Miguel Olivo Rumors
The Dodgers have signed catchers Miguel Olivo and Griff Erickson to minor league deals with Spring Training invitations, the club announced. They will join a host of other catchers in camp, including A.J. Ellis, Tim Federowicz, Drew Butera, and J.C. Boscan.
Olivo, 35, saw just 80 plate appearances last year for the Marlins after having notched at least 281 trips to the plate for the prior ten years. He slashed .203/.250/.392 last year, and carries a career .241/.275/.417 line in nearly 4,000 career plate appearances.
Erickson, a 25-year-old who qualified for minor league free agency, will stay in the only professional organization he's ever known. He has spent much of the last three years at Double-A, and has never spent any substantial time at the highest minor league level. In 2013, Erickson posted a .199/.324/.414 triple-slash in 217 Double-A plate appearances.
Let's take a look at the latest news and notes involving the American League East:
- The Red Sox are open to trade market upgrades in the bullpen and at third base, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.
- One name on Boston's list of bullpen trade targets is the White Sox's Matt Thornton, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com (Twitter link). The Braves also have "limited" interest in the left-hander.
- Josh Johnson, set to become a free agent at the end of the season, has seen injury and poor performance affect his value to the point where it is difficult to see the Blue Jays pursue a multi-year deal with him, writes the Toronto Star's Richard Griffin. Johnson may be forced to accept a qualifying offer from the Blue Jays, assuming he receives one, to rebuild his value for 2014, opines Griffin.
- The Phillies' Michael Young and Carlos Ruiz both could be on the Yankees' radar as they have a scout in Philadelphia today, tweets Jayson Stark of ESPN.
- The recently-released Miguel Olivo is not on the Yankees' radar, but first baseman Russ Canzler, who was designated for assignment yesterday, might pique their curiosity, according to the New York Post's Joel Sherman (Twitter links).
- Earlier today, the Yankees added first base depth by claiming Travis Ishikawa off waivers from the Orioles. O's Executive Vice President Dan Duquette told reporters, including Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com, he acquired Eric Thames from the Mariners last week knowing he could lose Ishikawa to another team.
Here are today's minor moves...
- Royals lefty Francisley Bueno has cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Omaha, tweets Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star. Bueno was designated last Tuesday.
- The Indians announced on Twitter that right-hander Chris Jakubauskas has been released from Triple-A Columbus. The 34-year-old appeared in 11 games for the Clippers, totaling 14 innings of 3.86 ERA ball with 8.4 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9. He has also appeared in the Brewers organization this year.
- Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest tweets that Kyle McClellan, who was designated for assignment on Tuesday, will remain with in the Rangers organization after clearing waivers. McClellan will accept an outright assignment to Double-A Frisco. The 29-year-old allowed eight runs in 9 1/3 innings of work with the Rangers this season.
- Miguel Olivo has cleared waivers and elected free agency, according to Juan C. Rodriguez of the Miami Sun Sentinel (on Twitter). Olivo was designated for assignment earlier this week after hitting .203/.250/.392 and informing the Marlins that he was quitting due to a lack of playing time.
- The Blue Jays announced that Chien-Ming Wang has cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Buffalo, the team announced (hat tip: Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet on Twitter). Wang's agent told Nicholson-Smith on Wednesday that he would accept an assignment to Triple-A rather than electing free agency if he cleared waivers. Wang was roughed up in his final two outings with the Jays to send his ERA soaring to 7.13.
- Seven players are currently in DFA limbo: Brandon Lyon (Mets), Hector Gimenez (White Sox), P.J. Walters (Twins), Shawn Camp (Cubs), Travis Ishikawa (Orioles), Alex Liddi (Mariners), and Eric Hinske (D-Backs).
The Marlins have announced that catcher Miguel Olivo has been reinstated from the restricted list and designated for assignment.
The soon-to-be 35-year-old was placed on the restricted list after he told the team that he was quitting due to frustration surrounding his playing time. Weeks later, he was said to be seeking his release from the Marlins.
Olivo hit just .203/.250/.392 in 80 plate appearances over 33 games for the Marlins. The team's 25-man roster had become clogged with catchers after Jeff Mathis returned from the disabled list to back-up Rob Brantly. In parts of 12 Major League seasons with the Marlins, Mariners, White Sox, Rockies, Royals and Padres, Olivo is a .241/.275/.417 hitter with 145 home runs. He's caught 34 percent of opposing base-stealers, but only once has he posted an OBP north of .300.
Catcher Miguel Olivo was placed on the restricted list earlier today due his dissatisfaction with the Marlins over playing time. The veteran now says that he is seeking an outright release from the club so that he can find a better opportunity elsewhere, writes Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
"I'm just praying to God they release me and don't be selfish," he said. "I've been very professional. I've done everything I could to help the team. They're only hurting one person, and that's me. I'm a nice person. I don't want to hurt nobody."
Olivo, who was signed by the Marlins at the end of spring training for $800K, has a .203/.250/.392 slash line with four home runs in mostly part-time duty this season. Those numbers line up with his output in the previous two seasons with the Mariners, but it's a drop from his career line of .241/.275/.417.
The catcher stormed out of Marlins Park in street clothes before last night's game as the National Anthem was playing, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. There's a chance that the Marlins try to trade Olivo as he sits on the restricted list without pay.
The Marlins have placed catcher Miguel Olivo on the restricted list, tweets Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. The team has recalled outfielder Jordan Brown from Triple-A to take Olivo's 25-man roster spot.
