- Hamilton, Angels Discussing Resolution Of Dispute
- Introducing The New MLB Trade Rumors Mobile Site
- Cubs To Promote Kris Bryant
- Rays Sign J.P. Arencibia To Minor League Deal
- Yankees Interested In Braves’ Jose Peraza
- Diamondbacks Promote Yasmany Tomas
- Angels May Seek Contract Action Against Josh Hamilton
- Braves Release Carlos Quentin
- Indians Sign Jhoulys Chacin, Designate Shaun Marcum
- Alex Rios Fractures Left Hand
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Hamilton, Angels Discussing Resolution Of Dispute
- Central Notes: Francona, Bailey, Bryant
- Minor Moves: Emmanuel Burriss
- Week In Review: 4/11/15 – 4/17/15
- Inside The Christian Yelich Extension
- Quick Hits: Bryant, Cubs, Hamilton
- NL East Notes: Braves, Peraza, Gee
- NL West Notes: Cruz, Giants, Tomas
- Minor Moves: White Sox, Indians
- Heyman’s Latest: Padres, Buehrle, Greene
- Craig Stammen Requires Elbow Surgery, May Miss Season
- Dodgers Claim Daniel Corcino, Designate Ryan Dennick
- 13 Role Changes That Have Impacted Earning Power
- Should Kris Bryant Have Been On The Cubs’ Opening Day Roster?
- AL East Notes: Reyes, Castro, Arencibia, Ramirez
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Matt Downs Rumors
The Marlins have signed second baseman Matt Downs to a minor league deal, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America (on Twitter). MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reported late last week that Downs was close to a deal with Miami and that it would include an invite to Spring Training.
Downs, 28, hit .202/.253/.371 with eight homers in 191 plate appearances for Houston in 2012. The year prior, he posted a .276/.347/.518 slash line with ten homers in 222 plate appearances for the Astros. Downs also has experience playing first base, shortstop, third base, and the corner outfield spots.
Downs, 28, elected free agency after being designated for assignment by the Astros back in October. He hit .202/.253/.371 with eight homers in 191 plate appearances for Houston in 2012, though one year prior he managed a .276/.347/.518 line with ten homers in 222 plate appearances. Downs has experience at all four infield positions and the two corner outfield spots.
The latest outright assignments…
- The Astros announced that Fernando Abad, Sergio Escalona, Edgar Gonzalez, Jose Valdez, Kyle Weiland and the recently-DFA'ed Matt Downs have been outrighted to Triple-A. All will become free agents except Weiland, who has been placed on the Triple-A roster.
- The Brewers have outrighted Nyjer Morgan to Triple-A, the team announced. Morgan was a key part of the Brewers' NL Central-winning team in 2011 but struggled last season, hitting .239/.302/.308 and getting less playing time in the Milwaukee outfield. MLBTR's Tim Dierkes recently projected Morgan as a non-tender candidate.
- The Brewers also confirmed that Jose Veras has elected to become a free agent after being outrighted off the 40-man roster yesterday.
- The Braves outrighted right-hander Erik Cordier to Triple-A, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports (Twitter link). The 26-year-old pitched at three levels this past season, posting a 5.85 ERA with 7.5 K/9 in 32 1/3 total innings. He walked 32 of the 155 batters he faced, however. The Braves announced that they also outrighted catcher J.C. Boscan and left-hander Robert Fish off of the 40-man roster. Boscan elected free agency, according to the team.
Downs played in 91 games for the Astros this past season, appearing at all four infield positions and at both corner outfield positions. He posted a .202/.253/.371 batting line in 191 plate appearances, down from the .276/.347/.518 line he posted in his first full season with the Astros. The 28-year-old bats from the right side and has shown slightly more power against left-handed pitching in his four-year MLB career.
The Astros claimed infielder Matt Downs off waivers from the Giants, tweets Alyson Footer. Downs has been assigned to the team's Triple A affiliate. He was designated for assignment on Monday to clear a spot for Cody Ross.
Downs, 26, struggled in the bigs over 148 career plate appearances in 2009-10. He played second base in the Majors, but has minor league experience at shortstop, third base, and the outfielder corners as well. This year marked his third Triple A stint; his power slipped as he posted a .254/.348/.416 line in a half-season. Downs was still considered a prospect heading into the 2009 season, when Baseball America ranked him 24th on their Giants list and published praise from GM Brian Sabean.
Downs, 26, struggled in the bigs over 148 career plate appearances in 2009-10. He played second base in the Majors, but has minor league experience at shortstop, third base, and the outfielder corners too. This year marked his third Triple A stint; his power slipped as he posted a .254/.348/.416 line in a half-season. Downs was still considered a prospect heading into the 2009 season, when Baseball America ranked him 24th on their Giants list and published praise from GM Brian Sabean.