Trade Rumors Apps
- White Sox To Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Non-Tender Candidate: Mitch Moreland
- Quick Hits: Cabrera, Martin, Cubs, Diamondbacks
- Latest On Hyeon-jong Yang
- Red Sox Finalizing Deal With Hanley Ramirez
- Athletics Fielding Calls On Left-Handed Hitters
- Non-Tender Candidate: Kris Medlen
- MLBTR Originals
- Quick Hits: Upton, Montero, Rays, Hunter, Pirates
- Yasmany Tomas Rumors: Sunday
- Red Sox “Trying Hard” To Sign Ramirez, Sandoval
- A’s Acquire Ike Davis, Designate Andrew Brown
- Indians Notes: Swisher, Bourn, Masterson, Hamels
- Rangers Notes: Upton, Andrus, Gallo, Alfaro
- West Notes: Robertson, Astros, Sandoval, Kennedy
- Cafardo On Fowler, Astros, Hammel, Miley
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Eliezer Alfonzo Rumors
Here are today's minor league transactions, with the latest at the top of the page…
- The Dodgers have invited 17 non-roster players to Spring Training, including infielder Brian Barden and catchers Ramon Castro and Eliezer Alfonzo, the club announced. The trio were signed to minor league contracts within the last two months.
- The Phillies have signed infielder Matt Tolbert to a minor league contract, Baseball America's Matt Eddy reports (and also recaps the rest of the week's minor league transactions). Tolbert hit .230/.288/.319 in 680 PA with the Twins from 2008-11 and spent the bulk of his time playing second, third and shortstop. Tolbert played for the Cubs' Triple-A team in 2012.
- The Mariners have signed right-hander Moises Hernandez (Felix's older brother) to a new minor league contract, reports Chris Harris, broadcaster for the Mariners' Double-A affiliate (Twitter link). The elder Hernandez has a 4.83 ERA over eight minor league seasons in the Mariners', Braves' and Orioles' farm systems.
- The Indians have signed left-hander Rich Hill to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training, the club announced. After undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2011, Hill returned to action to post a 1.83 ERA, a 9.6 K/9 and a 5.0 BB/9 in 19 2/3 relief innings for the Red Sox last season but was non-tendered in November. The 32-year-old southpaw has a career 4.59 ERA over eight Major League seasons with the Red Sox, Orioles and Cubs.
- The Rockies released catcher Eliezer Alfonzo, tweets Matt Eddy of Baseball America. Alfonso was hit with a 100-game performance-enhancing drug suspension last fall and was outrighted to Triple-A in May. The 33-year-old hit .319/.347/.777 with 12 homers in 101 plate appearances at Triple-A Colorado Springs last year.
- The Dodgers signed free agent right-hander Wes Roemer, according to MLB.com’s transactions page. Roemer, the Diamondbacks' supplemental first round selection in 2007, had been pitching with the St. Paul Saints of the American Association this year. The 25-year-old pitched in the upper minors last year, posting a 4.39 ERA in 164 innings.
- The Tigers signed free agent right-hander David Kopp, according to MLB.com’s transactions page. The 26-year-old pitched in the upper minors of the Cardinals' system last year, posting a 6.08 ERA in 74 innings.
Zach Links contributed to this post.
The latest outright assignments…
- The Rockies have outrighted catcher Eliezer Alfonzo to Triple-A, according to MLB.com's transactions page. Alfonzo, a veteran of six MLB seasons, received a 100-game suspension last fall following his second positive test for a performance-enhancing substance. He owns a .290/.332/.475 batting line in a minor league career that spans 15 seasons. The Rockies designated the 33-year-old for assignment earlier this week.
The Rockies designated catcher Eliezer Alfonzo for assignment, according to the team's transactions page. The Rockies appear to have removed the 33-year-old from their 40-man roster to create space for left-hander Christian Friedrich, who will start tomorrow's game.
Alfonzo had an impressive .319/.347/.777 line with 12 homers in 101 plate appearances at Triple-A Colorado Springs last year. He owns a .290/.332/.475 batting line in a minor league career that spans 15 seasons and has experience in six MLB campaigns, most recently with the 2011 Rockies.
TUESDAY: The Mariners will designate Eliezer Alfonzo for assignment to create roster space for Josh Bard, according to Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune (via Twitter). Alfonzo, 31, did not hit well in 41 plate appearances this year, striking out ten times and collecting two extra base hits without drawing a walk. To his credit, he threw out two of the four runners who attempted to steal on him.
Bard was hitting well in limited major league playing time before a calf injury sent him to the disabled list at the end of May. The 32-year-old has a .718 OPS in his nine-year MLB career. Rob Johnson, who is hitting just .198, has been doing most of the catching for the Mariners, who hoped for more production from Adam Moore going into the season. However, the young backstop has been sidelined with heel and hamstring injuries.
The Mariners signed catcher Eliezer Alfonzo to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training, tweets Venezuelan journalist Efrain Zavarce. Alfonzo, 31 in February, hit .175/.197/.254 in 117 plate appearances for the Padres this year, catching 255 innings. He hit .309/.339/.569 in 219 Triple A PAs, however.
We missed this one – apparently the Padres signed recently non-tendered reliever Chris Britton, according to Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune. The big righty will compete for the seventh-inning role in 2009. What better place for a soft-tossing righty reliever to land than PETCO.
Krasovic adds that the Padres and pitcher Kevin Correia have mutual interest. Also, while the Padres may consider Brad Ausmus, they have an eye on San Francisco catcher Eliezer Alfonzo. Alfonzo missed 50 games in 2008 after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. UPDATE: The Padres signed Alfonzo to a minor league deal on Friday, actually.