- Rangers Nearing Deal To Acquire Josh Hamilton
- Angels Nearing Trade Involving Josh Hamilton
- Joe Nathan Out For Year With Torn UCL & Tendon
- Mariners To Sign Carlos Quentin
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Jeff Beliveau To Undergo Surgery For Torn Labrum
- D-Backs Sign Kevin Frandsen To Minor League Deal
- Cubs Promote Addison Russell
- Mike Redmond Could Be On Hot Seat
- White Sox To Promote Carlos Rodon
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- West Notes: Baker, Dodgers, Johnson, Iwakuma
- East Notes: Red Sox, Rogers Centre, Franco, Harang
- Blue Jays Designate Steve Tolleson
- Rangers Nearing Deal To Acquire Josh Hamilton
- Dodgers Designate Xavier Cedeno, Purchase Contract Of Sergio Santos
- Rangers Designate Logan Verrett
- Angels Nearing Trade Involving Josh Hamilton
- Minor Moves: Michael Kohn, John Cornely
- Marlins Designate Grant Dayton For Assignment
- Heyman’s Latest: Bryant, Upton, Rays, Leake, Soriano, Polanco
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Bob Dutton
- Phillies Notes: Papelbon, Billingsley, Rotation
- AL Central Notes: Gardenhire, Tigers ‘Pen, Indians
- AL East Notes: Rays, Red Sox, Tanaka
- NL Notes: Dodgers’ TV Deal, Guerrero, Brewers
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Juan Rivera Rumors
2:44pm: The AP reports Rivera’s three-year deal is worth $12.75MM. It might turn out OK if Rivera is able to hit .300 to push his OBP to an acceptable range.
FRIDAY, 1:49pm: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick says Rivera has agreed to a three-year contract with the Angels. Three years seems excessive, but we don’t know the money yet. Does this take the Halos out of the mix for Manny Ramirez?
THURSDAY, 10:37pm: According to Yahoo’s Tim Brown, the Angels are nearing a three-year agreement with free agent outfielder Juan Rivera.
Brown says the Halos are pursuing other free agents as well and operating as if Mark Teixeira will sign with the Red Sox. GM Tony Reagins has talked to the agents for Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, and Adam Dunn, but not Milton Bradley. The Angels may also sign a closer, and Brian Fuentes makes sense.
The Reds’ search for a right-handed hitting bat continues. The latest from John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
- GM Walt Jocketty suggested that the positive news regarding Rocco Baldelli‘s condition could change the way the Reds see him.
- The Reds are waiting to hear back regarding a counterproposal made to Jerry Hairston Jr.
- The Reds discussed Milton Bradley internally, but haven’t contacted his agent. In a recent article, Ken Rosenthal named the Cubs, Rays, Reds, Angels, and Nationals as suitors for Bradley.
- Talks with Juan Rivera are ongoing.
11:46pm: Amusing story from Joe McDonald:
A group of Cincinnati Reds personnel, including manager Dusty Baker, were playing roulette Tuesday night. A member of the contingent yelled "Put it on No. 5 for Rocco Baldelli" and now it appears the Reds are having talks with his agent.
McDonald adds that the Red Sox have apparently stepped back with their interest in Baldelli. Buster Olney wrote on Monday that he’d be shocked if Boston didn’t sign Baldelli.
9:24pm: According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds talked to the agents for Rocco Baldelli and Juan Rivera (the agents initiated). Pat Burrell‘s agents also want to meet. Fay says the Reds have at least $10MM to spend.
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon adds that Moises Alou‘s agent contacted Walt Jocketty, but the Reds aren’t interested. Nor are they interested in Garrett Anderson. Sheldon adds that there’s been "no real activity towards reviving the Jermaine Dye deal."
10:13pm: According to Ed Price:
The Dodgers have had internal discussions about extending their contract offer to Manny Ramirez to three years.
9:47pm: Dan Graziano’s source suggests "there is a push by some members of the Yankees’ organization to make a play for free-agent outfielder Manny Ramirez."
5:02pm: Despite numerous reports to the contrary, Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times says the Angels are "believed to be considering a two-year offer to Manny Ramirez." Shaikin adds that Juan Rivera remains on the Halos’ radar.
4:12pm: Jayson Stark talked to a source who said the Angels have zero interest in Manny.
9:59am: Jon Heyman talked to people close to Hank Steinbrenner who say he wants Manny. Heyman says the Yanks are mulling a run at the slugger.
