Matt Mantei Rumors
- The White Sox had a scout watching Noah Lowry's disaster yesterday. Maybe that affected him.
- Todd Zolecki says Ruben Amaro Jr. is the frontrunner for the Phillies' GM job next year, with Mike Arbuckle the other main candidate. Meanwhile, Bob Ford thinks the Phils should've paid $200K for Cole Hamels' happiness.
- Looks like Matt Mantei's comeback attempt may come to an end. Despite Jim Leyland's comments, you have to think Dave Dombrowski will troll the market for relievers. Leyland also talked about how he's not going to force Brandon Inge to catch.
- Jeff Sackmann discusses some clubs that would stand to gain around three wins by signing Barry Bonds.
- Jonathan Papelbon's contract is likely to be renewed today, and he's probably not getting $900K.
- Tom Haudricourt offers up a primer on renewals, arbitration, free agency, all that stuff.
Full Story | Comments (14) | Categories: Barry Bonds | Boston Red Sox | Brandon Inge | Chicago White Sox | Cole Hamels | Detroit Tigers | Jonathan Papelbon | Matt Mantei | Noah Lowry | Philadelphia Phillies | San Francisco Giants
Your usual dose of random rumors and links...
- Justin Morneau says he has had no extension discussions with the Twins.
- The Reds brought Walt Jocketty aboard as a special advisor to President and CEO Bob Castellini today. For now, Wayne Krivsky's job appears safe. But jeez, with Walt in the house he has to be feeling a little pressure, doesn't he? In other news, the Reds talked with Brett Tomko's agent this week.
- The Tigers signed Matt Mantei for the league minimum. He can ask for his release if he's not in the bigs by May 1st. As Jon Paul Morosi notes Mantei hasn't pitched in the Majors for more than two years.
- RotoAuthority ranks the third basemen for fantasy baseball.
- Buster Olney says the A's talks with the Braves for Mark Kotsay "have a chance of becoming serious today."
- Gotham Baseball's Mark Healey has a source who believes the Mets will get Johan Santana "no matter what they have to do."
- The Rangers made the Eddie Guardado deal official, and also brought Jamey Wright back on a minor league contract. Guardado got a bit more than I expected - $2MM base plus $4MM in incentives for games pitched and finished.
Full Story | Comments (12) | Categories: Atlanta Braves | Cincinnati Reds | Detroit Tigers | Eddie Guardado | Jamey Wright | Johan Santana | Justin Morneau | Mark Kotsay | Matt Mantei | Minnesota Twins | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | RotoAuthority | Texas Rangers | Walt Jocketty
Here are this morning's random rumors and links.
- Matt Mantei will throw for the Tigers this week, and hopes to get a minor league deal. The 34 year-old hasn't pitched in the bigs since 2005 for Boston.
- The D'Backs will watch Keith Foulke throw later this month as he attempts his comeback after a year off. The Indians and Red Sox are other teams Foulke may have special interest in.
- The Mariners signed Miguel Cairo in an effort to push incumbent second baseman Jose Lopez. Cairo has a career line of .267/.315/.367, while Lopez is at .261/.295/.379. Cairo is the lesser of two evils, I guess.
- Andy MacPhail is talking about (or at least posturing that) he's going to start looking to fill holes via free agency since he's not getting the right trade offers. I imagine Octavio Dotel is still on the Orioles' radar to close.
- The Rangers were close to signing Eddie Guardado in December, and now they're...still close.
Full Story | Comments (7) | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Detroit Tigers | Eddie Guardado | Matt Mantei | Miguel Cairo | Seattle Mariners | Texas Rangers
Your daily collection of random rumors and links...
- MLB.com's Free Agent Frenzy has begun. You can win Opening Day tickets by closely predicting where 15 free agents will land. A good strategic move would be to wait until deadline day, November 15th, before submitting. That way you'll have more info (keep your browser right here for all the latest free agent info). By the way, my Top 50 Free Agents list should be ready around Monday.
- Fielding Bible has their 2007 awards (click the Winners tab). So much for those who say Andruw is slipping!
- Miguel Cabrera is available, according to Peter Gammons. Gammons thinks any package would have to begin with a top pitching prospect such as Phil Hughes, Clay Buchholz, or Clayton Kershaw.
- Sounds like the Rockies want to keep the 2007 club mostly intact by bringing back free agents (Kaz Matsui, Yorvit Torrealba, Matt Herges, LaTroy Hawkins). However Josh Fogg and Jeremy Affeldt may be allowed to leave.
- Though they're on his list, it doesn't sound like the D'Backs can afford Curt Schilling.
- The A's are talking about re-signing Shannon Stewart, but I don't see it. That would have to cost at least $3-4MM. Meanwhile, Mike Piazza might retire. Susan Slusser talks about how the A's would receive compensation for Stewart and Piazza, both Type B free agents. But that's only if they offer them arbitration, which is questionable.
- Comeback time! Matt Mantei is all surgically repaired and wants to get back into action. He feels great! He'd take a minor league contract and/or play for the minimum. Can't wait til spring, when we can hear about all the guys who are in the best shape of their careers. The Tigers might need him with Joel Zumaya's new, odd injury.
- A couple of 40+ southpaws will pitch in '08 - Tom Glavine and David Wells.
- The O's will pass on Kris Benson at $7.5MM next year, no surprise. He had rotator cuff surgery last March.
- U.S.S. Mariner's "reasonable" offseason plan.
Full Story | Comments (26) | Categories: Arizona Diamondbacks | Colorado Rockies | Curt Schilling | David Wells | Kris Benson | Matt Mantei | Miami Marlins | Miguel Cabrera | Mike Piazza | Oakland Athletics | Shannon Stewart | Tom Glavine
Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo Reds Designate Corky Miller For Assignment Cubs Release Kameron Loe Astros Release Rick Ankiel Blue Jays Designate Edgar Gonzalez For Assignment Pirates Release Jonathan Sanchez
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez Draft Notes: Gray, Manaea, Twins, White Sox Padres Don't Intend To Trade Chase Headley Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment A's Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Astros Open To Extension With Jose Altuve Minor Moves: Humber, Jeroloman, Boyer Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Halladay, Porcello, Dodgers Hanshin Tigers Pursuing David Aardsma
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors