- Introducing The New MLB Trade Rumors Mobile Site
- Cubs To Promote Kris Bryant
- Rays Sign J.P. Arencibia To Minor League Deal
- Yankees Interested In Braves’ Jose Peraza
- Diamondbacks Promote Yasmany Tomas
- Angels May Seek Contract Action Against Josh Hamilton
- Braves Release Carlos Quentin
- Indians Sign Jhoulys Chacin, Designate Shaun Marcum
- Alex Rios Fractures Left Hand
- Indians Sign Ryan Webb
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Central Notes: Francona, Bailey, Bryant
- Minor Moves: Emmanuel Burriss
- Week In Review: 4/11/15 – 4/17/15
- Inside The Christian Yelich Extension
- Quick Hits: Bryant, Cubs, Hamilton
- NL East Notes: Braves, Peraza, Gee
- NL West Notes: Cruz, Giants, Tomas
- Minor Moves: White Sox, Indians
- Heyman’s Latest: Padres, Buehrle, Greene
- Craig Stammen Requires Elbow Surgery, May Miss Season
- Dodgers Claim Daniel Corcino, Designate Ryan Dennick
- 13 Role Changes That Have Impacted Earning Power
- Should Kris Bryant Have Been On The Cubs’ Opening Day Roster?
- AL East Notes: Reyes, Castro, Arencibia, Ramirez
- Introducing The New MLB Trade Rumors Mobile Site
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
David Weathers Rumors
Nobody's been traded so far in August, but deals are sure to go through. ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick considers some trade candidates:
- Doug Davis and Jon Garland
- Heath Bell – An unlikely trade candidate, since he's sure to be claimed, but he could be dealt even if he's claimed (to the NL team with the worst record among all claiming teams).
- Lyle Overbay – He makes $7MM next year, a deterrent for possible suitors.
- Justin Duchscherer - Some health concerns remain, as he hasn't pitched in the majors this year.
- Kevin Millar, Nomar Garciaparra and Jason Giambi – Veteran bats for the playoffs.
- Jamey Carroll – Mark Teahen's another utility type, but he's less likely to be dealt than Carroll.
- Carl Pavano – Just don't expect the Yankees to come calling.
- Arthur Rhodes and David Weathers
- Miguel Batista
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times looks into Mariners trade candidates:
- Russell Branyan won't clear waivers, but the Mariners could consider dealing six weeks of Branyan to the claiming team for a decent prospect.
- Like Duchscherer, Erik Bedard has to prove he's healthy before anyone will commit to him.
- Baker expects the Mariners to try to move Adrian Beltre. They won't want to offer him arbitration after the season and risk paying him $14MM or so next year, so now's their chance to get a return for Beltre. They would almost certainly have to pick up salary in the process.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adrian Beltre | Arthur Rhodes | Carl Pavano | David Weathers | Erik Bedard | Heath Bell | Jamey Carroll | Jason Giambi | Jon Garland | Justin Duchscherer | Kevin Millar | Lyle Overbay | Mark Teahen | Miguel Batista | Nomar Garciaparra | Russell Branyan | Seattle Mariners
FRIDAY, 11:30am: A deal between the Dodgers and Jays for Frasor is unlikely, according to Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
THURSDAY, 5:13pm: Even after adding George Sherrill, the Dodgers are looking to add relievers, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. They're interested in adding a right-handed setup man. Teams in conversation with the Dodgers say they have interest in Mark Lowe, David Weathers, Matt Capps, Arthur Rhodes and Jason Frasor.
Meanwhile, the Angels are prioritizing relievers over starters, Stark reports. One scout says the Angels are after "premium" relievers. They were considering Heath Bell today and inquired about Chad Qualls only to find that the D'Backs aren't likely to move him.
4:13pm: ESPN's Peter Gammons says the Reds "backed off a potential deal" for Rolen. The Reds are actually hoping to move some contracts, and will listen on Bronson Arroyo, David Weathers, Aaron Harang, and Arthur Rhodes. Plus there's the issue of the Jays not wanting to trade Rolen if they keep Halladay.
2:00pm: CBSSports' Danny Knobler says the Jays would get Edwin Encarnacion and others, if this does get done. The sticking point appears to be how much of Rolen's remaining $15MM the Jays would assume.
Meanwhile, Bastian (via Twitter) has a source saying all is quiet here.
1:39pm: A Ken Rosenthal/Jon Paul Morosi source says the Reds-Rolen talks are "going nowhere." The writers suggest a Halladay trade could help move things along.
