Matt Joyce Rumors
Today's stray Winter Meetings links as everyone heads home...
- Jason Giambi maintains hopes of returning to the Yankees; he may be willing to take a discount.
- Dave Cameron believes the Rays won the Edwin Jackson-Matt Joyce swap, handily.
- Brett Saberhagen was hired as an agent for Dan Evans' firm. He'll focus on pitchers.
- Shawn Chacon's agent is trying to find his client a job. Troy Renck also notes that the Rockies' offer to Glendon Rusch is a $750K minor league deal.
- Kevin Kaduk relays his first Winter Meetings experience.
11:06pm: Jon Paul Morosi says the swap has been finalized. The Tigers get Jackson for his three arb years, while the Rays get six years of Joyce. Joyce is a strong defensive right fielder who posted a fine rookie half-season.
9:55pm: Marc Topkin says the final details are being worked out in this trade. Bill Chastain's Rays source says they don't have a completed trade. The Rays would add an outfielder and save a few million with the deal.
8:43pm: According to Ed Price, the Tigers are set to acquire Edwin Jackson from the Rays for outfielder Matt Joyce.
2:04pm: Ken Rosenthal says the Cardinals offered Rick Ankiel and a prospect for Putz. The Tigers remain interested as well.
9:23am: According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, "the Tigers' interest in acquiring closer J.J. Putz from Seattle appears stronger than ever." Morosi says the Mariners insist the Tigers include Jeff Larish and Matt Joyce in a deal. If the Ms acquire Larish and are convinced he can play third base, they may be motivated to shop Adrian Beltre. Morosi adds that Brewers and Cardinals have also inquired on Putz.
Brian Fuentes still seems too pricey for Detroit, and Kerry Wood is apparently off the board. Morosi says the Tigers have "mild interest" in Baltimore's George Sherrill. Joe Beimel remains their top choice among lefty relievers, but the Tigers have yet to offer a contract.
Links for Saturday...
- Jason Michaels is confused by the lack of interest from the Pirates, who have said they want him back.
- Khalil Greene says he's frustrated to have let the Padres down and Tim Sullivan writes that it wasn't for lack of intensity. The Padres still won't be dropping their grievance against Greene.
- Buster Olney expects Mark Prior to sign a minor-league deal with the Padres.
- Jason Beck writes that the Tigers could afford to trade either Jeff Larish or Matt Joyce in a deal for Jack Wilson. Detroit has other weaknesses to address though, so Beck thinks they could hold onto their trade chips and sign a player like Adam Everett.
- Arbitration could work for both Jason Varitek and the Red Sox, suggests Sean McAdam.
- Tony Massarotti has five reasons to keep Justin Masterson in the bullpen.
- The Angels signed South Korean righty Pil Joon Jang to a minor league contract.
- Jay Jaffe plays Yankees GM at Baseball Prospectus.
- MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo ranks the best Rule 5 Draft selections since 1990.
- Tom Verducci looks back at the career Greg Maddux had.
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates are eyeing Tigers players Jeff Larish and Matt Joyce as part of a potential Jack Wilson deal. They could get one of the two as well as a pitching prospect. The $7.85MM owed to Wilson remains an issue; it's not known how much the Bucs are willing to pick up.
The Tigers have other options, as they plan to meet with Adam Everett's agent next week.
Kovacevic adds that the Pirates removed Jason Davis and Raul Chavez from the 40-man roster today, creating two spots for future moves.