rusney Castillo
- NFL $100K Play-Action Contest At DraftKings
- Red Sox Seen As Favorites To Sign Rusney Castillo
- Phillies President Says Amaro “Not On The Hot Seat”
- Padres Release Brooks Conrad, Hector Ambriz
- Cuddyer Pulled Off Waivers After Hamstring Issue
- Red Sox, Tigers Are Front-Runners For Castillo
- Minor Moves: Obispo, Brown, Rodriguez
- Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham
- Diamondbacks Outright Bradin Hagens
- Garrett Richards Out Six To Nine Months For Knee Surgery
- NL East Links: Phillies, Colon, Cabrera, Braves
- Marcell Ozuna Joins Boras Corporation
- Neal Cotts Staying With Rangers
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Clay Zavada Rumors
Today's minor moves…
- The Padres have purchased left-hander Clay Zavada from the independent league Gary SouthShore RailCats, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock (on Twitter). Zavada had a 1.65 ERA in 16 1/3 innings for the RailCats. The former Diamondback was known more for his mustache than his pitching in 2009, but he posted a 3.35 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9 in 51 innings for the D-Backs that year. Brock tweets that Zavada will report to Double-A.
- Luis Cruz has refused an outright assignment to Triple-A and elected free agency, according to Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times (Twitter links). Cruz, who was designated for assignment last week, cleared waivers and can sign with any team. He hit just .127/.175/.169 in 128 plate appearances for the Dodgers this season — a far cry from the solid .297/.322/.431 line he posted in 296 plate appearances last season.
- The Nationals announced that they have outrighted right-hander Cole Kimball off the 40-man roster (Twitter link). The 27-year-old has appeared in just four minor league innings for the Nats this season and hasn't pitched with the big league club since 2011.
- Aaron Laffey has opted out of his minor league deal with the Dodgers, according to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish (on Twitter). MLBTR's Tim Dierkes has confirmed the move. Laffey, 28, has a 5.61 ERA with 4.3 K/9 and 3.2 BB/9 in 61 innings for Triple-A Albuquerque this season. He also allowed 10 runs in 12 2/3 innings between the Mets and Blue Jays at the MLB level.
- Righty David Pauley was released by the Diamondbacks' Triple-A club on Saturday, according to the Pacific Coast League transactions page. Pauley had joined them on a minor league deal on June 10th, but the 30-year-old struggled in four relief appearances. Pauley was originally drafted by the Padres in '01, three picks before the Red Sox took Kevin Youkilis. Pauley was later a minor piece in Dave Dombrowski's July 2011 heist of the Mariners, in which the Tigers acquired Doug Fister.
- Six players are currently in DFA limbo: Francisley Bueno of the Royals, Eric Hinske of the Diamondbacks, Alex Liddi of the Mariners, Clayton Mortensen of the Red Sox, Travis Ishikawa of the Orioles and Jeff Francoeur of the Royals.
Today’s minor moves..
- The Cardinals have signed Clay Zavada to a minor league contract and released left-hander R.J. Swindle, according to the Pacific Coast League’s transactions page. Zavada, 27, was recently let go by the Reds.
- Cubs infielder Blake DeWitt cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Triple-A Iowa, tweets Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. The Cubs designated the 26-year-old for assignment ten days ago. Across parts of five big league seasons, DeWitt owns a .257/.324/.380 slash line.
- The Diamondbacks outrighted minor league outfielder David Winfree to remove him from the 40-man roster, tweets Steve Gilbert of MLB.com. Winfree, 26, has hit .285/.331/.476 in four Triple-A seasons.
We’ll track the latest minor moves right here…
- The Reds released left-handed reliever Clay Zavada earlier this week, according to the transactions page at CBSSports.com. The 27-year-old posted a 3.35 ERA with 52 strikeouts in 51 innings as a rookie with the 2009 Diamondbacks, but hasn't appeared in the Major Leagues since. He signed a minor league deal with the Reds over the winter after spending the 2011 season at Double-A and posting a 3.43 ERA with 6.9 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 60 1/3 innings of relief.
The Reds have signed left-handers Ron Mahay and Clay Zavada to minor league contracts, as announced via the team's official Twitter feed. Both deals contain invitations to the Reds' Major League Spring Training camp.
Mahay, 40, last pitched in the Majors for the Twins in 2010 and was signed and released by the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Cardinals in 2011. Despite these setbacks, Mahay said last week that he wanted to continue pitching. Mahay has a career 3.83 ERA and 7.4 K/9 in 568 innings and has pitched for eight other teams in his 14-year career. He is your classic left-handed specialist, holding left-handed batters to a .689 OPS over his lengthy career (including a .520 OPS in 2010).
Zavada posted a 3.35 ERA and struck out 52 batters in 51 innnings for the D'Backs in 2009, but hasn't pitched in the Majors since that solid rookie season. He underwent Tommy John surgery in 2010 and appeared in 44 games for Arizona's Double-A affiliate (posting a 3.43 ERA and a 2.19 K/BB rate). Pitching aside, Zavada is perhaps best known for his awesome, Rollie Fingers-esque mustache.