Matt Maloney Rumors
Here's a look at today's minor moves, courtesy of Baseball America's Matt Eddy..
- The Red Sox have signed left-hander Matt Maloney to a minor league deal, according to Eddy. The 29-year-old has spent time in the big leagues in each of the past four seasons and owns a career 3.83 ERA with 7.5 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in Triple-A.
- The Mets have re-signed left-hander Justin Hampson, Eddy writes. The 32-year-old posted a 2.33 ERA with 8.1 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 for Triple-A Buffalo in 2012. Hampson also saw time in 13 big league games last season for the Mets and a combined 74 for the Padres in 2007 and 2008.
- The Phillies released shortstop Andres Blanco, according to Eddy. Blanco, 28, last appeared in the majors with the Rangers in 2011 and owns a career .255/.301/.333 slash line across six big league seasons.
- The Blue Jays re-signed right-hander Clint Everts, Eddy reports. Everts, who spent last season with Toronto's Triple-A affiliate, was taken with the fifth-overall pick in the 2002 draft by the Expos.
Today's outright assignments..
- The Twins announced via Twitter that left-hander Matt Maloney has cleared waivers and been assigned outright to Triple-A Rochester. The 27-year-old was designated for assignment on Wednesday to make room for right-hander P.J. Walters.
The Twins announced via Twitter that they have designated left-hander Matt Maloney for assignment. The move, along with their demotion of Danny Valencia to Triple-A, will allow the club to promote Darin Mastroianni and select the contract of right-hander P.J. Walters.
Minnesota first acquired the 27-year-old off of waivers from the Reds last Halloween. Maloney didn't impress in his limited opportunities this year as he allowed ten runs with five strikeouts and a walk in eleven innings.