- Indians Extend Scott Atchison
- Rob Manfred Elected As Next Commissioner
- Pirates Acquire John Axford
- Latest On Rusney Castillo
- Royals Acquire Josh Willingham
- Tyler Skaggs Requires Tommy John Surgery
- Dodgers Acquire Kevin Correia
- Cubs Acquire Jacob Turner
- Angels Acquire Vinnie Pestano
- Dodgers Acquire Roberto Hernandez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Quick Hits: Colon, Angels, Cardinals, Stanton, Cashner
- AL West Notes: Richards, Altuve, Athletics
- AL East Notes: Miller, Beltran, Lester, Pompey
- AL Central Notes: Swisher, Rodon, Royals
- MLB Changes Rules For Scouting Int’l Players
- Padres Designate Bobby LaFromboise For Assignment
- Extension Candidate: Kole Calhoun
- Minor Moves: Joe Gardner
- White Sox To Release Charlie Leesman
- Rusney Castillo Could Land Five Years, $50-60MM
- Central Links: Dirks, Cubs, Morton, Meyer, Reds
- Grievance Against Astros Focused On Nix, Not Aiken
- Neal Cotts Claimed On Revocable Waivers
- Phillies President Says Amaro “Not On The Hot Seat”
- Quick Hits: Atchison, Rapada, D’Backs, McLouth
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Danny Richar Rumors
The Marlins signed infielder Danny Richar to a minor league deal, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Richar elected free agency after being outrighted by the Reds back in November. The 26-year-old hit .290/.330/.438 in 181 Triple A plate appearances this year. The second baseman had labrum surgery in July. He came to the Reds from the White Sox in July of '08 with Nick Masset in the Ken Griffey Jr. trade.
Danny Richar and Kevin Barker elected free agency after being outrighted by the Reds, according to C. Trent Rosecrans (via Twitter). The Reds also outrighted pitcher Justin Lehr, but signed him for 2010.
Richar, 26, hit .290/.330/.438 in 181 Triple A plate appearances this year. The second baseman had labrum surgery in July. He came to the Reds from the White Sox last July with Nick Masset in the Ken Griffey Jr. trade. Barker, a 34-year-old first baseman, hit .285/.376/.551 with 22 home runs in 417 Triple A plate appearances this year.
We saw the non-waiver trade deadline come and go this week, and plenty of action to go along with it. Let’s recap the big moves of the week:
- The Dodgers, Pirates, and Red Sox completed a three-team, blockbuster trade that sent Manny Ramirez to Los Angeles, Jason Bay to Boston, and Andy LaRoche, Bryan Morris, Craig Hansen, and Brandon Moss to Pittsburgh. The Pirates got a pretty nice haul, and while Bay won’t necessarily replace Manny’s production, he’s much more affordable, signed through ’09, and doesn’t disrupt the clubhouse. The Dodgers add the big bat they need for a push in the NL West, though are now overloaded with overpaid outfielders. All in all, I don’t think any team made a bad deal in this one.
- The Angels made a big move in adding Mark Teixeira to their lineup, sending Casey Kotchman and minor league pitcher Stephen Marek to Atlanta in exchange. The Angels didn’t need help at the time – they’re running away with the AL West – but this move will undoubtedly be significant in the postseason. Great boost to the Halos’ lineup.
- The White Sox and Reds completed a trade that sent Ken Griffey Jr. to Chicago in exchange for Nick Masset and Danny Richar. I don’t understand this trade from the Sox perspective. Griffey was only hitting .245 at the time of the trade, and his range in center field isn’t close to what it once was. Still, he’s a presence in both the lineup and the clubhouse. Will playing for a contender rejuvenate him?
- The Yankees acquired future hall-of-famer Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers in exchange for Kyle Farnsworth. With Jorge Posada out for the season, New York did a good job of solidifying their catcher’s spot, while the Tigers got some much-needed improvement in their bullpen.
- The Twins aren’t known for making big trades at the deadline, and they held true to that in 2008. However, they made a move that could be bigger than any trade they might have made, when they designated Livan Hernandez for assignment, and recalled Francisco Liriano from Triple-A Rochester. The Twins DFA’ed Craig Monroe as well. The Rockies are looking for a fifth starter, and could have interest in Hernandez.
- Relievers on the move: Arthur Rhodes was traded to the Marlins, giving them another effective lefty option in the bullpen. The Astros acquired LaTroy Hawkins, still buying despite being 9.5 games out of the wildcard race at the time.
- The Nationals released Paul Lo Duca and Felipe Lopez. Both were highly unsuccessful this season, though they could generate interest from other teams.
- Tim explained the rules behind waiver trades for those who are unfamiliar with how the process works after the July 31st non-waiver deadline. He also takes a look at some noteable names who stayed put at the deadline.
- Minor moves: The Yankees signed Victor Zambrano to a minor league contract, while the Red Sox did the same with former Cleveland closer Joe Borowski.
- The Diamondbacks are talking extension with their second ace, Dan Haren.
- USA Today wrote an article on MLBTR. Check it out!
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Andy LaRoche | Arizona Diamondbacks | Arthur Rhodes | Boston Red Sox | Brandon Moss | Chicago White Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Colorado Rockies | Craig Hansen | Craig Monroe | Dan Haren | Danny Richar | Felipe Lopez | Francisco Liriano | Houston Astros | Ivan Rodriguez | Jason Bay | Joe Borowski | Ken Griffey Jr. | Kyle Farnsworth | LaTroy Hawkins | Livan Hernandez | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | Manny Ramirez | Mark Teixeira | Miami Marlins | New York Yankees | Nick Masset | Paul Lo Duca | Pittsburgh Pirates | Victor Zambrano | Washington Nationals
3:05pm: The Griffey deal is official.
2:37pm: Jeff Blair talked to a source who thinks the White Sox might move one of their outfield-DH types for pitching help.
2:18pm: Hal McCoy comments on Griffey’s time in Cincinnati.
10:25am: Per Ken Rosenthal, Griffey approved the trade. It might involve $1MM+ in cash somehow.
10:16am: The deal awaits Griffey’s approval, but it’d be for Danny Richar and Nick Masset according to Danny Knobler. The Reds will hopefully be willing to kick in some cash for Junior to approve the deal if necessary.
8:02am: Rosenthal says the Sox would most likely use Griffey in the outfield, though it’s been a while since he’s played center regularly.
7:08am: From out of nowhere, the White Sox have acquired Ken Griffey Jr. Ken Rosenthal says the deal awaits Junior’s approval. The fit is unclear, as the Sox have Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye in the corners and Jim Thome at DH. Perhaps they’ll try Griffey at first base?