12:34pm: No mention of Alonso from him, but Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun tweets, "Looks like Rolen to Reds has a 'good chance' of getting done."
12:20pm: Joe McDonald of the Providence Journal says the Reds and Jays are talking about a Rolen-Yonder Alonso swap. Say what? Alonso, who signed on August 15th of last year, would have to be a player to be named later in the unlikely event he's dealt.
9:07am: The Blue Jays have many trade targets aside from Roy Halladay, so let's collect that information in one post.
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says the Twins are still chasing shortstop Marco Scutaro, after Freddy Sanchez landed with the Giants. Elliott adds that the Reds "met last night to decide to come up with a package to land third baseman Scott Rolen."
John Fay at the Cincinnati Enquirer chatted with Reds GM Walt Jocketty, who says that "nothing's changed" in the club's philosophy before the deadline:
"We’re still 5 1/2 games out. We’re still looking for ways to improve the club."
Jocketty also says, however, that he isn't looking for any "short-term" boosts to the team, which would rule out all impending free agents. He says the Reds have fielded some calls, but don't expect anything substantive until the deadline gets closer. Teams have reportedly expressed interest in veteran relievers like David Weathers and Arthur Rhodes, but one would have to imagine Jocketty wouldn't part with them unless he felt the Reds had fallen out of contention.
Hal McCoy at the Dayton Daily News also talked to Jocketty, who reiterates the position above. McCoy isn't convinced the Reds can climb back, however, and lists Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Edwin Encarnacion, Ramon Hernandez and Francisco Cordero as potentially attractive trade pieces should the team become sellers.
Fay notes that the Reds have dropped four of the first six games in their 10-game road trip, so it looks like the next week will determine the team's position at the deadline.
The Dodgers can help themselves in more ways than one if they play well against the Reds this week. As MLB.com's Ken Gurnick points out, the Dodgers can push the Reds further from contention and give themselves a better shot at obtaining one of the Cincinnati relievers they've been watching. The Dodgers are trying to improve their 'pen, so they've been eyeing Francisco Cordero, David Weathers and Arthur Rhodes along with O's closer George Sherrill.
6:34pm: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer spoke with the Reds and says it was the Rockies that called the Reds to see if they were interested in Atkins, adding that they are not. Fay cites the $3.4MM Atkins is owed and his position as reasons the Reds are not interested. Fay does say the Reds would be willing to add salary for the "right guy." He also says the Reds could trade a relief pitcher, but that it would probably not be Nick Masset.
4:45pm: The Reds have spoken to the Rockies about Garrett Atkins, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post. The Rockies are looking for relievers, but it will be hard to match up salaries, as Atkins makes $3.4MM before the end of the season, much more than most relievers. The Rockies would likely have to cover some of Atkins' salary in a deal for a cheap reliever like Nick Masset, but could trade him for a pricier arm like David Weathers, if he's available.
The Red Sox have waning interest in the third baseman, but the Mariners and Cardinals could have interest.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Reds avoided arbitration with reliever David Weathers. He gets $3.5MM in ’09 with a 2010 club option ($400K buyout).
Weathers had asked for $4.6MM while the Reds countered at $3MM.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer talked to Reds GM Walt Jocketty, who is currently focused on hammering out one-year deals for arbitration-eligible players David Weathers and Edwin Encarnacion.
Fay inquired about free agents such as Bobby Abreu, Ben Sheets, and Oliver Perez. Jocketty indicated that all three are out of the Reds’ price range.
10:18pm: Mike Berardino says the D’Backs are one of the other two Rhodes finalists.
TUESDAY, 4:37pm: Rhodes’ agent says he should make a decision within 24-48 hours. It’s down to the Reds plus two unknown teams.
MONDAY, 10:52pm: MLB.com’s Mark Bowman says the Reds "may have some interest in Jeff Francoeur." However, the Braves don’t want to move him.
8:35pm: A few Reds rumors this evening…
- The Reds met with the agents for Jerry Hairston Jr. and David Weathers and will meet again tonight. Weathers is already a Red for ’09 after accepting arb, but his salary has yet to be determined.
- The Reds still have an offer to Arthur Rhodes on the table.
- Also on the lefty reliever front, the Reds have had talks with Dennys Reyes‘ agent.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reliever David Weathers accepted the Reds’ offer of arbitration. He’s Reds property for ’09 now, and he’ll get a raise beyond this year’s $2.75MM salary.