Trade Rumors Apps
- White Sox To Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Latest On Hyeon-jong Yang
- Red Sox Finalizing Deal With Hanley Ramirez
- Athletics Fielding Calls On Left-Handed Hitters
- Non-Tender Candidate: Kris Medlen
- MLBTR Originals
- Quick Hits: Upton, Montero, Rays, Hunter, Pirates
- Yasmany Tomas Rumors: Sunday
- Red Sox “Trying Hard” To Sign Ramirez, Sandoval
- A’s Acquire Ike Davis, Designate Andrew Brown
- Indians Notes: Swisher, Bourn, Masterson, Hamels
- Rangers Notes: Upton, Andrus, Gallo, Alfaro
- West Notes: Robertson, Astros, Sandoval, Kennedy
- Cafardo On Fowler, Astros, Hammel, Miley
- Indians Designate Scott Barnes For Assignment
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: D’Backs, Upton, Angels
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Evan Reed Rumors
- The Giants have outrighted catcher Guillermo Quiroz and righty Brett Bochy. Quiroz, 32, saw just three MLB plate appearances this year and has only once made more than 100 trips to the plate in a single season despite seeing action in ten MLB campaigns. Bochy, son of manager Bruce, got his first taste of the bigs this year, allowing two earned runs in 3 1/3 innings.
- After designating them for assignment recently, the Pirates have outrighted relievers John Axford and Jeanmar Gomez. Axford, 31, will look for a chance to bounce back after posting three seasons and 189 innings of 4.24 ERA work from the pen. Gomez, meanwhile, tossed 62 frames of 3.19 ERA ball after a solid 2013, but his peripherals do not quite back up the results.
- Pittsburgh also outrighted utility infielder Chase d’Arnaud. The 27-year-old has fairly minimal MLB action, but owns a .251/.316/.370 line over 1,426 Triple-A plate appearances over parts of four seasons. He has spent his entire career in the Pirates organization.
- The Yankees have outrighted outfielder Antoan Richardson after he racked up five stolen bases over the course of just 13 games (and 17 plate appearances) in New York. Richardson, 31, has been a consistent high-OBP and speed threat in the upper minors, but has yet to receive a real opportunity at the big league level.
- Also outrighted was utilitman Jake Elmore of the Reds. Cincinnati claimed Elmore from the Athletics in early August. He ultimately saw just 12 plate appearances with the Reds, and is still looking for his first consistent MLB role at age 27.
- Previously outrighted players Adam Moore of the Padres, Scott Elbert of the Dodgers, Matt McBride of the Rockies, and Evan Reed and Don Kelly of the Tigers have all elected free agency.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adam Moore | Cincinnati Reds | Colorado Rockies | Detroit Tigers | Don Kelly | Evan Reed | Guillermo Quiroz | Jeanmar Gomez | John Axford | Los Angeles Dodgers | New York Yankees | Pittsburgh Pirates | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Scott Elbert | Transactions
The Tigers announced that they have extended one-year, $15.3MM qualifying offer to impending free agents Max Scherzer and Victor Martinez. Additionally, the team announced that utility man Don Kelly and right-hander Evan Reed have been outrighted off the 40-man roster. The Tigers also announced that they have selected the contract of outfielder Wynton Bernard, adding him to the 40-man roster.
That Scherzer and Martinez — two of the top 10 free agents in the Majors — received qualifying offers comes as little surprise. Each should be in high demand this offseason, and by extending the QO, the Tigers assure themselves of receiving a compensatory draft pick at the end of the first round for each player, should he sign elsewhere as a free agent.
The 34-year-old Kelly has been with the Tigers in a utility capacity since 2009 and has posted a .234/.297/.340 in 1157 plate appearances with Detroit in that time. Kelly has seen time at every position on the diamond, including catcher and pitcher, in his career, although his lone experience at shortstop came with the Pirates in 2007 — his only Major League stint that came in a uniform other than that of the Detroit Tigers.
Reed, 28, pitched to a 4.18 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 32 1/3 innings for the Tigers this season, and he posted similar numbers in 24 1/3 inning sample size a year prior. That Reed would clear waivers is a mild surprise, given his 96 mph average fastball velocity and fairly solid 3.78 FIP, 3.89 xFIP and 3.51 SIERA marks in addition to his 4.20 ERA. He can become a minor league free agent now by refusing his outright assignment.
JUNE 26: Reed has cleared outright waivers and been assigned to Triple-A, the club announced.
Reed, 28, had worked to a 4.91 ERA over 25 2/3 innings. But his underlying rate states look solid, as Reed has posted 8.1 K/9 against 3.2 BB/9 to go with a 55.7% groundball rate. And advanced metrics are somewhat more optimistic, crediting him with a 3.71 FIP and xFIP along with a 3.35 SIERA mark.
Taken in the 17th round of the 2011 draft out of USC, Smith has been outstanding thus far in his first action in the upper minors. He currently sports a 1.80 ERA through 35 innings (22 of which came at Triple-A), striking out 8.5 and walking 2.1 per nine.