Capozzi notes (via Twitter) that the veteran backstop had been unhappy with a lack of regular playing time, and told the club yesterday that he was quitting. Olivo, 34, had not seen a start behind the dish since the middle of May. He had a .203/.250/.392 line in just 80 plate appearances this year, figures that line up with his output over his last two seasons with the Mariners.
Players on the restricted list do not count toward a team's 25-man or 40-man roster. They do not accrue service time and are not always paid. Miami had Rob Brantly and Jeff Mathis on the active roster at catcher, but only four regular outfielders. Brown already had a spot on the team's 40-man roster.
8:07pm: Olivo's deal with the Marlins is worth $800K, reports Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel (on Twitter). The Marlins can release him within 45 days without owing him the rest of that amount, however.
MLB.com's Joe Frisaro had previously reported that Olivo was "a strong candidate to return" to the Marlins. Frisaro also said "there are indictations [Olivo] will wind up" with his former team.
After deciding to use Devin Mesoraco as Ryan Hanigan's backup, the Reds offered the mandated $100K retention bonus for Olivo to head to Triple-A. Olivo declined and became a free agent. As Frisaro notes, Jeff Mathis' broken collarbone leaves the Marlins without an experienced catcher, aside from Koyie Hill.
Olivo, 34, hit .222/.239/.381 in 323 plate appearances for the Mariners last year. He was with the Marlins from 2006-07, hitting 32 home runs in 249 games. Olivo ranks fourth among active catchers with 141 career home runs.
Charlie Wilmoth contributed to this post.
We'll keep track of today's minor moves here..
- Catcher Miguel Olivo has asked for and been granted his release by the Reds, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter). It was previously reported that Olivo was mulling whether to accept a $100k bonus and report to Triple-A, or instead test the market. Olivo could be an option for the Marlins, writes Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
- The Rays have released minor leaguer righties Nick Barnese and Joe Cruz, reports Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times on Twitter. Barnese, a third-rounder from 2007, threw 56 2/3 innings over 12 starts in Double-A last year and mustered only a 5.72 ERA with 4.8 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9.
- Infielder Donnie Murphy exercised his out clause with the Brewers today and took his release, tweets Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. The 30-year-old hooked on with Milwaukee in December and hit hit .216/.281/.379 in 129 plate appearances with the Marlins last season. Murphy is a .205/.270/.373 career hitter in 640 big league plate appearances and a .285/.351/.556 career hitter 738 Triple-A plate appearances.
Major League Baseball's new collective bargaining agreement contains a provision that allows certain free agents who are signed to minor league contracts to receive a $100K retention bonus if they are not on the team's 25-man roster or the Major League disabled list five days prior to the season.
Free agents who qualify for this distinction are those who have at least six years of Major League service time and had a Major League contract expire at the end of the previous season, but signed a minor league deal ten or more days prior to Opening Day.
MLBTR has confirmed with MLB that the deadline for teams to decide on these players is today at 11am central time. By the deadline, teams with these players in camp need to decide whether to:
- Add the player to their 25-man roster or Major League disabled list (or agree to do so in writing).
- Grant the player his outright release from the minor league contract so that he may pursue opportunities with other teams.
- Pay the player a $100K retention bonus to keep him in the organization beyond the deadline and send him to the minors.
Here's the latest news from around the league on Article XX(B) signees and their roster statuses with their respective teams (newest updates on top).
- Miguel Olivo has been offered the $100k retention bonus and is still deciding whether to accept it, tweets John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
- Austin Kearns and Casey Kotchman made the Marlins' 25-man roster, according to the team.
- Mets reliever Tim Byrdak will report to the minors and take the $100K retention bonus, MLBTR has learned. Byrdak is returning from August shoulder surgery.
- The Rangers told Derek Lowe that he has made the team as a reliever, according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.
- Chad Gaudin's contract was purchased and added to the Giants' roster, tweets Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com.
- Chad Qualls made the Marlins' bullpen, MLBTR has learned.
- With Brandon Gomes being optioned to Triple-A, it looks like reliever Jamey Wright has made the Rays, tweets Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune. The Rays have told both Wright and Juan Carlos Oviedo they will be added to the roster, tweets Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Oviedo had Tommy John surgery in September, so I imagine he'll land on the 60-day disabled list.
- The Pirates have committed to keeping Brandon Inge on the roster, tweets Sanserino, though he may start the season on the DL after being hit by a pitch.
- Reliever Pedro Feliciano accepted a minor league assignment from the Mets, tweets Marc Carig of Newsday, so he'll snag the $100K retention bonus.
- Jonathan Sanchez made the Pirates' rotation, tweets Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The 30-year-old posted a 4.73 ERA with a 1.11 K/BB ratio in 13 1/3 innings this spring, but the Pirates saw something they liked.
- Lyle Overbay and Aaron Cook were released by their respective teams today.
The Reds announced that they signed catcher Miguel Olivo to a minor league contract with an invitation to MLB Spring Training (Twitter link). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, who first reported the sides were nearing a deal, reports that the Phillies, Astros and Dodgers also inquired on Olivo (Twitter links).
Olivo, 34, played for the Mariners in 2012, appearing in 87 games. The right-handed hitter posted a .222/.239/.381 batting line with 12 home rune in 323 plate appearances. He hit for more power against left-handers than right-handers last year, which isn't surprising considering his career line of .270/.303/.477 against southpaws.
Agent Martin Arburua represents Olivo, an 11-year MLB veteran, who earned $3.5MM in 2012. He joins a Reds roster that includes Ryan Hanigan and Devin Mesoraco. The free agent market for catchers no longer features many options for interested teams. Rod Barajas, Chris Snyder and Matt Treanor are among the remaining options, as MLBTR's Free Agent Tracker shows.