Jamie Romak Rumors
Pour a tall cup of coffee and open up a Baseball Reference tab. It's time for this Saturday morning's minor moves, via the Pacific Coast League and International League transaction pages (except where otherwise noted) ...
- The White Sox have signed lefty David Purcey to a minor league deal. The 31-year-old had rejected an outright assignment from the Sox in late October to become a free agent. Purcey made 24 apperances for the Sox's major league club in 2013, posting a 2.13 ERA but walking 6 batters per nine innings.
- The Dodgers signed first baseman/outfielder Jamie Romak to a minor league deal, according to MLBTR's Tim Dierkes (on Twitter). Romak's deal includes a July 1st opt out. The 28-year-old posted a .242/.322/.461 slash line with 22 homers in 134 games for the Cardinals' Triple-A affiliate last season.
- Right-handed reliever Mark Lowe, 30, has signed with the Rays, reports ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (via Twitter). Lowe was battered in just eleven appearances with the Angels last year, but posted a 3.60 ERA across 2009-12 and has continued to notch high strikeout totals while being stashed in the upper minors.
- The Cardinals signed third baseman Scott Moore, a thirty-year-old who has thrived at Triple-A but has yet to have a real shot in the bigs. Last year, over 485 plate appearances in the Oakland and San Diego organizations, he hit .271/.353/.448 with fourteen long balls. In his most extended MLB action, a 2012 stint with the Astros, Moore hit a more-than-respectable .259/.330/.448 with nine home runs in 228 plate appearances.
- Right-hander Jim Miller is back with the Yankees on a minor league pact after making just one MLB appearance last year, an ill-fated inning-and-a-third that resulted in three earned runs. The 31-year-old had been a solid member of the A's pen just one year prior, however, as he registered a 2.59 ERA in 48 2/3 innings for Oakland. Miller did flash a 13.1 K/9 rate during his 63 1/3 Triple-A innings last year, a somewhat intriguing mark given his manageable walk rates. Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com had the news first on Twitter.
- Lefty reliever Will Startup will stay with the Tigers after he notched a 3.41 ERA in 58 Double-A innings last year. Startup reached Triple-A as a 21-year-old back in 2006, but before joining Detroit had landed with the Sugar Land Skeeters in 2012.
- The Giants have inked two righties to minor league deals, bringing aboard Jason Berken and Daryl Maday. Berken, 29, has thrown in 110 MLB games, including 28 as a starter, and recorded a 5.36 ERA over 248 2/3 innings. He spent last year at the White Sox' Triple-A affiliate, where he managed a 3.80 ERA in 161 innings -- all as a starter -- and posted 6.5 K/9 against 2.6 BB/9. Meanwhile, at 28 years of age Maday has yet to see San Francisco, but will continue to keep the dream alive in the Giants system. He has bounced between Double-A and Triple-A since 2008, and now serves primarily as a reliever. Last year, Maday notched a cumulative 4.17 ERA in 49 2/3 innings, with 7.1 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9.
- The Pirates signed first baseman Miles Durham and catcher Francisco Diaz to minor league deals. At age thirty, Durham has spent his entire career in the Pittsburgh organization, other than a brief Independent League stint, and apparently served as a player-coach last season. Dia, 23, has all the markings of a light-hitting backstop (two career home runs in 1,115 plate appearances), though he has reached base at a productive clip in the low minors.
- Longtime Yankees farmhand Walter Ibarra has agreed to play short in the Cubs organization on a minor league pact. The 26-year-old reached Triple-A for the first time last year. Known for his defense, Ibarra failed to himpress with a cumulative .276/.308/.367 slash across 212 Double-A and Triple-A plate appearances in 2013.
- And the Nationals have reached agreement with a player by the name of Josh Johnson -- not the starting pitcher, but the middle infielder and third baseman who has been in the Nats' system since 2010. Last year, playing at both of the two highest minor league levels, the 27-year-old Johnson put up an impressive .293/.390/.458 line in 300 trips to the plate. He was especially impressive in his short time at Syracuse, where he had a .924 OPS and was a perfect six-for-six in stolen bases in just 111 plate appearances. Washington also added catcher Sean McCauley to the fold on a minor league pact. The 24-year-old was brought back to professional baseball by the Nats last year in a coaching capacity after losing his career to injury.
- The Rangers have signed righty Zach Russell away from the Cards' system. The 24-year-old reliever topped out with a brief Double-A stint last year, but struggled there.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | David Purcey | Detroit Tigers | Jamie Romak | Jason Berken | Jim Miller | Los Angeles Dodgers | Mark Lowe | New York Yankees | Pittsburgh Pirates | San Francisco Giants | Scott Moore | St. Louis Cardinals | Tampa Bay Rays | Texas Rangers | Transactions | Washington Nationals
Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors