- Orioles Designate Chris Parmelee
- Mets Acquire Yoenis Cespedes
- Pirates Acquire J.A. Happ
- Rangers Acquire Sam Dyson From Marlins For Tomas Telis
- Cubs Acquire Tommy Hunter For Junior Lake
- Red Sox Acquire Ryan Cook
- Pirates, Dodgers Swap Jose Tabata, Michael Morse
- Cubs Acquire Dan Haren
- Blue Jays Acquire Ben Revere
- Twins Acquire Kevin Jepsen
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Trade Deadline Roundup: NL West
- Trade Deadline Roundup: NL Central
- Trade Deadline Roundup: NL East
- Trade Deadline Roundup: AL West
- Trade Deadline Roundup: AL Central
- Trade Deadline Roundup: AL East
- NL Central Notes: Chapman, Reds, Brewers
- Mariners Promote Ketel Marte
- AL Central Notes: Cespedes, Tigers, White Sox
- AL East Notes: Revere, Orioles, Red Sox, Jays
- Orioles Designate Chris Parmelee
- Mets Notes: Upton, Bruce, Wheeler
- Minor MLB Transactions: 7/31/15
- Yankees To Promote Luis Severino
- Mets Acquire Yoenis Cespedes
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Mauro Gomez Rumors
The Nationals have requested release waivers on first baseman Mauro Gomez, the team announced. Gomez intends to play in Japan next season and he already has an agreement in place with the Hanshin Tigers.
Gomez, 29, hit .275/.324/.422 in 111 PA with the Red Sox in 2012, his only taste of Major League experience in a decade-long pro career that has been him play in four different organizations' farm systems. He has a career .278/.333/.488 slash line and 159 homers in 3842 minor league PA, including 29 homers and an .843 OPS posted last season with the Blue Jays' Triple-A affiliate. Toronto designated Gomez for assignment in September and Washington claimed him two days later.
Here are today's outright assignments and minor moves from around the league…
- Outfielder Aaron Cunningham has agreed to a minor league deal with the Cubs, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes reported yesterday (on Twitter). A former top prospect, Cunningham has batted just .219/.280/.347 in 501 Major League plate appearances between the A's, Padres and Indians. He spent the 2013 season with the Rangers' Triple-A affiliate, slashing .247/.337/.401 in 115 games.
- The Rockies have signed right-hander Greg Burke to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. The 31-year-old Burke hurled 31 2/3 innings for the Mets in 2013. His 5.68 ERA doesn't look very pretty, but Burke whiffed eight hitters per nine innings and averaged 4.3 walks per nine. His 3.93 FIP and 3.95 xFIP give plenty of reason for optimism.
- Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker passes along a Sanspo article reporting that the Hanshin Tigers have an agreement in place to acquire Mauro Gomez (Twitter link). Gomez, 29, spent most of the season in the Blue Jays system but was claimed off waivers by the Nationals on Sept. 5. The powerful righty swatted 29 home runs for Triple-A Buffalo this season and slashed .249/.332/.521 in 453 plate appearances.
- Athletics right-hander Pat Neshek has elected free agency, per the A's Transactions page. Neshek, 33, has played an important role in Oakland's bullpen over the past two seasons, totaling 60 innings of 2.70 ERA ball with 6.8 K/9 and 3.2 BB/9. The side-armer has faced 555 right-handed hitters in his career, holding them to a paltry .181/.257/.315 batting line. As shown in our A's Arbitration Eligibles post, Neshek is just short of six full years of service time and would have qualified for arbitration one more time this winter, projecting to earn $1.2MM, per MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz.
- The Braves have outrighted second baseman Philip Gosselin to Triple-A Gwinnett, according to the team's Transactions page. The 25-year-old Gosselin made his MLB debut this year, collecting a pair of singles and a walk in seven plate appearances. In 469 minor league plate appearnces split between Double-A and Triple-A, Gosselin batted .254/.299/.318.
Gomez, 28, hit .275/.324/.422 with a pair of homers in 111 plate appearances for the Red Sox last season before being claimed off waivers by the Blue Jays this April. In 453 plate appearances for Toronto's Triple-A affiliate this season, Gomes batted .249/.322/.521 with 29 homers. While his average and OBP were down from his career marks at Triple-A, Gomez's .272 ISO was an improvement. In 1436 career plate appearances at the Triple-A level, he owns a .289/.350/.542 slash line.
Primarily a first baseman, Gomez does have 89 games of third base experience at the minor league level, including 10 games at the hot corner in 2013.
The Blue Jays designated first baseman Mauro Gomez for assignment, according to Scott MacArthur of TSN (via Twitter). Toronto also moved Melky Cabrera and Josh Johnson to 60-day DL, officially ending their 2013 seasons.
Gomez, soon to be 29, has spent the entire year with the Blue Jays’ Triple-A affiliate, hitting .249/.322/.521 with 29 homers in 453 plate appearances. The first/third baseman saw some time in the majors last season with the Red Sox where he posted a .275/.324/.422 slash line in 37 games.
You can keep track of all of the players currently in DFA limbo using the MLBTR DFA Tracker.
The Blue Jays claimed infielder Mauro Gomez off waivers from the Red Sox, according to a Toronto press release. The Blue Jays designated pitcher Dave Bush for assigment to open a 40-man roster spot for Gomez.
The Red Sox had designated Gomez for assignment last week to open a 40-man roster spot for Jackie Bradley, Jr. Gomez, 28, hit .310/.371/.589 with 24 home runs in 426 Triple-A plate appearances last year, playing mostly first base. He reportedly drew some interest from the Hanshin Tigers during the offseason.
Bush, 33, has logged over 1,100 innings in the bigs, and led the National League with a 4.37 K/BB ratio for the Brewers in 2006. After spending all of 2012 at Triple-A, he clawed his way back to the Majors only to suffer the indignity of allowing four homers to the Red Sox yesterday in his one appearance. Bush was the first to manage that since Brian Bass in 2009, but at least George Caster's record of six home runs allowed in a relief appearance, set in 1940, still stands.