- Out Of Options 2014
- 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014
- Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- NL Notes: Hellweg, Cuddyer, Cubs, Espinosa
- Padres In Active Trade Talks Involving Nick Hundley
- Rangers Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment
- AL Notes: Amador, Lester, Gonzalez
- Astros Outright Lucas Harrell
- Padres Acquire Tyler Greene From Braves
- Tommy John Surgery Likely For Ivan Nova
- Orioles To Designate Steve Pearce For Assignment
- Blue Jays Claim Darin Mastroianni, Designate Kenny Wilson
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- NL Central Links: Maldonado, Volquez, Walker, Cubs
- Free Agent Notes: Hanrahan, Carbonell, Penny, Braddock
- Yankees Outright Cesar Cabral
- Ryan Roberts Accepts Outright Assignment
- Ryan Rowland-Smith Elects Free Agency
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Jaret Wright Rumors
8:40am: Dave O’Brien was right – the Braves chose Tyler Yates as the out of options reliever to deal. They sent him to the Pirates today for a minor league hurler named Todd Redmond. On Monday, O’Brien said he expected the Braves to trade one of Scott Thorman or Brayan Pena as well.
Yates, a 30 year-old Hawaiin, has a solid 8.3 per nine innings strikeout rate in his 162 inning career. He needs to work on his control though. Yates was drafted by the A’s and dealt to the Mets in the Dave Justice deal. Baseball America says he began ’04 as the Mets’ fifth starter but was shortly converted to relief. He missed the ’05 season with rotator cuff surgery. His acquisition may push Jaret Wright or Byung-Hyun Kim out of Pittsburgh.
Redmond, 23 in May, was ranked as the Pirates’ #27 prospect by Baseball America. They note his "outstanding control" but lack of dominant stuff. BA believes he profiles as a middle reliever in the long term.
The Pirates signed 32 year-old righty Jaret Wright today to a minor league deal. Seems crazy that Wright is 32 now, we all remember the baby-faced kid in the ’97 World Series.
Wright gets $800K if he makes the Major League roster and has incentives based on relieving or starting. Obviously Wright needs to get healthy again; he missed most of ’07 with shoulder woes.
Wright is the poster boy for good timing, signing a three-year, $21MM deal with the Yankees in December of ’04 after Leo Mazzone coaxed 15 wins out of him in ’03.
Wright, who turns 31 soon, could benefit from a reunion with pitching coach Leo Mazzone. Still, the over/under on his innings pitched is 150. Wright is hard-pressed to make 30 starts or go past five innings in any of those. I would call 2007 a success for him if he posts an ERA below 5. I have my doubts on that.
Besides Wright not being very good, another reason I dislike the deal for Baltimore is that they already have a staff of guys who don’t go deep into games. Erik Bedard, Adam Loewen, and Daniel Cabrera average less than six innings per start, while Kris Benson and Rodrigo Lopez a touch over six. The Orioles needed a Jason Jennings, a Freddy Garcia, a Jon Garland in my opinion. Guys who go seven innings more often than not.
Basically the Orioles managed to both increase their already heavy reliance on a lousy bullpen while subtracting one of their better relievers.
Britton, who turns 24 soon, is a big guy who throws strikes. He has a couple of decent pitches and can be a useful bullpen piece for New York. The deal is a clear win for the Yankees. Getting Wright out of the rotation is a plus, and adding a warm body to the bullpen is just gravy.
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles have talked to the Yankees about acquiring 31 year-old righthander Jaret Wright.
First the Yankees have to choose whether to buy Wright out for $4MM or pay him $7MM for the 2007 season. If they don’t buy him out and do trade him to the Orioles, Wright could be reunited with former Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone. Wright had his only full season success under Mazzone in 2004.
Otherwise perhaps the Orioles would just sign Wright to a free agent contract.