- Brian Roberts To Retire
- Rangers Hire Jeff Banister As Manager
- Dodgers Hire Andrew Friedman As President Of Baseball Operations
- Diamondbacks Hire Chip Hale As Manager
- Orioles Extend J.J. Hardy
- Jeff Bridich Named Rockies GM; O'Dowd, Geivett Step Down
- Josh Beckett To Retire
- Yasmany Tomas Declared Free Agent
- Astros Hire A.J. Hinch As Manager
- Twins Remove Ron Gardenhire From Manager Role
- Reds Extend GM Walt Jocketty
- Diamondbacks Fire Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell
- Diamondbacks Hire Dave Stewart As GM
- Mets To Extend Sandy Alderson, Retain Terry Collins
- Yankees Claim Eury Perez
- Braves Fire Frank Wren
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Latest On Twins’ Managerial Search
- Introducing The Trade Rumors App
- AL East Notes: Yankees, Cespedes, Tazawa, Pearce
- Quick Hits: Braves Outfielders, Romo, Hudson
- Mozeliak On Jay, Taveras, Choate, Arb Eligibles
- Free Agent Profile: Andrew Miller
- AL Central Notes: Tomas, Tigers, 2014 Draft
- Yoenis Cespedes Switches Agents
- Cardinals Notes: Lynn, DeWitt, Matheny
- Offseason Outlook: New York Yankees
- Minor Moves: Guzman, Abreu, Phelps
- Quick Hits: Ramirez, Hitting Coaches, Hudson, Zito
- MLBTR Originals
- NL Notes: Posey, Cabrera, Phillies, Braves, Grandal
- Minor Moves: Pedro Ciriaco
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Geoff Geary Rumors
12:51pm: MLB.com’s Jim Molony says Brocail, Geary, and Jose Valverde aren’t going anywhere since the Astros are actually looking to add to their ‘pen.
11:21am: ESPN’s Peter Gammons says the Red Sox have been discussing Doug Brocail with the Astros.
9:57am: Boston’s top priority at the trade deadline seems to be relief help, if anything. They were linked to several relievers this morning.
Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal says the Sox "are interested again and expect expect to get back to the Royals on Ron Mahay." Mahay is generally believed to be unavailable.
Rob Bradford of the Boston Herald has the Red Sox eyeing Geoff Geary, Brian Fuentes, George Sherrill, and Will Ohman. Ohman seems the likeliest candidate, though they may have competition for him in the division-rival Rays.
11:40pm: Nick Cafardo suggests Doug Brocail might be the reliever the Red Sox are eyeing.
11:03pm: Footer says the Red Sox are more likely interested in Geoff Geary than Miguel Tejada. She doesn’t expect Geary to be traded, since as she previously noted the Astros are looking to acquire a reliever.
8:47pm: No one is quite sure why, but the Astros are still acting like buyers. The latest example comes from ESPN’s Buster Olney, who says Ed Wade is looking for a "high profile, experienced reliever." MLB.com’s Alyson Footer concurs, but her sources put the chance of a deal around 30%.
A major trade was struck tonight, as the Phillies acquired Brad Lidge and Eric Bruntlett for Michael Bourn, Geoff Geary, and Mike Costanzo.
The makings of this deal surfaced earlier today, as it was revealed the Astros had interest in Francisco Cordero. The ‘Stros had been talking about bringing in a center fielder, though no one expected Bourn.
Phillies fans have to be happy to hear that the acquisition will allow Brett Myers to move back into the starting rotation. We were hearing just yesterday that Myers would remain in the pen. Perhaps Pat Gillick surveyed the market for a top-rotation starter and didn’t like the prices. Besides bolstering the bullpen for 2008, Gillick should snag a draft pick or two if Lidge leaves for a multiyear deal via free agency (assuming he has a good 2008 season).
Bourn is obviously the key to the deal for Ed Wade and the Astros. He’s a burner and prototypical leadoff man as well as a plus on defense. The move seems to give Wade a new trading chip, right fielder Luke Scott.