- Phillies Extend Grady Sizemore For 2015
- Braves Name John Hart President Of Baseball Operations
- Phillies Extend Jerome Williams For 2015
- Brian Roberts To Retire
- Rangers Hire Jeff Banister As Manager
- Dodgers Hire Andrew Friedman As President Of Baseball Operations
- Diamondbacks Hire Chip Hale As Manager
- Orioles Extend J.J. Hardy
- Jeff Bridich Named Rockies GM; O'Dowd, Geivett Step Down
- Josh Beckett To Retire
- Yasmany Tomas Declared Free Agent
- Astros Hire A.J. Hinch As Manager
- Twins Remove Ron Gardenhire From Manager Role
- Reds Extend GM Walt Jocketty
- Diamondbacks Fire Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell
- Diamondbacks Hire Dave Stewart As GM
- Mets To Extend Sandy Alderson, Retain Terry Collins
- Yankees Claim Eury Perez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Latest On Joe Maddon
- Quick Hits: Astros, Towers
- Poll: Will Maddon Manage In 2015?
- AL Notes: Rays, Montreal, Vargas
- East Notes: Nationals, Phillies, Hamels, Rays
- Red Sox Notes: Maddon, Davis, Breslow
- NL Notes: D-Backs, Nationals, Braves, Mets, Pirates
- Notes On Joe Maddon: Rays, Cubs, Sandberg
- Offseason Outlook: Pittsburgh Pirates
- Pirates Acquire Sellers, Designate Axford And Gomez
- Week In Review: 10/18/14 – 10/24/14
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 3
- Miguel Cabrera, Adam Wainwright Undergo Surgery
- Royals Designate Liam Hendriks For Assignment
- Victor Martinez To Seek Four-Year Deal
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Pablo Ozuna Rumors
According to Scott Lauber of the Wilmington Journal, the Phillies have released 34-year-old infielder Pablo Ozuna.
Ozuna was batting .294/.342/.396 with no home runs and 15 RBI in 187 at-bats at Triple-A Lehigh Valley before he was suspended for a positive PED test in June. He appeared in 68 major league games last season during stays with the White Sox and Dodgers.
- Pablo Ozuna…designated for assignment again. Additionally, the Phillies cut Andy Tracy. The 34 year-old hit .288/.377/.516 in Triple A this year.
- Eddie Bajek added AL infielders to his Elias rankings. Orlando Cabrera and Edgar Renteria are Type As, while Mark Ellis and Mark Grudzielanek are Type Bs. Cabrera could net the Sox some picks.
- The Phillies would like to bring Jamie Moyer back next year, but so far they’ve only had informal talks. Earlier this month Moyer spoke of an obligation with the Phillies, but he is not under contract for ’09. The Phillies have also had informal talks with Pat Burrell, who’s said he wants to stay.
- Richard Griffin discusses A.J. Burnett quite a bit in his mailbag, suggesting this is the pitcher’s best season because of his career-high win total.
- Athletics Nation talks to A’s owner Lewis Wolff about the Michael Inoa signing.
- Omar Minaya’s job is secure.
- Aaron Harang has suggestions for the Reds to make their ballpark more pitcher-friendly.
- Tom Glavine is feeling good after somewhat minor elbow surgery, but isn’t sure about playing in ’09. Ken Rosenthal wrote recently that Glavine wants to pitch next year.
- Grant at McCovey Chronicles gives his take on pitch counts.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Aaron Harang | Atlanta Braves | Chicago White Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Jamie Moyer | Los Angeles Dodgers | Michael Ynoa | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | Omar Minaya | Orlando Cabrera | Pablo Ozuna | Pat Burrell | Philadelphia Phillies | Tom Glavine | Toronto Blue Jays
Ken Gurnick from MLB.com writes that the Dodgers signed veteran utility player Pablo Ozuna today. The White Sox designated Ozuna for assignment on July 8 to make room for Paul Konerko when he returned from the DL. He elected to become a free agent after clearing waivers. Ozuna had posted a mediocre line of .281/.313/.328 in 69 plate appearances for the White Sox this year.
Luis Maza was designated for assignment to make room for Ozuna, Gurnick writes. Maza was called up as a quick shortstop fix earlier in the year, but had posted an abysmal .228/.278/.282 line through 79 ABs with the Dodgers.
Manager Joe Torre refers to Ozuna as a "safety net" at three positions, and also expects the Dodgers to continue to be active over the next 10 days:
"I know Ned [Colletti, general manager] is on the phone, trying to make our club better," Torre said. "Chances are, we’ll be active. Having said that, we’re trying."
Gurnick mentions that the Dodgers are hesitating to bring pinch-hitting specialist Mark Sweeney off the DL, perhaps signaling that an additional move is near on the horizon. General Manager Ned Coletti said that with shortstop options limited in Rafael Furcal’s absence, his desire to acquire a run-producing third baseman would intensify.
Personal speculation: Adrian Beltre is available, and the Twins look to have thrown in the towel on their attempt to acquire him, but the asking price there is quite high. Minnesota could still offer competition to the Dodgers in an attempt to acquire a third baseman. Here’s a look at the third base market.
Casey Blake’s name has been tossed around with the Dodgers. Hank Blalock could be another option, if he can remain healthy and return to his old self. His great run from 2003-2005 seems like a long time ago at this point, but a turnaround would be a tremendous boost to the Dodgers’ lineup.
Paul Konerko is coming off the DL. To make room for him, the White Sox decided to designate utility man Pablo Ozuna for assignment. Juan Uribe‘s spot is safe for now.
Ozuna, 33, hit .281/.313/.328 in 69 plate appearances this year. Ozuna had success in ’06, but fractured his fibula in May of ’07 and hasn’t done much since.