Mike Redmond Rumors

Marlins Hire Mike Redmond

The Marlins hired Mike Redmond to be their next manager, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (Twitter links). Redmond, a former MLB catcher, spent seven years of his playing career with the Marlins. The 41-year-old obtains a three-year deal to replace Ozzie Guillen in Miami as the Marlins look to rebound from a disappointing 2012 season.

Redmond managed the Dunedin Blue Jays of the Florida State League from 2011-12. The team finished 77-60 in 2011 and went 78-55 this past season. Redmond's 13-year playing career ended just two years ago, in 2010. He played for the Marlins, Twins and Indians, and was Ivan Rodriguez's backup on the 2003 Marlins team that won the World Series. As Jeff Passan explained last year, Redmond has some unconventional methods for breaking out of slumps.

Former player and manager Larry Bowa and Reds pitching coach Bryan Price were also candidates for the position. The Blue Jays and Rockies are now the only teams seeking managers.


Managerial Notes: Blue Jays, Marlins, Rockies

Three teams are seeking managers now that the Marlins have officially dismissed Ozzie Guillen. Here’s the latest with the most recent updates up top…

  • Mike Redmond will interview with the Marlins for their managerial opening tonight, Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel reports (on Twitter). Redmond and Bryan Price are in the running for the job, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reported last night. Redmond, a minor league manager for the Blue Jays, appears to be an early favorite for the position, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com writes.
  • Nationals bench coach Randy Knorr hasn't been contacted by the Blue Jays about their vacancy, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports (on Twitter). The Blue Jays are still in information gathering mode, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter). Sandy Alomar Jr.Tim Wallach and DeMarlo Hale are among the names in play.
  • The role of the manager has changed with the increased use of social media, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney writes. Outspoken skippers like Guillen and Bobby Valentine risk alienating their players in today’s media environment.
  • Jason Giambi blew the Rockies away in his interview for the team’s managerial opening, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports. The veteran power hitter left no doubt about his preparation and desire to get the job. Wallach, Alomar, Mike Gallego and Brad Ausmus are among the external candidates the Rockies are expected to contact, according to Renck.
  • President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said the Marlins will consider candidates without previous experience managing at the MLB level, Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports. Valentine is not a candidate and former Marlins Mike Lowell and Jeff Conine have indicated they aren't seeking MLB managing jobs.

Mike Redmond Retires

Catcher Mike Redmond has retired after 13 big league seasons, he told Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.  Redmond signed an $850K big league deal with the Indians during the offseason, but was released in July.  He plans to look for a new job in baseball.

Redmond batted .287/.342/.358 in 764 career games for the Marlins, Twins, and Indians, catching over 5,300 innings.  He earned about $9MM in his career.



Indians Release Mike Redmond

FRIDAY: The Indians released Redmond, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer (via Twitter).

SATURDAY: The Indians have designated catcher Mike Redmond for assignment, tweets Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com.  In his place, Cleveland promoted Chris Gimenez from Triple-A Columbus.

Redmond, 39, has made just two starts since Carlos Santana joined the big league club.  In 22 games for the Tribe this season, the veteran has hit .206/.242/.270.  For his career, Redmond owns a slash line of .287/.342/.358.

The catcher can retire comfortably if he chooses to do so.  Baseball Reference estimates that Redmond has earned roughly $9MM in his 13-season major league career. 


Indians Not Engaged In Any Trade Talks

Despite owning the second worst record (19-31) and run differential (-64) in the American League, Indians' GM Mark Shapiro is under no orders from CEO Paul Dolan to make trades and cut payroll like he has during the last two seasons, according to The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Paul Hoynes

"We are not actively engaged in talks about anyone right now," said Shapiro. "The season's natural cycle will dictate when we consider some alternatives. We're not mandated to make any trades for monetary reasons.

"We'll look at each trade (possibility) as an opportunity to acquire talent and it's budgetary impact. But the acquisition of talent will be the primary driver."

Shapiro indicated that he could explore trades involving "anyone in the last year of their contracts," so that includes Russell Branyan, Austin Kearns, Mark Grudzielanek, Jhonny Peralta, Mike RedmondJake Westbrook, and Jamey Wright. Even if they move Westbrook, the Indians feel they may have a chance to re-sign him after the season as a free agent.

Top prospect Carlos Santana is expected to be up at some point this season, but Shapiro did make sure to mention that his defense needs to improve, particularly his throwing. They plan on taking advantage of every day possible in the minors to help him develop, which shows that the team is looking for production on both sides of the ball, not just at the plate.

The Indians figure to be a prominent player at the trade deadline this year given their inventory, with Westbrook representing to be their most desirable chip. Even though he's still owed about $7.6MM this season, his 4.36 ERA in 11 starts might be a big enough upgrade to justify the cost for some teams. 


Indians Sign Mike Redmond

The Indians have signed catcher Mike Redmond, according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com. The 38-year-old has backed up Joe Mauer since 2005 and he figures to do the same for Lou Marson in Cleveland. As Castrovince notes, it's the first major league free agent signing the Indians have made this offseason.