9:28am: T.J. Simers talked to Dodgers GM Ned Colletti, who said Scott Boras told him four other teams have expressed interest in Manny Ramirez. Colletti quipped: "That’s good. I wouldn’t like to see a guy out of work."
4:29pm: ESPN’s Jayson Stark says the Phillies will not tread water to see if they get DeRosa from the Cubs. A friend of Ibanez told Stark the Phils are his first choice, so there seems to be mutual interest. The problem: the Cubs want Ibanez too and may not be willing to move DeRosa until they get their outfielder.
3:46pm: Pat Burrell‘s agent Ed Hayes would be surprised if his client re-signs with the Phillies, as would most observers. Todd Zolecki believes the Phils’ top three candidates to replace him in left field are Raul Ibanez, Mark DeRosa, and Juan Rivera.
4:44pm: Mike DiGiovanna says the Rays are also believed to be interested in Juan Rivera.
3:14pm: Rosenthal adds that Bradley went to lunch today with Rays officials.
3:12pm: According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Rays are "thought to be considering" Milton Bradley, Pat Burrell, Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi, and Raul Ibanez. Heyman adds that Ken Griffey Jr. would be thrilled to play for the Rays.
I imagine the Rays will wait back until January in hopes of signing somebody to a one-year deal.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick lists nine possible free agent bargains in his column today. A few notes:
- Randy Johnson is looking for a one-year deal, and his agent says the list of interested clubs is approaching double figures. The Dodgers may make sense, though Johnson is on the backburner for them.
- Crasnick speculates that Philadelphia could be a nice fit for Felipe Lopez.
- Scott Boras seemingly wants a multiyear deal for Joe Crede, as he’s using the Magglio Ordonez contract as a model. Maybe his new team would have the ability to opt out after the season if Crede hits the DL for back problems again. Crasnick mentions the Rangers as an interesting fit for Crede.
- Crasnick talked to execs who see Juan Rivera signing a two-year deal in the $6-8MM range.
- Also weighing in on free agent bargains: Dave Cameron at FanGraphs and ESPN’s Keith Law.
Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times describes the Angels’ strategy regarding free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira. He says that since Tex will test the open market regardless, the Halos will not make an offer within their exclusive negotiation period. So much for resolving the situation quickly.
The Angels do not want Scott Boras shopping around their offer to the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, and Nationals and driving up the price. Just a guess, maybe the Nats consider Josh Willingham their cleanup hitter acquisition and will back out of the Teixeira derby.
DiGiovanna adds that the Angels "plan a serious run" at C.C. Sabathia and could bid on A.J. Burnett. He also describes their stance on their own free agents aside from Teixeira:
The team will look to re-sign reliever Darren Oliver, is open to retaining closer Francisco Rodriguez and outfielder Juan Rivera, and seems lukewarm to the idea of retaining pitcher Jon Garland and outfielder Garret Anderson.
Links for Wednesday…
- The Brewers snagged infielder Casey McGehee off waivers from the Cubs. The Crew also designated Joe Dillon for assignment.
- The Reds signed 16 year-old lefty Ismael Guillon out of Venezuela.
- MLB.com’s Marty Noble discusses the Mets and impending free agents Oliver Perez and Pedro Martinez. The Mets will entertain re-signing Perez at their price, but they’ll let Pedro leave. Any guesses on where he pitches next year?
- Joe Pawlikowski at River Ave. Blues would like the Yankees to sign free agent outfielder Juan Rivera. Brian Cashman traded Rivera, Randy Choate, and Nick Johnson to the Expos for Javier Vazquez back in 2003.
- Brett Myers never wants to pitch in Boston again.
- Two more free agent bargains from Dave Cameron: Joe Crede and Dave Ross. Crede would be a solid one-year signing for the Dodgers or Twins.
- South Side Sox doesn’t see the White Sox adding much else for second base. There goes my Ray Durham idea.
- El Lefty Malo examines the latest Giants rumors.
- J.C. Bradbury provides values for Vladimir Guerrero, John Lackey, and Garret Anderson.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Boston Red Sox | Brett Myers | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Dave Ross | Garret Anderson | Joe Crede | John Lackey | Juan Rivera | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Oliver Perez | Pedro Martinez | Philadelphia Phillies | San Francisco Giants | Vladimir Guerrero