DL Apps + FB
- Dodgers Acquire Darwin Barney
- Giants Acquire Jake Peavy
- Cardinals To Sign A.J. Pierzynski
- Yankees Acquire Chris Capuano From Rockies
- Mariners Acquire Kendrys Morales
- Tigers Acquire Joakim Soria
- Yankees Acquire Chase Headley
- Giants Sign Dan Uggla
- Angels Acquire Huston Street
- Astros Fail To Sign Aiken, Nix, Marshall
- Braves Release Dan Uggla
- Sabathia To Undergo Arthroscopic Surgery, Miss Rest Of Seasoni
- Red Sox Release A.J. Pierzynski
- Royals Acquire Jason Frasor
- Yankees Acquire Jeff Francis
- Marlon Byrd Reveals Four-Team No-Trade Clause
- Cardinals Claim George Kottaras
- White Sox Sign Carlos Rodon
- Masahiro Tanaka Has Slightly Torn UCL
- Brandon Phillips Tears Ligament In Thumb
- Yadier Molina Out 8-12 Weeks For Thumb Surgery
- Indians Acquire Chris Dickerson
- Aiken Has Elbow Injury; Astros Seeking Discounted Deal
- Blue Jays Claim Nolan Reimold
- Yankees, D'Backs Swap Nuno, McCarthy
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Rusney Castillo To Have Private Workouts For Two Teams
- Mariners, Orioles Have Inquired On Lester
- NL East Rumors: Marlins, Phillies, Byrd, Bastardo
- Mets Rumors: Alderson, Syndergaard, Dice-K
- Astros Open To Trading Keuchel, McHugh, Cosart
- Royals Acquire Liam Hendriks, Erik Kratz
- Mariners Sign Brayan Hernandez
- Dodgers Acquire Darwin Barney
- Rakuten Golden Eagles Sign Nick Evans
- A’s Designate Kenny Wilson For Assignment
- Mariners, Braves Most Active Teams For Denorfia
- Suzuki Extension Looks Unlikely For Twins
- Phillies Make Hamels Available; Dodgers Interested
- Stark’s Latest: Lester, Miller, Byrd, Kemp, Danks, Rios
- Yankees Designate Jeff Francis For Assignment
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Pablo Ozuna Rumors
According to Scott Lauber of the Wilmington Journal, the Phillies have released 34-year-old infielder Pablo Ozuna.
Ozuna was batting .294/.342/.396 with no home runs and 15 RBI in 187 at-bats at Triple-A Lehigh Valley before he was suspended for a positive PED test in June. He appeared in 68 major league games last season during stays with the White Sox and Dodgers.
- Pablo Ozuna…designated for assignment again. Additionally, the Phillies cut Andy Tracy. The 34 year-old hit .288/.377/.516 in Triple A this year.
- Eddie Bajek added AL infielders to his Elias rankings. Orlando Cabrera and Edgar Renteria are Type As, while Mark Ellis and Mark Grudzielanek are Type Bs. Cabrera could net the Sox some picks.
- The Phillies would like to bring Jamie Moyer back next year, but so far they’ve only had informal talks. Earlier this month Moyer spoke of an obligation with the Phillies, but he is not under contract for ’09. The Phillies have also had informal talks with Pat Burrell, who’s said he wants to stay.
- Richard Griffin discusses A.J. Burnett quite a bit in his mailbag, suggesting this is the pitcher’s best season because of his career-high win total.
- Athletics Nation talks to A’s owner Lewis Wolff about the Michael Inoa signing.
- Omar Minaya’s job is secure.
- Aaron Harang has suggestions for the Reds to make their ballpark more pitcher-friendly.
- Tom Glavine is feeling good after somewhat minor elbow surgery, but isn’t sure about playing in ’09. Ken Rosenthal wrote recently that Glavine wants to pitch next year.
- Grant at McCovey Chronicles gives his take on pitch counts.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Aaron Harang | Atlanta Braves | Chicago White Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Jamie Moyer | Los Angeles Dodgers | Michael Ynoa | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | Omar Minaya | Orlando Cabrera | Pablo Ozuna | Pat Burrell | Philadelphia Phillies | Tom Glavine | Toronto Blue Jays
Ken Gurnick from MLB.com writes that the Dodgers signed veteran utility player Pablo Ozuna today. The White Sox designated Ozuna for assignment on July 8 to make room for Paul Konerko when he returned from the DL. He elected to become a free agent after clearing waivers. Ozuna had posted a mediocre line of .281/.313/.328 in 69 plate appearances for the White Sox this year.
Luis Maza was designated for assignment to make room for Ozuna, Gurnick writes. Maza was called up as a quick shortstop fix earlier in the year, but had posted an abysmal .228/.278/.282 line through 79 ABs with the Dodgers.
Manager Joe Torre refers to Ozuna as a "safety net" at three positions, and also expects the Dodgers to continue to be active over the next 10 days:
"I know Ned [Colletti, general manager] is on the phone, trying to make our club better," Torre said. "Chances are, we’ll be active. Having said that, we’re trying."
Gurnick mentions that the Dodgers are hesitating to bring pinch-hitting specialist Mark Sweeney off the DL, perhaps signaling that an additional move is near on the horizon. General Manager Ned Coletti said that with shortstop options limited in Rafael Furcal’s absence, his desire to acquire a run-producing third baseman would intensify.
Personal speculation: Adrian Beltre is available, and the Twins look to have thrown in the towel on their attempt to acquire him, but the asking price there is quite high. Minnesota could still offer competition to the Dodgers in an attempt to acquire a third baseman. Here’s a look at the third base market.
Casey Blake’s name has been tossed around with the Dodgers. Hank Blalock could be another option, if he can remain healthy and return to his old self. His great run from 2003-2005 seems like a long time ago at this point, but a turnaround would be a tremendous boost to the Dodgers’ lineup.
Paul Konerko is coming off the DL. To make room for him, the White Sox decided to designate utility man Pablo Ozuna for assignment. Juan Uribe‘s spot is safe for now.
Ozuna, 33, hit .281/.313/.328 in 69 plate appearances this year. Ozuna had success in ’06, but fractured his fibula in May of ’07 and hasn’t done much since.