Redmond hit .237/.299/.289 in 147 plate appearances last year. He has a career OBP of .345, but very little power. He hit just two homers in his five-year stint with the Twins. The Padres, who are also looking for catching depth,had been linked to Redmond earlier in the month.


Padres Have $5-8MM Left To Spend

A source has indicated that the Padres have about $5-8MM left to spend this offseason, according to Dan Hayes of The North County Times. The team is expected to enter 2010 with a payroll around $40MM. 

"There's no question there's good value out there," said (GM Jed) Hoyer, who declined to comment on which players the Padres have targeted. "Certainly we have money to spend. We're going to spread it around to some of our needs. There's a lot of good players."

Hayes says the club's biggest needs are a veteran pitcher, a righty hitting outfielder, a utility player, and a veteran catcher. We've already seen them connected to Mike Redmond, Ramon Castro, Brad Ausmus, Jerry Hairston Jr., Randy Winn, and Reed Johnson, while Hayes throws Josh Fogg's name into the mix.


Padres Free Agent Targets

As you might expect, new Padres GM Jed Hoyer is searching for bargains on the free agent market.  MLB.com's Corey Brock names names.

The Padres' first goal is to add a veteran catcher to back up Nick HundleyMike Redmond and Ramon Castro are on the radar, Brad Ausmus less so.  Castro has shown pretty good power for a catcher, with a .415 career SLG.

Outfield targets include Jerry Hairston Jr., Randy Winn, and Reed Johnson.  Hairston, of course, can handle the infield as well.  These players figure to land contracts of $2MM or less, in my opinion.


Twitter Rumors: Capps, Felix, Harden, Pierre

A fresh batch of Twitter rumors, for those of you with extra-short attention spans…

  • MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch learned that the Pirates plan to tender a contract to Matt Capps.
  • Stubborn Dodgers GM Ned Colletti says he has no regrets about not offering arbitration to Randy Wolf, reports Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. TimesHernandez also notes that the Dodgers are considering Ronnie Belliard, Craig Counsell, Juan Uribe, and Jamey Carroll as second base options.  The Reds also like Carroll, says MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.
  • Yahoo's Steve Henson says the Rockies are open to re-signing Jason Marquis at a reduced number (less than the $9.875MM he made in '09).
  • SI's Jon Heyman believes Felix Hernandez is seeking six years and $100MM, while the Mariners are thinking four years plus an option at less than $50MM.  That phrasing makes a possible divide seem larger than it is, since those last two years of the deal would be the most expensive (more than $15MM per year).  At any rate, Shannon Drayer and Mike Salk learned that no numbers have been exchanged on Felix yet.
  • La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune says White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen wants Mike Redmond to back up A.J. Pierzynski.
  • MLB.com's Steve Gilbert says the Rangers may have interest in arbitration-eligible D'Backs infielder Augie Ojeda.  The Rangers added Joe Inglett off waivers, but were said to still be looking at utility infield candidates.
  • Morosi tweets that Rich Harden is "willing to sign a one-year deal with a lot of incentives."  Will he exceed Brad Penny's $7.5MM base salary?  Morosi names the Red Sox, Yankees, and Mariners as the most serious suitors. 
  • Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says the Tigers have interest in Juan Pierre, and are "looking for a third team to supply the pitcher L.A. needs."  Odd, since the Tigers have more bad pitching contracts than anyone.  The Tigers apparently prefer to unload Carlos Guillen.
  • Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says the Pirates are not interested in bringing back Brian Giles.
  • ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Red Sox "have two or three teams they could trade Mike Lowell to right now" if they'd take a similar contract back.  Looking at our Bad Contract Swap Meet I don't see any obvious matches for one year and $12MM.
  • There's been some tire-kicking with the Phillies and Ron Mahay, writes Andy Martino of the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Red Sox were linked to Mahay by Michael Silverman on MondayMartino also says the Phillies met with John Smoltz's agent this morning, "but discussions remain informal."
  • Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star characterizes the White Sox and Red Sox interest in Coco Crisp as "low-level," but says that's still more than the Royals have shown.  Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says the White Sox would consider Crisp, Mike Cameron, and Marlon Byrd. ESPN's Mike Salk notes that the Mariners spoke to Byrd's agent.
  • Dutton also has the Red Sox eyeing Ryan Shealy on a minor league deal.
  • Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports names the most asked-about Padres: Heath Bell, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and Adrian Gonzalez (in that order).  He says the Padres are "not hearing anything compelling on Bell."  MLB.com's Corey Brock says about eight teams inquired on Kouzmanoff.  Surprised not to see Kevin Correia mentioned by Rosenthal.  He'd be a great affordable option for a team like the Brewers.  ESPN's Buster Olney heard from rival execs who expect the Padres to get second-line prospects for Kouzmanoff and Correia.
  • The Mets appear to find a Luis Castillo deal unlikely, says Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
  • ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Yankees are shopping their #1 pick in tomorrow's Rule 5 draft, which they acquired for Brian Bruney.  If they don't trade the pick, Yahoo's Steve Henson says the Yankees could use it on pitcher Arquimedes Caminero.

Odds & Ends: Atkins, Twins, Carlyle

Links for Friday, as the free agent market officially opens…